Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long have you had your C?

Yeates689
Explorer
Explorer
Hey,
I am the proud owner of a 2013 Thor Chateau 24C that I love and want to own for a long tome. For retirement planning purposes, I wonder how long I can reasonably expect to have this rv if maintained well? I am about 6-8 years out, and wonder if you all experience long life with Cs.

How long have you had yours?

Bob
32 REPLIES 32

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
We took delivery just over a year ago. Have taken six trips and had a wonderful each time...and learned a lot about RVing vs. camping! We like our camper and while we still sit outside all the time, just like with the tent, really love this...:C

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is a 2011 that was bought new, that has been owned just shy of 3 years. It has 21,000 miles on it. It was the exact model, floor plan and chassis I wanted, and got it for a good price too.

My game plan is to own it for at least 10-12 years and 75-80k miles. The way things are going, I may keep it a few years more than that until I retire, and buy the next and final RV at that point for the next 12-15 years.

It does come down to chassis and house maintenance, along with frequent use. Example: I check and recaulk windows and seams twice a year at the beginning and end of camping season.
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2004 Fleetwood 'C' that I purchased new in 2003, with 40,000 miles on it now. The largest part of that was a Cincinnati to Anchorage, AK trip. About 10,000 miles, round trip. I store it in a heated building that I own, so it still looks new. Its in the shop now, as I haven't been anywhere in a couple of years. I'm planning a trip to visit friends in Venice, FL. in a couple of months, so its in the shop with instructions to "check out everything from bumper to bumper and fix what's broken". That bill ought to be a dandy, but I'd rather fix it here than on the road.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
I bought mine new in 2008. Prior to that I owned a 2001 and traded in 2008 for the one I own now. I expect to get several more years out of this one.
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

5Mainecampers
Explorer
Explorer
We've had our '98 Coachmen for 3 1/2 yrs.... We bought it w/ 112K well maintained miles; we've put 5K miles on it ourselves since---- keeping up with maintenance (new roof last year) and we expect to get several years of trouble free fun. The key is the upkeep and most motor homes will last years. The Class C chassis (Ford 450 and Chevy 4500) regularly clock 200K as work trucks (delivery box trucks, etc)

tboss
Explorer
Explorer
16 years ..finally got her paid off,now she is all mine///still runs and looks like new..If I only could afford to fuel her up Id go some where..

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hi Ray and June! Glad see another clipper out here amongst all these young-uns. 🙂

I guess when you find the best, you hang on to it.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our MH new in 2004. It was our 3rd RV. Our first was a small TT. In'04 we bought a larger TT and bigger truck, totaled both first time out. A couple of months later we bought our current Class C. We will probably keep it as long as we continue to RV.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
3.5 years here !
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
10 years, bought it when it was four years old. Will keep it until the kids take the keys from me.
Only way you win is buy it right and once and drive it till the wheels fall off. In my opinion

Ray___June
Explorer
Explorer
Drive a '75 American Clipper that my dad bought new. I maintained it for him, and bought it from him in '85. We still drive it about 3000-5000 miles a year.

It's 39 years old. Do you know how old that is in Dodge years?
Sold the house, retired, and full timing. 15 years of dreams come true!

2015 Itasca 33C, Black Garnet
2013 Honda CRV EXL toad
Roadmaster Sterling all terrain tow bar
Roadmaster Tow Shield
Roadmaster Guardian
SMI "Stay-in-Play" Brake system
ISL "Toad Charge"

Gunner45
Explorer
Explorer
My parents had their Minnie Winnie for 20+ years until they sold it to my sister and BIL just this year.

We've only had our C for one year, but look forward to a very long relationship with it 🙂

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
I've had my Tiger CX, bought new, for 8 1/2 years and just over 60K miles.

One thing that I think will extend the life of any RV is covered storage when not being used. It keeps the direct sun exposure off of it, reduces the need for washing & waxing, and at least defers leak damage. Depending on your building codes, you may be able to put a low-end metal carport over it for $3-4,000.

Jim, "Why do I wear loud socks? To keep my feet awake!"
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

Sea_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
Bought our /93, 22ft classC in 2000.
It now has 270000 kilometers.

We are leaving next week for an extended tour
of the Canadian maritime provinces.

Over the years, we have replaced several components
including, trannie, fridge and engine air conditioning.

We have no desire to trade as we have never seen a unit
that we like better.
Life is short,Death is long,
Take a vacation.