cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

Chicknnhead
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at buying myself a 76 dodge 360v8 class C
i posted my questions the begining RV section, so i won't post them again here, but this site and especially this thread is great
hope to talk to you more as i actually purchase the RV
which hopefully will be this weekend
thanks
Mick

grousehunter_61
Explorer
Explorer

Hope this will get you to some photos of the Fireball, go to pictures , our is the 5th one down.
Rodger & Teri

1985 Sportcoach / crosscountry
1983 Camaro / 1971 Chevy 4x4
chessie's named sonny & choc and a red setter named star
http://sportcoach.blogspot.com/

Grand_Slam_79
Explorer
Explorer
The speedo needle bouncing all over the place is probably caused by a dry and/or bad speedometer cable. I'd try lubing your existing cable first, with that dry, graphite powder stuff. You disconnect the cable from the speedo head, pull the inner cable out, coat it with the lube, and slide it back in. It's usually the upper cable, from the cruise control unit to the speedo head that gets sticky, but it could also be the cable from the trans to the cruise control. Does the cruise work? If it does, the lower cable is not the problem. See if that solves the problem, or at least makes it better. If it helps but doesn't fix the problem, you could try replacing the cable. I kinda save that as a last resort, 'cause getting the right replacement cable seems almost impossible.

If lubing the cables doesn't help at all, then the speedo head must be going south. Trying to find one of those for an old Dodge will be a real treat. I'd look in junkyards that specialize in old Mopar parts. (Maybe on the internet, if there's nothing locally.) Here in Chicago, the normal junkyards won't have anything that old. Obviously, the speedo for a Dodge class B or C MH will be the same as one for a van.
Randy Reed
Spring Grove, IL

munkalido
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone tried to calibrate their own speedo? Mine is all over at low speed, bouncing between zero and 20... and about 7-10 miles high when doing 60 (says 69) and gets worse the faster I go. I keep a GPS handheld with me when I drive to know what the facts are:>

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello EdgarTheBear, Grousehunter61,lyon1976 and Hurseygirl!

And Welcome!!! Edgar, you and I share a common thing- my
tribal name is Standing Bear. And we are becoming numerous.
All I can say guys and gals is "Don't stop now!!!" And thanks
Edgar for the post on the various chassis designations. We need
more guys like you! Keep it coming, man!

Alicia, stick around, ask questions, and get your husband
online, maybe even your father in law too. Me and my wife
are working on our 1972 MB300 based 20' Mobile Traveler as we go,
and I for one would be happy to help you guys locate stuff
for your RV, if you decide to go that route. Either way, I'm
happy you're here.

Rodger and Teri- I'd love to see some pix of that Fireball!
Do you have some in a gallery? Turn 'em loose on us!! And
that goes for you too Hurseygirl- I'd love to see your rig!

We'll either get them to pop open a forum for us or I'll start one.
Once again, welcome and please, stick around, post and let's keep
rolling here. We may be the ONLY group of our kind on the 'Net.
Think about it...

your greasy compadre...

Mark a.k.a. whiteknight001

EdgarTheBear
Explorer
Explorer
As for the Letter Designation of Dodge Based MotorHomes, here is what the Factory Official Dodge Service Manual says : B300 can be a Van, a "Wagon", a "Maxi-Van",or a Maxi-Wagon".
MB300 is a "Front Section", which is the Incomplete "Van Chassis" that is purchased by the Varied Coach Builders, from which they produce the finished Class C Motorhome.
A CB300 is a Category for Chassis that are destined to become the "Ryder" or "U-Haul" TYPE of Hauling Truck with a rectangular "Box".
(In Later Years, the "300" is Re-named to be "350".)
Edgar[purple][/purple]

tkahike
Explorer
Explorer
Hursygirl I'm running close to yours, and I get about 8-10mpg depending on load and weather.
Its smarter to be lucky then its lucky to be smart!

1986 29' Corsair travel trailer with a 2001 Suburban 1500

My other favorite forum: www.MINIONREPORT.net

hurseygirl
Explorer
Explorer
we have a 76 champion class c 20ft motorhome on a dodge sportsman chasis.It was completely restored inside and out when we bought it.Man who redid it did a great job.we haven't used her as much as we thought we would .just having trouble finding the time.It has a 360.Not sure what kind of gas mileage.Would be interested in finding out what a average mpg is for a rig of this kind.

lyon1976
Explorer
Explorer
I'm Alicia. My father in-law recently moved a dodge "persuader" into my backyard. I think it's a cute rv and i have never been interested in these things until now. I have searched high and low on the internet for any info about dodge rv;s and can't find a single thing. I would love to convince my husband to repair the vehicle but we can't afford to much at one time. Anyways, the only thing even close is a damon? escaper model. I saw the interior pics and it looks exactly like it! I think I was seeing things but i would love any help. The condition is grim. The only good thing about this rv is that it RUNS! the interior is pretty beaten up and all the windoww have been busted by kids etc. i haven't the courage yet to climb the rickety ladder to look in the roof box. i hope you're happy to hear there's one more out there.
Thanks, Alicia.

Jay_-n-_Lori
Explorer
Explorer
Munkalido,

The difference between the B300 and the M300, M400, and M500 is pretty simple, the B300 is a van frame, class C type. The M300,400,& 500 are class A frames, I am not sure what the MB300 is.

As far as headers and free flowing exhaust on the 440, I noticed more of a HP improvement over an MPG improvement. I had custom headers built for my 440 and found a remarkable increse in powerbut only gained abou 1-1.5 MPG fuel savings.

Jay

munkalido
Explorer
Explorer
I found mine is a MB400. Anyone have any idea what the differences are between an MB400, M400, B300, etc...?

My MB400, Sportsman is a 1976 Beaver Coach, 24' Monterey model. Sleeps 4 adults (two over cab, 2 on converted dinette). There are two lounge chairs next to the dinette.

I've replaced the front brakes, water heater and pump (5.7), carburetor, coil, wires, exhaust and a few tune up items.

I was wondering if there are headers for these and are they worth it? My exhaust manifold has a pin leak in it and I'm afraid they are on their last leg. I've been told that the 440 can really benefit from headers and free flowing exhaust.

I'm also contemplating putting a new intake on it. Is this worth it?

I have so many ideas and projects in mind I'm going to create a matrix in Accel and list them by priority, cost, effort and efficiency gained (if any). It will be fun bouncing these projects off you folks here on this board and help with direction.

grousehunter_61
Explorer
Explorer
Our coach is a 1974 Dodge Fireball, 24'. 360 motor. We replaced all the carpet. reupholstered the couch, replaced the mattress, rewired the lights, rebuilt the motor, trans, rebuilt the carb, window dressing etc. We get 13mpg on the road at 55 mph.
It's called the party model as it is open all the way back, makes it look a lot larger then it is.

Rodger & Teri

1985 Sportcoach / crosscountry
1983 Camaro / 1971 Chevy 4x4
chessie's named sonny & choc and a red setter named star
http://sportcoach.blogspot.com/

EdgarTheBear
Explorer
Explorer
WhiteKnight001 : Glad to read that our Dodge-based Thread has gotten such a following. My 1977 Dodge "MB300" Class C 24-footer has been parked in storage for a while, awaiting my rebuilding of the 440. I would sure like to hear from other folk, who have done repair/rebuild on the majestic "RB" Block 413/440 engines.
Edgar[purple][/purple]

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey Jay -n- Lori!! Welcome!!

I'm glad you're here! Jay, you may wind up being the
Forum Archivist- in fact, it'd (!) be interesting to
see just how much info all of us could pool together...
and your old B300- dang bud, I wish I'd known about
you lettin' it go- we could've found a home for it
among our ranks! Cayce aka VAIrishGrl was looking for one.
I'da sent her your way, man!

Stick with us close- there's a few more surprises to come,
and some of the best association to be had on the 'Net!!!
BTW if you get a chance to check out the Roll Call post
here in Class C, hang a shingle and let us know you're in
our l'il convoy hee hee!

This is more than Class A,B or C- this is Vintage/Classic!
Once again Jay and Lori, welcome and please stick around.
It only gets better!

your l'il fat buddy

Mark a.k.a. whiteknight001

Jay_-n-_Lori
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a "new" one in August to replace my "old" one. I currently have a '77 Pace Arrow on the Dodge M400 frame with a 440 engine. In my opinion, it's the best MH i've ever been in. My old one was a Sportsman on the B300 frame with the 318 motor. I loved that old girl but we just outgrew it ๐Ÿ˜ž

Having a place like this to discuss things with other owner's of the same kind is invaluable. Fortunately, before I knew this place existed, I had a friend that used to sell and service these things when they were NEW so he was able to help with just about anything I needed to know including OE part numbers, and what would have been installed originally by the coach manufacturer. He has a ton of paperwork on these things, and I will be happy to share any info I have and ask him if I don't have it.

These were built like a motorhome should be built so let's keep them on the road!!!

Jay