cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
At least you have your priorities. ๐Ÿ™‚

We stayed in our RV for the first time this year over the weekend. Hooked water up, found a few things that needed to be tightened.

Apart from that, we secured the water heater, and the fresh water tank.
Replaced one more strip of molding that had shrunk.
Took our first steps backward, as I realized with the rear skirt attached, I could not get the eternabond or the expanding foam up there So we loosened it, and sealed everything up there, then put it back.
Installed the lights for the bunks and the bathroom, and put up the curtain rods and curtain in the bathroom so my oldest son could be the first to "break it in." It was apparently a big deal to him.
Tested out the gas for the fridge, and the stove.
Welded up some repairs to the fold out steps so they weren't so slanted down anymore you don't feel like you're going to slide off them anymore.
Found one leak in the septic plumbing right at the waste valve for the black tank... of course... where else would it be, right?

Planning on loading up next weekend, and going north. I can't wait to spend a weekend LIVING out of it instead of working on it.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Ken. It really is nice - having the torque converter explode was almost worth it to get the shift kit installed ๐Ÿ˜‰

We bled the front brakes before we took her out, too - the brake line that ran under the tranny (dang stupid place for it) went to the rf caliper - and have even more brake than we've ever had. We still have to bleed the rear drums because now we're not sure they're doing much - she dives a bit to the front on hard braking.

However, we are ready for our weekend trip. Water's more than full enough, propane is full, all 3 gas tanks are full, tranny fluid is full, oil is full...now we just have to fill the fridge and beer cooler (not necessarily in that order) :B
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

Kendas
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on getting it moving again... Saw the post on the other site.

Ken
1978 21ft Tioga Dodge 440 Motor,
4.5kw Generac and 80 watts Solar
1984 Goldwing Interstate (Daily driver)
Misc Things I've done to my RV pictures

USAF Retired
To Err is human... To Forgive is not SAC Policy.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, by the way: the Concord lives!

We got the improved (shift kit, a few different internals from a factory-rebuilt 727) LoadFlite with rebuilt torque converter reinstalled this weekend and got everything hooked back up (right the first time, no less) and took her out for a test drive today.

Much improved shift points, firmer shifts and better acceleration. All around a great thing - even better, she's ready to drive up to our Labor Day weekend race.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Dang, sorry I was right. To be honest, ours works but the outer sleeve is cooked a bit too - the inner cable still seems okay.

I don't know if the stock cable would work because we just saw that ours was messed up, too. So I haven't looked into it any....Griff? Whaddya think?

Kendas
Explorer
Explorer
On mine it looks like they just "unplugged" the stock cable and plugged it into the CC "brain" and then used a short cable to go from the transmission to the CC "brain" (big loop in the CC to speedometer cable) I wonder if the "stock" cable will work for a replacement? Comment Leeann? Griff? Others?

USAF Retired

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
Leeann,

You got it on the head. We need the one from the cruise to the speedo. I can't "lube" it, it was resting on the exhaust for a bit and it's cooked. I need to completely replace it.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
^ I do, too ๐Ÿ˜‰

Kendas
Explorer
Explorer
Leeann wrote:
It's primitive :B

Perfect Circle cruise control...the co. that invented it;)

Hey, I still even have the original troubleshooting sheet for the one that came with my '78

USAF Retired

Kendas
Explorer
Explorer
Before the advent of electronic speedometers with speed sensors, the only ways you could get a signal for a cruise control was either a "tach" signal, the speedometer cable, the drive shaft, or the axle shaft (front wheel drives). Dealers used the speedometer cable and after market (circa 1976) used magnets on one of the above "shafts" or the "tach" signal from the coil.

I installed my first CC in 1979 on a '78 Subaru DL Wagon. Have had on on every car and our RV since, even if I had to install it myself (replaced the Chrysler OEM unit on our RV with an Audiovox CCS100 and was able to keep the "OEM" head on the turn signal . Audiovox still makes the CCS100.

USAF Retired

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
It's primitive :B

Perfect Circle cruise control...the co. that invented it;)

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I stand corrected! But I've never seen a speedo cable having anything to do with cruise control before. Electronic/vacuum signals, yes, but speedo cable?

Oh well, learn something new everyday! :B
She ain't purdy, but at least she's slow!

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
No problem ๐Ÿ˜‰

If the speedo cable is like ours, a short one goes from the tranny to the cruise control, then a longer one from the cruise to the speedo.

Remove both pieces, pull the cable out of the sleeve, lubricate it then shove it back in. Try that...

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Eye- I don't think the speedo has anything to do with cruise control. Just get a new cable (taking your wrecked one with you).
She ain't purdy, but at least she's slow!

JulianTracker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Leeann and Griff for the information on the transmission pan. I sure appreciate the help-