cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

Spectramac
Explorer
Explorer
The hot ticket to pass emissions up here was always to pull the pcv valve out of the valve cover. As long as they didn't have to do an under hood check it worked like a charm.
Malcolm

Kendas
Explorer
Explorer
Good info Leeann!

I'll see if a couple of independents that are around here have the floats.

Plug wires are 7mm resistor and were changed along with the plugs (Champion OBL9Y .35 gap) just before I got the RV 3 years ago (I have the receipt and trust the PO as I've known her since we were both was fifteen). Coil is something I forgot about.. We used to have problems with them going "bad" on Uncle Sam's warehouse tugs (225 slant six) in the 70's.

I'll look at changing the thermostat too as I can tell you by the temp gauge that it not a 185ยบ stat or if it even has one. Temp stays low (less than a quarter) until a heavy load is put on it so I'll bet it's not even there (don't ask me why people in the SW do this, it doesn't help keep and engine cool). That's going to be "fun" too... Housing sits partially under the the York compressor sitting at 45ยบ above it for the aftermarket chassis A/C.

Ken
1978 21ft Tioga Dodge 440 Motor,
4.5kw Generac and 80 watts Solar
1984 Goldwing Interstate (Daily driver)
Misc Things I've done to my RV pictures

USAF Retired
To Err is human... To Forgive is not SAC Policy.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Ken, we got brass floats from our local parts place. I think he even had them in stock (not a chain place) along with a rebuild kit.

The bf wants to know what gap you're using on the plugs (and whether you're using a cold or hot plug) and says that despite being a female canine to change, you need to change them and the wires as well (they're resistor wires) along with the cap/rotor/PCV valve.

Also, have you checked the coil? Ours was weak and needed to be replaced. And how about thermostat? Have you ever replaced that? Some idiot put a 160ยบ t-stat in ours...when it calls for a 185ยบ stat.
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

Kendas
Explorer
Explorer
Okay engine w/TQ carb "gurus" the chassis needs some help. 440 bombs HC emissions (Idle standard only which is 300 PPM). Other than replacing the Air Cleaner, PCV, cap/rotor and oil what else? Plugs are only 3 years and 2500 miles (and a female canine to change). Haven't pulled the TQ apart yet (yes Griff, I know how touchy this can be on the TQ) as I need to find a source for the floats (would like brass if available but will take plastic if I can find any). Will "tweaking" the idle up and half a turn on the idle jets do anything for the HC?

New carb/throttle body injection is NOT in the budget so don't even go there please.

Thanks,

Ken
1978 21ft Tioga Dodge 440 Motor,
4.5kw Generac and 80 watts Solar
1984 Goldwing Interstate (Daily driver)
Misc Things I've done to my RV pictures

USAF Retired
To Err is human... To Forgive is not SAC Policy.

overdrive75
Explorer
Explorer
There is definately less room in the C, It will have to go infront of the radiator. Don't know that I will make it to the desert with our unit, but I don't see it as being a problem.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Good! A thermostatically controlled fan on it is a great idea if you plan on visiting the desert.

Ours isn't in front of the radiator, either. It's off to the side, behind the grille on the passenger side. Since we have an A (as do you), there was plenty of room to do it that way.

I'm not sure there's enough room to do it that way on a C, though.

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
Leeann wrote:
You might want to look into one that has a viscosity bypass for when it's colder, since you do plan on using MLP in the snow.

A mechanic from another site: "I run a B&M SuperCooler as it has a viscosity based bypass that will limit the overcooling affect in cold weather."

Thanks! B&M has a good reputation and I was concerrned about too much cooling, especially at minus 30 degree temperatures.

I am planning to travel to southwestern states so desert temperatures also concerned me.

I don't like putting the tranny cooler in front of the radiator so I'll probably put is elsewhere. (I don't like the tranny cooler's heat being passed through the radiator.) I'll add an electric fan to the tranny cooler. I will be adding a tranny temperature sensor and gauge so I could make the fan thermostatically controlled.
1970 Explorer Class A on a 1969 Dodge M300 chassis with 318 cu. in. (split year)
1972 Executive Class A on a Dodge M375 chassis with 413 cu. in.
1973 Explorer Class A on a Dodge RM350 (R4) chassis with 318 engine & tranny from 1970 Explorer Class A

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Griff in Fairbanks wrote:
Leeann - you've convinced me ... I'm adding a trans cooler, in addition to the in-radiator cooler to MLP.

Excellent (said in best Mr Burns voice) !

You might want to look into one that has a viscosity bypass for when it's colder, since you do plan on using MLP in the snow.

A mechanic from another site: "I run a B&M SuperCooler as it has a viscosity based bypass that will limit the overcooling affect in cold weather."

overdrive75
Explorer
Explorer
On the toad brakes, I am not to worried about it. It's not that I am not experienced with towing. I am. I currently own a boat that when on the trailer tips the scales at 13,000 lbs. (yes brake on this on all 3 axles). I also have a snowmobile trailer that when loaded is 6,000, brakes on here as well. I have towed cars in the past on tow bars and never ran with brake on them and never had any issues. The cherokee is not the lightest I have towed it is however far from the heaviest. Towing a car on a tow bar is a little different in that they do not sway. Also with the jeep being less than 1/3 the MH weight I an not worried about it passing me.

I will look into the deep pan since others are saying they did not have issues with similiar types camping.

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
overdrive75 wrote:
I am going to go with the big trans cooler, but I am going to skip the deep pan, as I am not sure I want to reduce my ground clearance any as I do like to remote camp up in the UP and some of the forest roads, might want to bite a deaper pan if you know what I mean.

I had a deep pan on my '77 Dodge B200 van. (318 LA small block and A727 automatic.) I spent a lot of time towing heavy boat trailers and a lot of time off-pavement. Never had any clearance or debris problems with the deep pan.

I'm with Leeann on the brakes. I've had heavy trailer loads try to take over the tow vehicle and it's no fun.

Leeann - you've convinced me ... I'm adding a trans cooler, in addition to the in-radiator cooler to MLP.
1970 Explorer Class A on a 1969 Dodge M300 chassis with 318 cu. in. (split year)
1972 Executive Class A on a Dodge M375 chassis with 413 cu. in.
1973 Explorer Class A on a Dodge RM350 (R4) chassis with 318 engine & tranny from 1970 Explorer Class A

Jer_Ger
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has the deep pan also and I do a lot of off road stuff without any clearance problems either. I like the fact of having a little extra fluid going through my system helping with the cooling some....Jerry
Jerry & Gerry, our pets (dogs), Byron, Coco
1976 Monaco, 440 ci. Dodge Sportsman chassis

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
You might be under the requirement, but I'd see how the rig braked going down a hill before I made my decision. Yes, the braking systems are expensive, but they could save your life.

My deep pan didn't get me anywhere near my axles - it's still inches above. So it didn't reduce my ground clearance one bit.

Pictures of the cooler....I think I'd have to take some.

overdrive75
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the tips. The jeep only weighs in at 3300 lbs. wet, I put it on the scale at the local landscape shop. I wanted to make sure I was legal without adding the "toad brakes" and I am am under the requirment of 3500 lbs in MI. I am going to go with the big trans cooler, but I am going to skip the deep pan, as I am not sure I want to reduce my ground clearance any as I do like to remote camp up in the UP and some of the forest roads, might want to bite a deaper pan if you know what I mean. Thanks for the inputs from everybody. Now does any one have any pictures of the trans cooler installed.

On a side not I didn't work on the RV yesterday, I did however work on camping stuff. I installed the base plate for the tow bar on the jeep. I need to figure out what I am doing for lighting now.

79powerwagon
Explorer
Explorer
A tranny cooler is a must! For a rig like these towing a 4500lb Jeep, you almost cannot get one too big! Add the deep pan, add the cooler, drive around awhile NOT loaded, recheck your fluid level, top it off as needed, then tow away! :B

We got another 8" of snow yesterday. Will Spring EVER come?
She ain't purdy, but at least she's slow!

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
I have both a deep pan and a good-sized aux cooler, but my radiator had been replaced by a PO with one that didn't have a built-in tranny cooler. We have ours installed to the side of our radiator behind the grille, since I have a lot of room to do that in an A.

With both, our tranny temp stayed low even when towing a race trailer up a 6500 ft. 'hill' in 90ยบ temps.