cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

alleykatz
Explorer
Explorer
I'm all for a "Classic" Forum! As a female doing as much repair/remodeling on my 1978 "Golden Oldie" as possible, I need all the info my pea brain can absorbed. Thank goodness for the 13 years in the Army as a mechanic so I have some idea what you all are talking back!
Jackie

TreeSeeker
Explorer
Explorer
There is a 1974 Lark TEC motorhome brochure for sale on Ebay right now. It's not the same year but probably close enough.

WeDoWhatWeWant
Explorer
Explorer
No Idea... 76 Dodge Sportsman... It also says TEC on the sides!

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome!

Do you have any idea wo built it....in other words, is Lark a model or manufacturer name? Googling the manufacturer mane should get you links to places where they might discuss that actual model. I've not heard of a Lark, but that means nothing...
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

WeDoWhatWeWant
Explorer
Explorer
We just got a 1976 Dodge Sportsman Lark for $900. It runs and has current tags and just needs some love. I have found a lot of manuals for the engine and drive train but nothing for the "home". We are really wondering what should be there and what shouldn't! Does anyone know where to find an owner's manual???

Rockwood74
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks a ton! I'll check in on it and let you know.

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
Rockwood74 wrote:
Its inspection time for the '74 Dodge Rockwood and for the most part all went great. I had to replace a few bulbs, windshield washer pump and the emergency brake cable....there lies the problem.

My mechanic is not having any luck finding the right E-brake cable. Any suggestions. He got one from Dorman(part# C93516)and also one from Wagner(BC88831). Both are too short.

Any advice on where to find the proper cable? My Dodge is on a 1974 B300 sportsman.
Thanks for any suggestions, I can't wait to get camping!
Joe

Try CarQuest BRK 8498 (Raybestos). If that's not right, try BRK 68420, which is the one for the school bus version of the 74 B300 chassis.

BTW - your actual chassis designation is MB300 but a lot of parts databases don't list that chassis so B300 is the "best" alternative ... and hope there wasn't any differences between the two chassis for the part you're looking for.

Yours may be a split year motorhome, in which case your chassis could actually be a 73 or even a 72. Look for the chassis VIN stamped in the frame above and a little to the front of the right front wheel. (Or, left front wheel -- Mother Mopar moved it to the other side at some point in history.)

The chassis VIN may not match the title VIN as the final body manufacturer (i.e., Rockwood) assigns the title year and VIN. On split year motorhomes, the chassis year is always older than the title year. Some coach manufacturers used the chassis VIN but most assigned their own VIN. (And a few, like Explorer, used either depending on when they built the coach.)

I also checked 73 MB300 but my Weblink didn't show a e-brake cable for that year & model. That simply means they didn't enter it in the online database. I have other resources for looking up older truck parts.

Weblink did show a cable for the 73 (and earlier) B300 Maxi -- p/n PIO CA-5044 (Pioneer).

If none of this helps, let me know and I'll keep digging.
1970 Explorer Class A on a 1969 Dodge M300 chassis with 318 cu. in. (split year)
1972 Executive Class A on a Dodge M375 chassis with 413 cu. in.
1973 Explorer Class A on a Dodge RM350 (R4) chassis with 318 engine & tranny from 1970 Explorer Class A

Rockwood74
Explorer
Explorer
Its inspection time for the '74 Dodge Rockwood and for the most part all went great. I had to replace a few bulbs, windshield washer pump and the emergency brake cable....there lies the problem.

My mechanic is not having any luck finding the right E-brake cable. Any suggestions. He got one from Dorman(part# C93516)and also one from Wagner(BC88831). Both are too short.

Any advice on where to find the proper cable? My Dodge is on a 1974 B300 sportsman.
Thanks for any suggestions, I can't wait to get camping!
Joe

TreeSeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Griff and Eyeteeth,

My ignition control is located just above the chassis battery on the firewall and I notice it has been leaking too. I think I better get a spare. I would just replace it, but it sounds like that might be just as risky (if the new ones fail prematurely).

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
eyeteeth - how close is it to a heat source? The coach builder may have put it in the wrong place and the extra heat might be causing them to fail prematurely.
1970 Explorer Class A on a 1969 Dodge M300 chassis with 318 cu. in. (split year)
1973 Explorer Class A on a Dodge RM350 (R4) chassis with 318 engine & tranny from 1970 Explorer Class A

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
Leeann wrote:
Funny, I've spent less in repairs and upgrades than those I know with brand new RVs.

You couldn't make me buy a new one.

Agreed.

As long as the coach is solid, unless you're like me and like to completely rebuild them.

Mostly, replace a few parts, upgrade a few others, do routine maintenance, and understand them.

Phantom59
Explorer
Explorer
I spent 5 years as a RV tech at a dealership and have first hand experience in the new pos

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Funny, I've spent less in repairs and upgrades than those I know with brand new RVs.

You couldn't make me buy a new one.

Phantom59
Explorer
Explorer
Found an interesting conversation on another site where someone was asking advice on buying an old Dodge RV. The major consensus was that buying any old RV was a big mistake because they were low quality when they were built and the just got worse with age. Pretty much don't waste your time buy something much newer.
Not sure about the rest of you but I love my 80 dodge and wouldn't trade it for a brand new class C.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, but it's a PITA ๐Ÿ˜‰

Sure!