cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

Ballenxj
Explorer II
Explorer II
CONGRATS Griff! ๐Ÿ˜„
BTW, I notice you have a 413 in your Dodge M375 chassis. How do you like it? I had a 413 in an older Winnebago Brave and LOVED it. It ran so good that I thought surely this engine belongs in a race car. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Downsizing ๐Ÿ™‚

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
WAHOO!! Yippee!! I'd buy the house a round if we were all together.

Back on page 598, I posted a list of parts for 1973 RM350 chassis.

Towards the end of the list I mentioned I hadn't been able to find replacement brake rotors ... guess what UPS just delivered to my door!!

Background: I've spent over two (almost three) years trying to get my hands on these, using every trick in my considerable repertoire. I managed to identify two manufacturers, with corresponding part numbers. However, I was repeatedly unable to find anyone, anywhere, that had any for sale. (I started to be concerned that they'd been dropped by the manufacturers but hadn't yet been cleared out of the catalogs & databases.)

During this time, I was working for a local parts store that was belong to a national chain. I cross-referenced the manufacturers' part numbers and ordered a pair of the rotors ... four times. Long story short, I was told after the fourth time ordering that they weren't available and to quit "clogging" the order system. The store boss also tried ordering the rotors twice, using other means of looking them up. Both of those times the ordered rotors came in but it was immediately clear they weren't correct ... being the '"high-hat" type suitable for RM300, CB300, B300, D300 and various other 1-ton Dodge chassis.

A couple of weeks ago, I was having trouble sleeping (service-connected issues) so I tried (again) to Google them to see if anything had changed.

It blew my mind ... sources popped up all over the place, with most claiming to have them in stock.

Most surprisingly, Amazon.com listed them ... through Amazon itself, not one of its associate retailers. At that time, they showed them as being out of stock (familiar story) but the listing said they had more coming. A week ago, just before the Alaska Permanent Fund Dividends showed up, the Amazon listing changed to indicate they had two in stock, which I promptly ordered.

After several days of expecting something to go wrong, they showed up at my doorstep.

I now have all the parts I need to completely restore and rebuild front end, to better than new specifications.

The rotors I got are manufactured by Centric, part number 120.67011. The Amazon.com page is http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001O95OAC/ref=pe_385040_121528360_TE_dp_1.

BTW: Amazon shipped them for free under their super saver offer. Also, the TWO rotors, through Amazon, cost less than my former employer wanted for ONE rotor, with my employee discount. (And, of course, were "unavailable".)
1970 Explorer Class A on a 1969 Dodge M300 chassis with 318 cu. in. (split year)
1972 Executive Class A on a Dodge M375 chassis with 413 cu. in.
1973 Explorer Class A on a Dodge RM350 (R4) chassis with 318 engine & tranny from 1970 Explorer Class A

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:

Thanks Leann! They're on my list to call. I've already checked with the parts store - no new product that matches is available. I know Dr. George's had a clipper out back for parts - my suspicion is that it will be a later model and not have the same sink setup, but I plan on checking this week with them.

If not, it's re-evaluation time.

Even if they don't have your model Clipper out back, they have, more than likely, stripped one in the past and have it on the shelf. They're really helpful and will go searching for a part if it's not listed.
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Leeann wrote:
Call these people. Lots and lots and lots of new and used parts.

http://www.rvdoctorgeorge.com/parts

Thanks Leann! They're on my list to call. I've already checked with the parts store - no new product that matches is available. I know Dr. George's had a clipper out back for parts - my suspicion is that it will be a later model and not have the same sink setup, but I plan on checking this week with them.

If not, it's re-evaluation time.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome!

You'll need to know who actually manufactured the coach, like Honey, Concord, Titan, Champion, Winnebago, etc; Dodge only made the chassis.

Other than that, you easily can find operating manuals for the different appliances in the RV just by searching the make and model of the heater, water heater, fridge, generator, AC, converter/charger, etc.

BerryB
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all!
I am so happy to find this string! We just acquired a 1979 Dodge Sportsman with the 440-3. It is in amazing shape considering the age and it seems it was well cared for up until a few years ago. We got it for a ridiculously low price and we're looking forward to doing the work ourselves to make this honey shine! I've found a manual on ebay for the front chassis but does anyone know if there is a general operating manual for the RV?

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Call these people. Lots and lots and lots of new and used parts.

http://www.rvdoctorgeorge.com/parts

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm hoping my fellow classic Dodge RV folks can help me.

I am trying to find a replacement for my bathroom sink faucet WITHOUT having to change the sink out.

Of course, a standard 4" centerset faucet will NOT work. Nope, must be contrary and be 2-3/4" centerset.

How about a single-hole faucet? Awesome! Nope, the two outer holes are only 3/4" diameter (faucets need about 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 inch diameter holes). the center hole is about half that diameter.

The hose threads are 1/2".

So, if anyone knows where I can get a 2-3/4" centerset faucet needing only 3/4" diameter outer holes, PLEASE let me know!

I'm currently checking out marine supplies for something.

Thanks a lot!
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
TreeSeeker wrote:
Leeann,

You're much luckier than me. My refer is very narrow and I have been looking for a used replacement for about 5 years. There is only one model that will fit, otherwise I have to tear out the cabinet and build an entire new one.

There is one new model made specifically to replace my old one, but it is about $900.

I bought a Dometic RM66 on Craigslist, which is a 5 cu ft reefer. I'm pretty sure from the opening that it originally had a 7 cu ft, but the PO had replaced it with a tall dorm fridge (held in with a bungie. Yeah, a bungie) My hubby, then bf, just made it fit with a couple pieces of luan. I needed the strips both at the top and on the side. You'd think it would have been shorter only, but it was much shorter and slightly narrower. You might look at one of those...it's a pretty danged nice fridge. And RVdoctorgeorge has a ton of replacement parts for them, too, should it be missing anything.

beniam
Explorer
Explorer
That is really clean looking,nice lines, especially with the white background, Very well done!

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
74dodgechinook wrote:
Here is a nice pic of the chinook lines repainted. I did them in an appropriate to 1974 avocado color. I like the funkiness of the 70s. ๐Ÿ™‚

Very nice!!!
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

TreeSeeker
Explorer
Explorer
Leeann,

You're much luckier than me. My refer is very narrow and I have been looking for a used replacement for about 5 years. There is only one model that will fit, otherwise I have to tear out the cabinet and build an entire new one.

There is one new model made specifically to replace my old one, but it is about $900.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Or look on Craigslist. I got a used but good 3-way RV fridge for $200. Best $200 I've ever spent.

I also upgraded my converter to a Progressive Dynamics Intellipower Converter/Charger with Charge Wizard (smart charger so it won't boil your batteries). I got a great deal on a refurb 45 amp 9100 series and got the Charge Wizard add-on for less than the comparable 9200 series, but the 9200 series comes with the Charge Wizard built in. That's the next-best $ I spent on my RV. Our original converter was frightening, not nearly as nice as yours. Open wires, metal blade switch...a fire waiting to happen.

TreeSeeker
Explorer
Explorer
This is what we figured, so, I need to save for new panels and inverter now.

A new gas/12vdc refer will be much cheaper. Otherwise you will need about 6 batteries (around $1200) PLUS the solar panels and a inverter (probably another $2000-3000).

A new refer isn't cheap at around $900, but it is way cheaper than the alternative. The refer runs almost entirely on gas with just a little 12vdc to run the controller.

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
There's an outfit (ABS Alaska) that specializes in off-grid and back-up power systems. They're very experienced in Alaskan (harsh) conditions, widely varying amounts of seasonal sunlight, and remote (roadless) areas.

I go to them when I have questions, need someone to look over my (sometimes screwball) schemes, and get quality parts. (I always have them make my battery cables because they use arctic grade components.)

They have a lot of info on their site and you might want to ask them about consultation fees.

BTW - Most remote, off-grid systems up here use a generator, large battery bank, solar panels, and inverters. We also use propane refrigerators and stoves to minimize electrical requirements.
1970 Explorer Class A on a 1969 Dodge M300 chassis with 318 cu. in. (split year)
1972 Executive Class A on a Dodge M375 chassis with 413 cu. in.
1973 Explorer Class A on a Dodge RM350 (R4) chassis with 318 engine & tranny from 1970 Explorer Class A