cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
Wolf_n_Kat wrote:
Woohoo!!

classicwinnebagos.com came up with a decoder - Griff's right, it's an MB300 chassis, engine code says 360 2-bbl (not the 383 we were told), assembly plant was "Warren Truck Compact". Maybe the engine was replaced though.

Wow, this is fun and we haven't even pulled out of the yard yet!
The 383 was phased out in the late 60's/early 70's.

Engine could not have been swapped without changing the transmission. The small blocks (273, 318, 340, 360) have different bell housing bolt pattern than the big blocks.

To tell which is which, look at the distributor. The small blocks have the distributor in the rear of the engine and the big blocks have them in the front, above the water pump. This happens to make the small blocks easy to time in vans and motorhomes.

The most significant difference between the 360 and the other small blocks is the oil pan. The 360 has larger main journals, necessitating larger "horseshoes" on the oil pan.

Personally, I like the small blocks, unless you're towing a heavy trailer over hills and mountains regularly. Among other things, it's possible to tweak them for (relatively) good gas mileage. (My '69 Class A got 14-15 mpg ... if I behaved.)
1970 Explorer Class A on a 1969 Dodge M300 chassis with 318 cu. in. (split year)
1972 Executive Class A on a Dodge M375 chassis with 413 cu. in.
1973 Explorer Class A on a Dodge RM350 (R4) chassis with 318 engine & tranny from 1970 Explorer Class A

Ballenxj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wolf_n_Kat wrote:
Woohoo!!

classicwinnebagos.com came up with a decoder - Griff's right, it's an MB300 chassis, engine code says 360 2-bbl (not the 383 we were told), assembly plant was "Warren Truck Compact". Maybe the engine was replaced though.

Have a Mopar person look at it. The 360 is a small block, and the 383 is a big block. Should be easy to spot.
OTOH, it probably is a 360 as they would have to change the transmission from a 727 A to a 727 B. That is if I recall correctly.
Downsizing ๐Ÿ™‚

Wolf_n_Kat
Explorer
Explorer
Woohoo!!

Wow, this is fun and we haven't even pulled out of the yard yet!

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
Wolf_n_Kat wrote:
Leeann, the Class C part I knew, it was the "I've got an X motorhome on a Chevy 3500 chassis." part I didn't know. Unfortunately this thing came with exactly zip for paperwork, so all I knew for sure was that it was a Dodge chassis. What model Dodge? The Dodge Beatsaheckouttame model. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I certainly appreciate the heads up on the VIN number - I'll hunt up a site that translates VIN's, and see what comes up! I certainly appreciate the layouts - the more I can learn about this monster (okay, at 19' it's not exactly a monster, but it's bigger than my Explorer, or my wife's F-150) the better I'll feel.

Ben, what part of Texas? I've got family all over the place there, as does my wife. If we ever decide to let our baby go (and that's a mighty big "IF"!), I'll let you know. I'd rather one of the nice people on the forum get it, than some stranger! ๐Ÿ˜‰
It's probably an MB300 chassis. The B series chassis is the vans and the M indicates motorhome or cut-away chassis.

Most sites (and parts houses) don't list the MB series so keep looking or yell and we'll try to help.

Most chassis, engine, and transmission parts will be the same as the same year B300, with the exception of the rear axle, which is probably a Dana 70. However, be careful; the listings for older 1-ton chassis often have errors.

On the plus side, Class C parts are easier to find than Class A's, which can get really "entertaining". (It only took me over 3 years to find front brake rotors for my '73 Class A.)
1970 Explorer Class A on a 1969 Dodge M300 chassis with 318 cu. in. (split year)
1972 Executive Class A on a Dodge M375 chassis with 413 cu. in.
1973 Explorer Class A on a Dodge RM350 (R4) chassis with 318 engine & tranny from 1970 Explorer Class A

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Mine was a '75...and, apparently, I only saved the diagram for mine. But here it is, just in case:

I'll look for the stuff from which I cropped that...
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

Wolf_n_Kat
Explorer
Explorer
Leeann, the Class C part I knew, it was the "I've got an X motorhome on a Chevy 3500 chassis." part I didn't know. Unfortunately this thing came with exactly zip for paperwork, so all I knew for sure was that it was a Dodge chassis. What model Dodge? The Dodge Beatsaheckouttame model. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I certainly appreciate the heads up on the VIN number - I'll hunt up a site that translates VIN's, and see what comes up! I certainly appreciate the layouts - the more I can learn about this monster (okay, at 19' it's not exactly a monster, but it's bigger than my Explorer, or my wife's F-150) the better I'll feel.

Ben, what part of Texas? I've got family all over the place there, as does my wife. If we ever decide to let our baby go (and that's a mighty big "IF"!), I'll let you know. I'd rather one of the nice people on the forum get it, than some stranger! ๐Ÿ˜‰

beniam
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum,1974 Eldorado,is a great motorhome,even greater engine,wish I had one of those..

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
El Dorado would be a Class C; Dodge Sportsman is indeed the generic name for that chassis. Your Dodge VIN number will tell you what actual model chassis you have. 383 is a great motor. I briefly had a 19' El Dorado with a 360. It had been partly gutted, so when I found the Concord, we sold it to a mechanic who needed it to sleep behind his shop during the week.

Somewhere on my computer upstairs I have a scan of the layouts; I'll see if I can find and post it tomorrow.

Wolf_n_Kat
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, you can count us in!! '74 Dodge El Dorado (no clue as to the chassis), 383 ci. I "think" it might be a Sportsman chassis, as that's what it's got on dash.

Expect LOTS of questions! ๐Ÿ˜„

Jer_Ger
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear you Spencer. You'll find lots of good people and plenty of help on old Dodge's.
Jerry & Gerry, our pets (dogs), Byron, Coco
1976 Monaco, 440 ci. Dodge Sportsman chassis

beniam
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome,the best place if you have a dodge..Great people,great talent,old,(seasoned)Ha..ben

Ballenxj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey Spencer, WELCOME Aboard! Yeah, this is a pretty friendly place with lots of knowledge too.
Downsizing ๐Ÿ™‚

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome, Spencer!

relaxin67
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, my name is Spencer. About 6 months ago I started reading this thread...I read about 400 pages so far. You people seem like good, quality folks. Two months ago my wife and I moved onto cheap land we bought, into our 1979 Dodge Sportsman Heritage 22' 360ci and our 1978 Dodge Sportsman Winnebago 23' 440ci...with our son, two cats, and two puppies. I'm an auto mechanic, so we got the RVs for very little money, needing carburetor rebuilds just to drive them "home"--we are now living OFF THE GRID! So peaceful here... Anyway, I enjoy your posts, and I'll try to post my own now and again. Plus I'll try again to post pictures. ๐Ÿ™‚

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1990 Class B Dodge now but still have fond memories of my 1976 Dodge Class C.

See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds