cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

Glenndolph
Explorer
Explorer
My bad... Mohave Valley, AZ just across the river is Needles, Ca... sorry Leeann

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
For those who might be interested, where are you located?
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

Glenndolph
Explorer
Explorer
OK... this is it... we just bought a house and the ole girl has to go... either to someone who is interested in her, a 77 dodge jamboree with a 440 or she is going to the scrap yard... we don't use it and it is just setting in the way... make me an offer... fix the power steering pump (i have the parts) and off you go... may need a battery... Glenn

The location is Mohave Valley, AZ, just across the river from Needles , CA. my cell is 928-444-0360

Honestly, if I had more energy, I would keep and update this unit.. but I don't any more... please give the ole gal a good home...

Tmmltn
Explorer
Explorer
Oops, forgot the link last time! Rv rebuild album

Ballenxj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tmmltn wrote:
i am just so proud! ๐Ÿ™‚

I'll bet you are. Cannot wait to see it.
Downsizing ๐Ÿ™‚

Tmmltn
Explorer
Explorer
I have not been around for awhile, but i have been busy with my poor ol neglected 76... i wanted to share some of our rebuild pics with you, we are not quite finished, but now that the inside looks like a home instead of a rotted mess, i am just so proud! ๐Ÿ™‚

Phantom59
Explorer
Explorer
I will definitely second the firestone air bags

Glenndolph
Explorer
Explorer
Not very much. You need to put some air bag helpers on... the springs have sagged due to age...

my440
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have the same predicament. 78 Sportsman with 16.5s I was wondering if the 16 inch tires/rims are smaller than the 16.5s and by how much?? My motorhomes rear end tends to scrape bottom on slight inclines as it is.

Phantom59
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.firmfeel.com/

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
Phantom59 wrote:
Firm Feel specializes in only Chrysler steering components. They machine out the bronze bearings and install real bearings. The Napa unit was around $250 but firm feel was over $500 with a $200 core. It was worth every penny.

Already looked at their site ... it looks like they specialize in cars and light duty trucks (up to B200, D200, M300, RM300, etc.). When I get around to it, I'll ask them if they can do medium duty trucks (1-1/2 ton and up).

I'm also bookmarking them for my daughter, for whenever she gets back to working on her '59 Savoy.
1970 Explorer Class A on a 1969 Dodge M300 chassis with 318 cu. in. (split year)
1972 Executive Class A on a Dodge M375 chassis with 413 cu. in.
1973 Explorer Class A on a Dodge RM350 (R4) chassis with 318 engine & tranny from 1970 Explorer Class A

Ballenxj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Phantom59 wrote:

But my best investment was after replacing my steering gear three times with rebuilt units I bought one from Firm Feel. It wasn't cheap but Dick guaranteed zero play in their unit.
Now I've gone from bump steer to instant response and straight down the road. Even cross winds or traffic ruts aren't much of a problem anymore.

Does Firm Feel by chance have a website?
Downsizing ๐Ÿ™‚

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
RFV wrote:
Hey all,

Thanks for the info. Is my only option to seek out old rims or can I replace with new ones? Are there modern rims equivalent for former 8.75R16.5LP setup but in 16" tire size?

Thanks!

Rudy

They're hard to find and tend to be very pricey. Worse yet, a few people out there promise wonders and deliver crap.

IMHO, you're best hunting for OEM rims and, if you want them pretty, having them stripped and powdercoated.
1970 Explorer Class A on a 1969 Dodge M300 chassis with 318 cu. in. (split year)
1973 Explorer Class A on a Dodge RM350 (R4) chassis with 318 engine & tranny from 1970 Explorer Class A

Phantom59
Explorer
Explorer
Firm Feel specializes in only Chrysler steering components. They machine out the bronze bearings and install real bearings. The Napa unit was around $250 but firm feel was over $500 with a $200 core. It was worth every penny.

Griff_in_Fairba
Explorer
Explorer
Phantom59 wrote:
I had a lot of wander problems with my dodge until I installed polyurethane bushings and a steering stabilizer. But my best investment was after replacing my steering gear three times with rebuilt units I bought one from Firm Feel. It wasn't cheap but Dick guaranteed zero play in their unit.
Now I've gone from bump steer to instant response and straight down the road. Even cross winds or traffic ruts aren't much of a problem anymore.

Agreed. Steering gear boxes, especially on older vehicles, do become loose. However, I'd try to rule out other, less expensive problems first. On my '90 Ford E150, greasing the kingpins does wonders to the steering feel.

Polyurethane bushings are definitely the way to go. OEM rubber bushings tend to disintegrate from age, regardless of the amount of wear and tear. Whenever I'm restoring an older vehicle, which is mostly what I do, I automatically replace the bushings and, as long as I'm doing it, the slight extra expense of polyurethane is well worth it.

I'm making note of Firm Feel and will investigate them. Thanks for the pointer.