cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,367 REPLIES 8,367

DeadeyeLefty
Explorer
Explorer
For anyone who's been following, that's great to hear.
Can you post a link to the 'winning' site you found after your long search ?

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
I spent many hours last night looking for a solution for my A/C Compressor clutch problem.

Any place I found that listed parts based off engine/year... gave me a bearing with the wrong dimensions. Eventually (hours later) I found a site that had a full page of nothing but A/C Compressor Clutch bearings, their applications, and dimensions. Anything listed for the Dodge were the wrong size. Well... correct ID and OD, wrong width. Until I stumbled across ONE that was the right dimension. But it didn't list anything for its application. Since I didn't feel like ordering and waiting a week to find out, I started cross referencing part numbers... manufacturers... distributors... Eventually found a place I could drive too.

Online... prices for these things ranged from $25 to $75. I ended up with one for $8. Installed it this afternoon and got it back together inside half an hour. She's runnin' smooth and quiet now.

Now, If only I could solve my speedometer cable issue.

69_cabana
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 1969 Cabana based on the M-300 we recently had some brake trouble. (See still restoring) But if you need brake parts or info these people are great.

"Alretta Truck Parts, Inc.

I would be happy to send contact info to anyone needing it. These folks know there stuff! I told him what I had and he told me what I needed and when he did'nt have the hardwear kit in stock gave me the part number to ask for at a local auto parts store. And we needed a new brake drum. He found a place in canada that is casting them again. Not cheap but new and nice. All the parts he sent were right and fit perfect. Made a dirty job a lot easier. And our brakes work very nice now.

I hope this can help someone. Finding info on these old rigs is "interesting"!

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Ugh, sorry eye. Mine didn't come with dash AC...I'll keep an eye out, though.
'73 Concord 20' Class A w/Dodge 440 - see profile for photo

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have a lead on re-manufactured... or good quality used A/C Clutch? After getting mine apart, there's some 'odd' wear. But the biggie... looking for a bearing for it... every source that lists a 'bearing' happens to have DIFFERENT dimensions! I have no clue which one I'm supposed to get. and they range in price from $8 to $80... Re-man complete A/C clutches seem to start around $120... so I'm thinking that may be a better option.

Kendas
Explorer
Explorer
Yep Leann... That's exactly how they did it.

Ken
1978 21ft Tioga Dodge 440 Motor,
4.5kw Generac and 80 watts Solar
1984 Goldwing Interstate (Daily driver)
Misc Things I've done to my RV pictures

USAF Retired
To Err is human... To Forgive is not SAC Policy.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
You are quite welcome ๐Ÿ˜‰

My impression of the Perfect Circle system is that they connected the stock cable to the CC box, then a short cable from the box to the speedo.

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
Leeann, you are amazing. I'm not sure my cruise is from perfect circle or not... hard to tell. but one interesting bit I did gleam, is that it claimed to use the 'existing' speedometer cable, which means I could theoretically purchase 'regular' cable, and not keep hunting for one specifically for cruise control. That may have made my search easier.

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome... that was what I needed. Thank-you sooo much. Got the pulley assembly off, and the pieces of the bearing fell out the back. Which is kinda awesome 'cause bearings are cheap compared to the whole clutch.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
Okey-dokey....

1. Loosen and remove the belts. Disconnect clutch field lead wire at the connector.

2. Remove the special locking bolt and the washer from the compressor crankshaft at the front center of the clutch.

3. Insert a 5/8" -11 x 2ยฝ" cap screw into the threaded portion of the hub assembly.

4. Support clutch with one hand, then tighten cap screw until clutch is removed.

5. Remove the 3 hexagon head screws attaching the clutch field assembly to the compressor and lift off the assembly.

Gimme a few mins and I'll scan the pages for you - they have nice pics.

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
I think you're right on the clutch puller. I had to really get in there to see it, but there just might be some threading there that I missed. I'm going to run to the store here in a bit to see what I can coble together. If you can come up with something else, lemme know.

Thanks a ton for the links.

Leeann
Explorer
Explorer
eye- everything I have on Perfect Circle - installation and troubleshooting:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hulymyjdzrz/Perfect%20Circle.zip

The only speedo cable p/n I can come up with is 3593 068, but it's 106" long. Oh, wait: 96" long is 1930 320.

These people might be able to help you - all you need is the measurements and your old ends: http://www.lokar.com/product-descriptions/speedometer-cables.htm

As for the AC compressor, I think you need a clutch puller, but gimme a minute...

eyeteeth
Explorer
Explorer
Diagrams or advice... on yet another topic...

Elsewhere I mentioned the A/C compressor Clutch caused me problems. After doing some research, there is apparently a bearing in there that is replaceable. So... I'm trying to remove the clutch to see what needs to be done to fix it.

Problem... apart from losening the belts and removing the bolt... I'm not sure what else I need to do to remove the clutch. I can't find any help online. Anyone have a diagram or destruction... I mean removal directions?

Kendas
Explorer
Explorer
The "third" electrical "thing" on the front of the firewall under the hood is the "panic/crash" mercury switch that is connected to the brake switch portion of the controller. It's used to disconnect to cruise in case of "sudden" deceleration in an accident.

Ken
1978 21ft Tioga Dodge 440 Motor,
4.5kw Generac and 80 watts Solar
1984 Goldwing Interstate (Daily driver)
Misc Things I've done to my RV pictures

USAF Retired
To Err is human... To Forgive is not SAC Policy.