cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How many of us are there? Owners of Dodge based RV's?

whiteknight001
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm new here, and curious.

How many of us in Class C own Dodge B300 incomplete
cab/chassis based RV's? I know two others- Steve aka
Ripsaw, with a 1977 Brougham, and Leroy aka 1978_Dodge
_Delta who owns a 440V8 powered sharp looking 1978
Delta RV. I would like to ask, and offer, help, idea
swapping and comparing notes on our particular RV's
which are based on the Dodge B300 van chassis.

Yeah, I know. These are low tech, podgy old RV's that
would be considered "entry level" for folks like me,
but I have a deep and abiding respect for the quality
of these old "monsters of the open road". And anyone
wanting to pick brains, joke about, share notes or just
brag about our old A- Dodge-io's are certainly welcome
to PM or email me. Between all of us we can form a real
good support group, and help each other with problems
we know we'll encounter with an older vehicle.

Sure. I'd love a new RV. But I'd rather have an older
one already paid for, and a lotta great memories. Call
me frugal, an old hippie, or whatever you will. I'm proud
of my old land yacht.

Mopar Madness Manifest in the flesh,

Mark aka White Knight

P.S. Mine's a '72. Is there an older one out there someone's
motorvating in? Maybe even a Travco? W/K
1972 Mobile Traveler 20' Dodge B300 Class C
"The Kobayashi Maru" Trans- Prarie Land Craft
"Requiescat in pace et in amore..."
8,369 REPLIES 8,369

donran
Explorer
Explorer
The previous owner of my 1976 360 Dodge Sportsamn installed the Edelbrock's Performer Series caruretor which was "calibrated and factory flow tested". Also installed the Edelbrock intake manifold and performance cam shaft and lifters. It still stalls when its cold unless you work the pedel to keep it running.
1976 Dodge Sportsman, Suveyor rig, "rustic" condition.

Mollywood
Explorer
Explorer
fourthclassC wrote:
Typical charastic of that vintage dodge 360 2bbl. Even with excellent carb reuild, my 73 360 still had a tendency to stall out after cold start. Learn to feather the gas pedel until its all warmed up. Check the base of the carb for vaccum leaks also.

Thanks much!
The original owner said essentially the same thing.
As a former MG and VW man feathering the gas is my specialty !

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
Typical charastic of that vintage dodge 360 2bbl. Even with excellent carb reuild, my 73 360 still had a tendency to stall out after cold start. Learn to feather the gas pedel until its all warmed up. Check the base of the carb for vaccum leaks also.

Mollywood
Explorer
Explorer
I just picked up a 1976 Dodge Sportsman Brougham in very good condition. It has a new rear end, gas tank, and other stuff.
Starts up fast and runs well.
Dodge 380 8cyl.
Though she can stall abit if your too fast on the gas pedal. But I'm hoping once she gets driven regularly she'll be alright.
Just a little 'puddle jumper' for a family of 4 (counting the hound)

And I know very little about this stuff. Any pointers on where get smart quickly on suich a topic please let me know.

Noodleman
Explorer
Explorer
Well, new tires, just finished putting new tile in, getting "The Delta" cleaned and ready for our first trip. Two challenges left. The fridge and the generator. Tried our fridge on gas. I can get an initial light off, then the flame dies. Found a blown fuse, wonder if that coulda caused it? Not being level is the other issue. The generator turns over but it's seen better days. Looks like the fuel lines are dry rotted and will have to be replaced. I'll probably end up either re-doing everything or biting the bullet and dumpin some more cash into having it done for me. Keepin the economy hummin!

unionguy1019
Explorer
Explorer
Well we just returned from our 2nd time out with the "chuck wagon" after repairs from the arguement it had with an oak tree the 2nd weekend in June. Had a good rainstorm last nite, no leaks could be seen. Would have stayed longer but the holding tanks were almost over flowing from the fri. nite party. Made a pot of camp stew, (love to cook over fires, hence the chuck wagon name), had 12 quarts made with 1 1/2 qts left over. Nobody went home hungry. Along with the camp pot also had roasted corn, burgers, dogs and snuck in some game birds from hunting. Got about another 2 months before we will have to chain the tires to go out in the woods. Didn't buy it to set in driveway over winter.
Here comes the [purple]"Chuck Wagon"[/purple]

donran
Explorer
Explorer
Well Noodleman you got more repairs that I need. My "previous owner" tried and spend money but got overwhelmed. He probably just got a new one.

Tires seem to be extremely important, lot of stories around here about the blowing out. My major problem is a lose part somewhere in the steering. This adds to "uncertainty" in steering.

I got "RV repair & maintenance manual" from Trailer Life dated 1980. Got it on Ebay for $12.00 bid plus shipping/handling. Very interesting, well worth getting if don't know much about what's going on doing with your RV.

Mean while my support vehicle (suppose to follow the RV around with generator, gas, water, tools) has a burned valve and looking at least $700.

tulsajohn1
Explorer
Explorer
I got a 77' dodge 360 Tioga 2 17 ft. It runs good but needs tlc. I am taking it to santa fe next month. Pray for me.......

Noodleman
Explorer
Explorer
Man! I put my Delta into the shop to see what it would take to get it road ready. Ouch. The previous owner didn't give it much TLC. As things broke he just stopped using them! We're doing fluid changes, tune up, shocks all around( they were rusted out, i was driving on the springs i believe)and various other "stuff". total hit around $1100. Then they checked the rear brakes. Rear brakes were siezed up. I didn't have rear brakes. add in approx. $550. Doing new tires next week to get it ready for labor day. The old tires had set for so long they had cracks and basically were splitting themselves apart. far as I'm concerned, the more you use your RV the better it'll last. At least it BETTER last!

donran
Explorer
Explorer
Today was a facinating day with my 1976 dodge sportman surveyor, about 21 feet.

Went to the local RV place (Sunland California near Tuxford and Lankershim), they wanted $35 for a telescopping brush to clean the RV with, screw that went to Empire Hardware got a much weaker model for $8. I found RV's are actually big and have 4 sides. Then it was time to explore the dump valves for the first time. Naturally since the RV been sitting about a year, I imagin it is mainly empty or at least dried out. Little run off from the grey tank...hossed it out, not much different from the water I washed the RV in...Valves all look good, now the black tank..Maybe some dried something or other in the tank...EEEEKS brown liquid, I'm outa here. I would cost $15 to dump at a place about 10 miles from me...trying to figure some other way to clear this tank without stuff running down the gutter or flying over the freeway. That's what I really want to do is be sitting in the middle of Los Angeles with a tank of sh*t.

mavereik
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, I have a 1976 Dodge Sportsman Built by Jamboree Industries...360 motor
I am having charging system problems at the moment...only had it for 2 weeks though

landrovercampin
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a 1975 Dodge Tioga m.h. 3 years ago.Manufactured 11/74 22'on a sportsman MB300.It has a 360 2 barrel carb and runs very strong.I would like to improve my handling in the wind and wondered if air bags would help.I've done a fair bit of repairing and am leaning towards a newer model but still like the Dodge chassis. If any one can help with better handling in windy conditions please post or contact me.,Thanks

Mr_Mopar_
Explorer
Explorer
klingzi71 wrote:
Saw this post and decided to join. We have a 1978 Dodge Jamboreee with a 360 for a motor, 89k miles. Works great in Colorado. Had it for a year and we love it.

Welcome glad to have you aboard
Rodney
Visit my website
1978 American Clipper 21 ft. 440 Dodge.

klingzi71
Explorer
Explorer
Saw this post and decided to join. We have a 1978 Dodge Jamboreee with a 360 for a motor, 89k miles. Works great in Colorado. Had it for a year and we love it.

gmantwo
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone tell me why there are cracks in the outer skin running up the left and right sides where the cab overhang is? Should I try to secure the overhang to the cab or bumper of the cab? Can I run my generator while driving? Greg