cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How much R-134 ?

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
2001 F-53 V-10. A/C system needs a little gas. How much R-134 might the system require? Or....is there a website that would have a chart?
11 REPLIES 11

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Using a GOOD digital thermometer, have it installed at the pass side dash AC duct. Run the RV at 1200 to 1500 RPM's and on MAX cool(recirc). Have someone WATCH the thermometer. Then slowly add the 134a. The output temp will then slowly drop. Once the temp gets to a low temp and stops going lower and then starts to RISE, stop the fill. You have reached the saturation point. Just blindly adding 134a is not a good idea. Also, do NOT add any oil to the system. NOT NEEDED. Doug

MrWizard
If it's working your just going to add some aka top off

The total system amount doesn't matter, unless you evacuate it and refill using guages
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. 2.7 seems to be the number. We'll see.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
If you add too much, even if it was partly cold before, it will then blow hot. Too much refrigerant in the AC system is as bad as too little. Then you have to take it to a shop that has the AC evacuation system and have the system evacuated and refilled.

Even using a gauge, it is easy to add too much. Don't ask me how I know.

Larry-D
Explorer
Explorer
Autozone or Walmart recharge kit. Attach it to the low pressure side of the system, add freon until the gauge is in the green. I've done this for years of three or four vehicles now. No problem. It doesn't fix leaks but then if the leak is real slow it may save you some $.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would look for a leak first before adding R-134. Leaks will show up as an oily substance. Look especially close at your switch that turns your system on. Auto parts stores sell R-134 with a die and ultraviolet light to help identify small leaks. Does your system blow any cold air?

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Auto-Zone, and some other large auto parts stores will LEND you a set of gauges, along with an instruction manual, if you want to go that way.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The Evans-Tempcon total R-134a refrigerant charge capacities for various vehicle/chassis can be found here:

RV Applications Refrigerant Charge Guide
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
You can also use your hand by feeling the low pressure line (larger of the two) coming off the compressor. That line will be cold to touch. It should also sweat when it's humid out. Do not over fill your system as that will cause it to ice up. As stated above the best way is with a good set of gauges.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you don't have gauges, use a thermometer in the AC outlet duct and stop adding Freon when the temperature has reached it's lowest point.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Proper charging needs a set of gauges. Barring that, add a little at a time until it blows cool, then stop. A 2001 probably needs some re-sealing done.