cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to check dash warning lights

bluebarry1964b
Explorer
Explorer
My understanding is that when you first turn your key into accessory mode, before turning the key further in order to actually start the engine, all of the dash warning lights are supposed to come on for a second or two in order to let you know that they all are in proper working order. Is this true? My ABS, Low Fuel, & Warning lights aren't coming on.
7 REPLIES 7

ecoast
Explorer
Explorer
key position in 'run' prior to starting should be bulb check
07 5.9 CTD & 2000 Northstar Laredo TC towing 87 Samurai ORV on dual axle trailer

bluebarry1964b
Explorer
Explorer
wny_pat wrote:
Think we are talking a Freightliner cluster problem. And being a computerized instrument cluster, it is out of my league.

Sorry, guys--I should have been more specific. It's a 2003 Holiday Rambler Neptune with a Roadmaster chassis.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Think we are talking a Freightliner cluster problem. And being a computerized instrument cluster, it is out of my league.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is not always the test sequence, it can be different for different vehicles, as you go from "lock" to "off" through "accessory" and "on" to "start." Usually the owner's manual will list which lights are to do what at each stage.

The lights that concern you, do they come on as you go through any switch position?
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
You didn't state what chassis you have. This is for the Workhorse Chassis with the Actia dash.

Test at turn on

The test at turn on will have a maximum duration of 3 seconds. During this time the followings actions must take place simultaneously:
· All the tell-tales, except turn signals, must be turned on for 2 seconds then turned off.
· All the gauges must reference themselves and then go to the position corresponding to their current reading.

You can test all gauges by entering Diagnostic Mode.

Diagnostic Mode

The cluster enters diagnostic mode when a start diagnostic request is made.
The start diagnostic request is sent either by a diagnostic tool through the CAN data link or by selecting the diagnostic option by setting the park brake and depressing the mode button for longer than five seconds.

-Tom
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA · W3TLN · FMCA 335149 · Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R · W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed · 2013 Honda Accord EX-L · 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
BroncosFan wrote:
I would try a OBDII Code Reader

X2

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

BroncosFan
Explorer
Explorer
I would try a OBDII Code Reader