cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to remove outer water heater door on 2007 Winnebago?

23hotrodr
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone tell me how to remove the outer compartment door covering the water heater on a 2007 Itasca Suncruiser?

All the outer compartment doors are hinged at the top along a sort of belt line molding. I cannot figure out how to get the water heater compartment door out of the way so I can pull the water heater out a bit to change the heating element. The front slide has to be out to access the rear of the water heater compartment access, and the slide interferes with this outer door so you cannot get it out of the way.

There are a couple short phillips head sheet metal screws up into the body at about the center of each hinge. I have removed these screws and cannot tell what they are supposed to hold. Their removal certainly does not seem to gain me anything regarding door removal. The dooor is riveted to the hinges and I don't want to go yanking around on anything.

Anyone know how to remove these compartment doors?
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35L
2000 Jeep Wrangler
6 REPLIES 6

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

23hotrodr
Explorer
Explorer
cbeierl wrote:
You shouldn't have to remove the hinge. Inspect the lower front and rear corners for a few screws holding the panel shut (instead of the latches all of the regular doors have). Removing those screws should allow the panel to hinge up. You will need to support it with a broomstick or something, however, since it won't have any gas cylinders supporting it.

I know how to open and support this door. I really want to remove it completely so it is not in conflict with the slide while working on the water heater.

I was really hoping someone out there was familiar with how Winne hinged these compartment doors and the trick to removing them at the hinge. There is not so obvious to me a trick for doing this.
2007 Itasca Suncruiser 35L
2000 Jeep Wrangler

BobandShaz
Explorer
Explorer
Mandalay Parr wrote:
If you can't pull the hinge pin maybe drill out the rivets and reinstall.
yes apicture also would be a big help.
Bob and Sharon

2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179

cbeierl
Explorer
Explorer
You shouldn't have to remove the hinge. Inspect the lower front and rear corners for a few screws holding the panel shut (instead of the latches all of the regular doors have). Removing those screws should allow the panel to hinge up. You will need to support it with a broomstick or something, however, since it won't have any gas cylinders supporting it.
Chris Beierl
2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
if you can? a pic would help.

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
If you can't pull the hinge pin maybe drill out the rivets and reinstall.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter