cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need Help!

stppearson26
Explorer
Explorer
So me, my twins (26) and my mother 83 are buying a class C, selling everything and going on the road. We are looking at the Jayco's and I need some advice. The models I am looking at are the ones with the bunk beds because we are buying new and are buying an 8 sleeper because I have grandbabies that occasionally we will pickup and travel with us during there summer breaks. So I have no idea what I am doing, although I am good at taking care of our cars...my dad was a mechanic....so I am not a total idiot when it comes to car maintenance but as far as this...I am sure I have no clue...so I really need some imput. I am looking at around at 26 to 30 ft. which I am not even sure I can handle driving. I have a Ford Expedition I drive now which I love. How hard are these to drive and to handle..Please lay it all out there ...the good bad and the ugly...If you have any suggestions on the best type of C Class out there. I have heard to stay away from the Thors and the lots are flooded with them so that was my first clue on those. So let me have it!!!!
27 REPLIES 27

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Dynamax diesel is the only way to go. If your in this long term..

Its 4x4, like driving a dodge, has bunks, and overhead cab bed.

Can be had for a bit of 100K..

Best out there IMO.

If you go gasser and plan on driving alot you will not be happy. Go diesel, buy once...

http://dynamaxcorp.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=329&Image=12937&ModelID=2280#Main

If you can drive bigger and have about 180K then go with the force.. But those are big..
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

dicknellen
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Why you doin' this?

I also wonder why you are making this scary plan?

Do you or your twin 26 year olds plan to work while on the road?

I think it is a bad idea.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
WNYBob wrote:
Then sit back and watch Lucille Ball in The Long Long Trailer.

It's lots of fun, and it shows lots of things you can't do.

Enjoy.

You saying not to start a rock collection......:B
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
thats a lot of people full timing in a rv.rent a rv and try this first.

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Then sit back and watch Lucille Ball in The Long Long Trailer.

It's lots of fun, and it shows lots of things you can't do.

Enjoy.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 24 foot C, if you believe the brochure you would try to cram 6 adults and 2 would kill you out right in the morning with the fourth and fith very close.

In reality 3 adults can travel comfortable in ower truck, the overhead cab bed is a queen zised bed and the couch folds out to a single, it is imposible to sleep two adults on that sofa bed at all, not even two skiny persons, forget the dinnete an average person would have to sleep corner to corner to fit uncomfortable, sales brouchures are miss leading.

Do go with all the persons that are going to be travelling to check out the units that you are contemplating, make sure that the shower is comfortable for the elder woman and that she can get in and out of it, some are so tight that you smack elbows washing your hear and some shower stalls have a bigh basin wall, have the sales person configure the units to acomodate all the sleepers and then have all your party actually lie down fo fit test.

Remember that sales persons are very close to being hungry sharks, they will tell you anything to close the deal!

navegator

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have a big job ahead of you. Take the whole gang and start sitting in them, standing in the shower, sitting at the table and laying in the beds. Sit around and watch some TV get a feel for all you will be doing inside look at as many floorplans as you can. Don't feel hurried and ask as many questions you need answers to.
Renting might be a good idea as someone else suggested also.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will have a hard time fitting that many people and beds (particularly bunk beds) into a relatively short class C.

Frankly, the length probably makes the least difference in actual driving when compared with the height and width. On the road, the length matters mostly when merging or passing, and one usually doesn't pass too many vehicles when traveling in a motorhome. A longer unit does require more care when maneuvering around gas stations, parking lots, or campsites, but it's easy enough to compensate by going slowly and carefully and getting out and looking (and/or using spotters). Driving any of them is somewhat like driving a U-Haul, except the seats are usually more comfortable and the visibility out of the motorhome usually a little bit better.

IMHO bunk beds as commonly implemented in motorhomes are not as nice as they would at first seem to be. Many are pretty short and scant on space, while cutting rather significantly into the room available for other parts of the RV--those parts that you use when you're awake, like the kitchen or bath or living area. That said, I have seen one or two nice bunk layouts, including a really neat old Gulfstream layout (unfortunately in an RV that had been severely neglected) where the rear bedroom area had bunk beds on one side and a little second dinette on the other side, which would have worked out pretty nicely with a crowd.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why you doin' this?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
To much for me to write so call me.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
klutchdust wrote:
Before you dive into this I would recommend you rent a few different models and lengths. Take all those you plan on living with on a weekend trip and see how it goes. Invite friends and fill every bed up and report back after 1 weekend. Sleeps 8?

X10

Very good advice above. Something else to consider... just because a C has beds for 8 does not mean it has the storage capacity for all of your stuff {X 8} because it won't! :S

I would scale back your expectations as to how well you will be able to accommodate a large crowd. Consider camping gear {tents, sleeping bags, ice chests etc for those trips where the population is going to swell. Many campgrounds restrict how many bodies you can have and RV Parks often charge extra per body above a particular number.

There is an old saying that applies to boats and RV's... the perfect one does cocktails for 6, dinner for 4 and sleeps two. There is a lot of wisdom in those words. :B

mikebreeze
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to rv.net. Being a class C owner myself I think that you made a wise choice. As far as driving a class C it does take some getting used to. Just remember that you have 26-30 feet of vehicle behind you versus 15 to 20 feet of your current vehicle. Just take the turns wide and have a spotter when you back up. As for maintenance of your class C it is not much different than a truck. Obtain a good pre-trip check list online or compile your own. The 2 things that are most important to me are checking the air pressure in your tires and your fluid levels. Do that often, change your oil at least once a year or more and you should be good. Have fun on your upcoming adventures.
2006 Four Winds Majestic 23A

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before you dive into this I would recommend you rent a few different models and lengths. Take all those you plan on living with on a weekend trip and see how it goes. Invite friends and fill every bed up and report back after 1 weekend. Sleeps 8?