cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Installed new charger, batteries not charging

SenroninTonomas
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, I am new to the forum, I have a 1998 Winnebago and recently the battery charger stopped working, I figured Iโ€™ll just replace the converter/charger. So I did. Batteries still arenโ€™t charging and also with the battery switch turned to off, shore power is not running the 12 volt system which was also occurring before I installed the new charger. Although the issue with shore power not being converted to 12volt with the battery switch off started happening more and more frequently this year. NOW the extremely weird part happening here is that before I installed the new converter and after...my Onboard generator (which I just plug my main 30amp power cable into) powers the 12 volt system with the battery switch off and with the battery switch on seems to charge the batteries(slowly).

So far I have
-checked my battery connections.
-checked all my power cables
-installed new power dynamics converter/charger
-installed new fuse panel
-Installed new male plug end on shore power cable
-Change the fuses in the little momentary battery switch in the battery bay
- check fuses and breakers

Summary โ€”-
When plugged into shore power(30amp) my batteries are not charging and my converter is not running the 12 volt system with the battery switch off ...but the generator does both of these before and after installing new PD charger/converter

My thoughts
Idk...please help
I thought about replacing the 120 breaker but why would it work with the generator on and not shore power ?
PS I donโ€™t have a generator shore power switch box, my shore power cable just plugs into the 30 amp outlet on the genset
4 REPLIES 4

SenroninTonomas
Explorer
Explorer
Good news, I finally got off my lazy but and checked everything with a multimeter and all the numbers checkout out and the batteries did charge over night and the converter is now working.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Get out your multimeter and measure the voltage of the converter output. Post the results.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree check breaker with meter. Here is a link with related info .

converter not charging battery

https://www.rvingknowhow.com/how-to-tell-if-rv-converter-is-bad/

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
There are 2 reverse polarity fuses in the converter for the battery. There is an inline resettable fuse within 6' of the battery. The battery disconnect switch must be "IN-use".

Stop replacing parts. Buy a multimeter and learn how to use it. YouTube is your friend.

You can not fix electricity without a multimeter.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.