cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insurance wtf???

ACDNate
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to close a deal on a 2008 Winnebago Journey 39z. Calling around getting quotes for insurance. Comprehensive and liability of course.

I'm getting quotes between $2000 and $2500 a year. That's what i pay for homeowners insurance on $200k of home, $150k in out buildings plus contents.

What are yall paying?
40 REPLIES 40

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
NCC-1701 wrote:
KPetrick wrote:
If you are on the coast you may be paying more because of the territory that your RV is garaged in. Have you called us? We can shop Foremost, National General, Safeco and Progressive for you.

Keith
Director of Good Sam Insurance Agency

That's interesting because when I quoted Good Sam Insurance it was 35% higher for the same coverage than what I had, which was Progressive, and then I moved to Farmers, which is done through Foremost, and cut 40% off my Progressive rates. Since you have access to both of those, I wonder what went wrong with the GS quote I got?

To the OP...Foremost/Farmers was the best quote I had on RV insurance in many years. Glad I'm not paying the kind of rates you guys have down there.

Nothing went wrong, they added in their cut which apparently is 35%.

We just dropped Progressive after close to 10 years. Despite "accident forgiveness" an at fault single vehicle accident in 2016 caused a rate increase of 35 to 40% under the guise of "you didn't receive a rate increase, you lost safe driver and accident free discounts".

Liberty mutual came through this time. 2015 GMC 2500, 2011 Honda CRV, 2018 Kia Soul, 2017 Rockwood TT, $1.5K per year. 300/100/300, full coverage on all,$1K deductible. Thats with the knowing what a lug wrench is discount, and proving that you have enough common sense to not let your 5 yr old nosepicker run loose and get lost in the workings area of service area.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
stugotz61 wrote:
You are paying too much for for your Home at $2500 a year for a 200k House - You need to seriously shop around for both. I have a 2008 Gulf Stream 40Ft on Freightliner Chassis runs about $1200 Per year - which is about $400 per year higher than my homeowners policy on my $350K house - Through Allstate - Good Luck Shopping

He lives in Biloxi you live in Sacramento. When was the last time a Hurricane hit Sacramento?

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
ACDNate wrote:
Getting ready to close a deal on a 2008 Winnebago Journey 39z. Calling around getting quotes for insurance. Comprehensive and liability of course.

I'm getting quotes between $2000 and $2500 a year. That's what i pay for homeowners insurance on $200k of home, $150k in out buildings plus contents.

What are yall paying?

Yeah, that's expensive but the reason it's more than your house is because you aren't driving your house down the freeway. Your motorhome is probably at 50 times greater risk than your house.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
You really can't compare your quotes to those of others. Insurance is very personable and depends on your age, what state or city, sometimes what county you live in, driving history, credit score, etc. No two people are the same. Good luck getting a lower price!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

NCC-1701
Explorer
Explorer
KPetrick wrote:
If you are on the coast you may be paying more because of the territory that your RV is garaged in. Have you called us? We can shop Foremost, National General, Safeco and Progressive for you.

Keith

That's interesting because when I quoted Good Sam Insurance it was 35% higher for the same coverage than what I had, which was Progressive, and then I moved to Farmers, which is done through Foremost, and cut 40% off my Progressive rates. Since you have access to both of those, I wonder what went wrong with the GS quote I got?

To the OP...Foremost/Farmers was the best quote I had on RV insurance in many years. Glad I'm not paying the kind of rates you guys have down there.
"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

soren
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, that's rough. I cover a $250K house, a Winny Gasser, a Chevy pickup and a CRV, all full coverage, and high limits on total liability, for a bit over $1500/yr.

ACDNate
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a few years left before I qualify for AARP, only 40yrs old.

Foremost and Safeco so far are the most competitive rates right around $1500 year. Still waiting on a few more to come in.

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
$2500 is probably right in hurricane country, I paid more than that in FL for similar coverage. Here in Reno NV area, it's only $700 for a higher value house. About the only natural disaster here is an earthquake and the policy does not cover that!
If you are old enough, check AARP (Hartford). My 2015 Winnebago Vista costs me $700 for full coverage (although an umbrella policy I have lowers all my vehicle insurance).

Dance_Chick
Explorer
Explorer
Also try The Hartford thru AARP. While there are many variables that will affect your rate vs. mine or anyone else's (credit, insurance limits, history, location, cost of RV), we pay $826.00 yr. Off the top of my head, I can't tell you our limits. I did an insurance check up last fall as it had been about 3 or 4 years, and we stayed with Hartford. We've had a claim with them, and they were great to work with.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
State Farm is $837 for the year for my Monaco Windsor. Of course, I have about 5 policies with them so there's a discount.
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

KPetrick
Explorer
Explorer

Keith

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
last premium from State Farm on our '16 38Q gasser was ~$1100. but we have all our vehicles (4), our home and an liability umbrella policy with SF so a multi-policy discount is in play. our S&B home is valued at north of $275K and our premium is ~$1450.

have you shopped around?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

ACDNate
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Personally I think your bodily injury and damage liability limits are way too low. In fact I think they are the MINIMUMS.
The company that I used, Auto-Owners unfortunately does not write policies in your State, but I had $100,000, $300,000 limits along with agreed upon value coverage and it cost me only $400/YEAR. I do have an excellent driving record.
Check with your bank and see if they provide insurance services. Mine did and they search out the best rates for me on my RV, auto, and homeowner's insurance.

Agreed. Those are getting changed for the actual policy.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Personally I think your bodily injury and damage liability limits are way too low. In fact I think they are the MINIMUMS.
The company that I used, Auto-Owners unfortunately does not write policies in your State, but I had $100,000, $300,000 limits along with agreed upon value coverage and it cost me only $400/YEAR. I do have an excellent driving record.
Check with your bank and see if they provide insurance services. Mine did and they search out the best rates for me on my RV, auto, and homeowner's insurance.

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
ACDNate wrote:
jorbill2or wrote:
Are you quoting full timers insurance,

Nope, just for "pleasure" as they call it.

One quote for $987 every 6 months

Coverage Limits Cost
Comprehensive(COMP)
2008 WINNEBAGO m39z $500 deductible $727.40
Collision(COLL)
2008 WINNEBAGO m39z $500 deductible $176.50
Emergency Road Service(ERS)

Have you asked about changing the deductable on coll and comp? Almost all your cost is there and $500 is somewhat low on the coverage. Increasing to $1000 or more should get a good chunk knocked off the total, unless that is the coverage you wanted.

If, in most storms you are taking the family out of the area in the Motorhome you are reducing the risk that there is a major Comp claim.