cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Intermittent Turbo

kenbert
Explorer
Explorer
Took a trip to PA this weekend, 4 hour drive. After 2.5 hrs when climbing , the turbo boost started to kick out. With the pedal to the floor the boost would go to 12, down to 5 then up to 12 then down to 5. Kept doing this through entire climb, was normal on level grade.

Pulled into rest area for a while and finished trip with no problems.
Coming home after 4 hrs driving, started the same problem. This time even did it on level grade. Boost would not come on till shifted into 3rd gear, and did the same thing. Boost would not hold, kept falling off.

I am hoping someone here has had a similar problem and give some tips on what to look for. Thanks in advance.
95 Georgie Boy Encounter 37ft 5.9 cummins DP
01 Saturn SW
16 REPLIES 16

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
BTW Wire the exhaust brake open for a test.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like a turbo issue. Recently had a partially blown gasket between the manifold and turbo, boost was lower and varied on grade, fine when level. Exhaust brake was also reduced. Check for exhaust soot especially where you can't easily see.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Then its not turbo issue. If it ws it would be smoking becuse of overfueling.

kenbert
Explorer
Explorer
nevadanick wrote:
Does it blow black smoke when the boost shows low ?

No Black Smoke.
01 Saturn SW

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Does it blow black smoke when the boost shows low ?

kenbert
Explorer
Explorer
Bucky1320 wrote:
So how has this turned out?

Haven't had time to check, but will change fuel filters, re lube Pac Brake and see what happens.
01 Saturn SW

Bucky1320
Explorer
Explorer
So how has this turned out?
1999 Harney Renegade
Mostly used for overnights at the drag strip.

mnm_2
Explorer
Explorer
We had the same problem on 8.3 Cummins turned out to be turbo shaft bearings going bad it would allow shaft to bind intermittently and loose boost at upper rpm

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
An indication of not getting enough fuel, change your fuel filters.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

kenbert
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
A 1995 B will be mechanical, not electronic, not variable vane turbo.

If turbo was loose on exhaust manifold, it could be rocking between tight and loose enough to let exhaust escape without turning the turbo. Unlikely, but worth a quick look for black soot. If a boot loose on intake side of intake side, no symptom until you get a "dusted" engine. No restriction on air (or on dirt!). If boot loose on CAC side of turbo on the intake side, you would loose boost.

All hose connections look tight,I am going to look at the Pac Brake again. Thanks for your help.
01 Saturn SW

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
A 1995 B will be mechanical, not electronic, not variable vane turbo.

If turbo was loose on exhaust manifold, it could be rocking between tight and loose enough to let exhaust escape without turning the turbo. Unlikely, but worth a quick look for black soot. If a boot loose on intake side of intake side, no symptom until you get a "dusted" engine. No restriction on air (or on dirt!). If boot loose on CAC side of turbo on the intake side, you would loose boost.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Does it have variable vanes. If so they are probably stuck. You can go to Cummins or Dodge forums and search ways to free them up.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Brett, if the turbo was loose and sucking air wouldn't the check engine light come on..:h. Or, because it's intermittent there's not enough "issue" for it to be triggered..?:h/ thanks... Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

kenbert
Explorer
Explorer
You can see the engine in my signature, 5.9 Cummins. Checked all connections and hoses, all looks good. Why would it clear up after a rest. Did have some issues with Pac Brake sticking, relubed and good. when i did have the problem with Pac Brake it did not affect the turbo.
Also not a gauge problem.
01 Saturn SW