cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inverter

Ed_Manifold
Explorer
Explorer
A few days ago (11-7-21) I posted problems with my 7500 generator which I am still researching but I am also having problems with my Freedom 458 inverter/charger my interior control board is not re-acting to my commands, for instance it will not show the condition of my batteries, the invert button will not turn on the invert phase or turn off the invert phase as the invert button stays lit. By pressing the set-up,charge and invert buttons I can get the inverter off even though the invert light button is still on. I know this by plugging an appliance into an inverter outlet. I looked at my manuals in the trouble- shooting sections and they don't seem to address the problems I am having. I hoped that maybe the control panel inside the motorhome could be the problem. I have talked to my mechanic who has done work on the motorhome previously and he will check the system out but he has generally found is that the inverter is bad. He thought that maybe the cost could be 3000 dollars but that was not a quote. Looking at the internet I see these inverters from 1000 to 1500 dollars so his guess is probably way off. One question I have if the repair is too expense why do I need an inverter with a good working generator? Any thoughts or suggestions I would greatly appreciate.
My mechanic also thought that maybe I had a fitting gone bad after I changed the fuel filter, he said that sometimes if the filter was leaking after the change that that could cause the problem. As I mentioned in my previous post that my largest fitting on the filter was leaking and I tightened it to stop the leak. thanks for letting me post this, I think this must be my longest post.
Ed & Sharon
2002 Phaeton
2001 Jeep Wrangler Toad
12 REPLIES 12

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Xantrex is a brand name like Maytag.

If you get the same model, all should be easy swap. Polarity is critical for both the 120v and 12v connections or the magic smoke is released. Actual terminals could be slightly different. If access is easy give it a go. Do read the full installation instructions before you start.

Ed_Manifold
Explorer
Explorer
Thank-you all for your input and suggestions. I have looked on line and new Freedom458 Inverter/Chargers seem to run from 1000 to 1500 dollars with a new remote control board approx. 150 dollars but my question is what does the word Xantrex mean, this word is now part of the name of the inverter, for example Xantrex Freedom 458 Inverter/Charger? I take the motorhome to my mechanic on Monday. The prices I see for the new inverters even with labor should keep the cost well under the 3000 dollar cost he thought it could cost. My last question is how hard would it be for me to change out the inverter, and I am no means a electrician even though I changed the battery in my jeep.
Ed & Sharon
2002 Phaeton
2001 Jeep Wrangler Toad

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Question on that Freedom
Are you using the on-inverter controls/display or the remote?

If the latter, both ends of the data cable. Unplug and re-plug a few times

NO guarantee other than the ultimate "Money back" If it does not work your "Free" is hereby refunded.. And if it does work.. it's still free.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

grldst
Explorer
Explorer
You are correct Doug. I should have suggested the test first instead of replace.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
grldst wrote:
First thing Iโ€™d do is replace the communication cable from control board to inverter.

Good catch. Probably NOT the problem. After reading his complaints, what he needs to do is Disconnect 120 power to the RV and Disconnect the Positive battery cable at the Inverter for at least 15 minutes. Then reconnect and see what his display does. This reboots the Inverter. If same problem all he has to do is disconnect the remote harness AT the Inverter and he can turn the Inverter on and off at the button on the inverter. IF that does NOT turn the Inverter On and Off, then his inverter needs replaced as it is not a Comm cable problem. BTW you do NOT just replace the COMM cable. You remove the inside Inverter Remote panel(4 screws) and then go to the Inverter with a new COM cable and plug direct into the Inverter from the remote in your hand. IF it then works, replace the cable. If it still malfunctions you have not wasted the time running a new cable. Doug

grldst
Explorer
Explorer
First thing Iโ€™d do is replace the communication cable from control board to inverter.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
theoldwizard1 wrote:
First, your Freedom 458 is pretty old technology. It is likely no worth the cost of repair.

I disagree with dougrainer. I would always replace an old inverter or converter with a modern inverter-charger-automatic transfer switch. Simpler/less wiring and much simpler to use.

I would install a good battery monitor.

What are you stating that I was wrong?????? I TOLD him to replace the Inverter/Charger. The OLD Freedom had a transfer relay. They BOTH(old and new) operate the same way and there is no extra feature the current replacement will have. Maybe a Battery temp monitor, but that comes with the new Freedom. Doug

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
First, your Freedom 458 is pretty old technology. It is likely no worth the cost of repair.

I disagree with dougrainer. I would always replace an old inverter or converter with a modern inverter-charger-automatic transfer switch. Simpler/less wiring and much simpler to use.

I would install a good battery monitor.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
twenty years ago, the general rule for cost on an Inverter/Charger was $1 per watt. So, if you needed a 3000 watt inverter/charger it was about $3000. But starting about 15 years ago, with do many Motorhomes using Inverter/Chargers, the cost has come way down. The current replacement is the Xantrex freedom 458 2500 watt which is about $1300. You NEED an Inverter/CHARGER! Your system is set up for the Inverter/Charger. The bad news is, you will probably have to also pay for a new Remote panel. Your older remote panel is probably not compatible for the newer Freedom Inverters. You could just work around the Inverter/Charger and put in a standard RV POWER CONVERTER, at least a 70 amp or higher. You will have to remove the 120 input and output romex wires and just connect them together to power the circuits that run thru the Inverter. A good RV POWER CONVERTER 70 amp runs about $300. But, it is best to fix it correctly. Doug

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
If you have never used the inverter then you don't need it. You will need something to charge the battery.

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
To answer your inverter question Ed, when mine took a dump (same Freedom as yours) I oped to just install a new 60 amp charger (converter). We do not boondock without the generator running, so for us the inverter is not needed. At some point I probably will put a new one in, but for now, 9 months in, we have not missed it.

Al

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi Ed,

Inverter chargers are more expensive than simple inverters.

I would go for the Victron or Outback hybrid units.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.