cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Itasca, Winnebago and Forest River Diesel Options

Alto_Flyfisher
Explorer
Explorer
We are considering a major downsizing to our RV travels from a 36 foot Cameo fifth wheel to either a Itasca Navion / Winnebago View or a Forest Rivera Solera. We would appreciate any comments from members with experience with any of the recent models of those brands. We are advised that the Winnebago products are high qualtiy but are not informed about Forest River. We would also expect to use a toad in most of our travels and are considering a Jeep Wrangler or smaller vehicle and would like to know how these affect performance particularly in mountainous areas.
Alto Flyfisher
2008 Carriage Cameo + 2007 F-250 FX4 PSD
9 REPLIES 9

jdog
Explorer
Explorer
What questions did you have about diesel options. Very few class C with diesel options.

Dakzuki
Explorer
Explorer
I would go look at Forest River in Person vs Winnebago/Itasca. Lift up access panels and look around at build quality where it's harder to see. Look at the quality of appliances and fittings. Then weigh in the price difference if any.

You can get 25% off MSRP on WGO products. You may have to go on a trip to pick it up but it can be done (Lichtsinn in Iowa, Lewis RV in Ohio). I got 26% off list on a factory order from a dealer here in Wa when I bought mine.

Regarding towing a Wrangler, that will put the RV right at the max combined weight rating. (11,000 lb RV plus 4000 lb Jeep). I would suggest something lighter. We tow a Chev Tracker ragtop which weighs under 3000 lbs. We pulled our toad over the hog's back on Utah 12 last spring. Not sure I'd want to do the same in summer heat (I'd disconnect the toad and drive it up).

We spent a a bit over two months total (including a month long trip) in our Navion last year. We still like it a lot and have no regrets whatsoever.

Here is a group that is very knowledgeable about the View/Navion. I used it as a resource when I was RV shopping. You will hear about WGO Sprinter based Cs warts and all. It is a very good resource for questions about your RV while on the road. I had a minor issue with mine (stuck roller blind) during our month long trip and got a full tutorial on what to do to fix it after posting the question. Some folks have had major problems and the brain trust of the group has been of immense help.
2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

Nats
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely check out the Solera section of the Forest River forums, very active forum and good information.

I have a 2012 Solera 24S and would be glad to answer any questions that I can.

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I realize the units discussed have cab-over beds. If the original poster would rather sleep on the main floor and get a more sound constructed Sprinter-based rig with the B+ cap, he might want to put a Phoenix Cruiser 2350 with the Sprinter option on his list of considerations.

We own the same rig Seen Here, but built on the Ford E350 chassis and ours does not have the slide-out option. Seven years so far and we still love it a whole lot.

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
+1 on Leisure Travel Vans Unity or Serenity.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
take a look at leisure travel vans before you buy the others there finished MH are in top shape, fit and quality are there strong points .also known as LTV. ours runs great .

RckyMtnVia
Explorer
Explorer
Solera has a fiberglass roof and costs less than the Winnebago, but the fit and finish are not as good. We looked at both and ended up with a Winnebago Via. Love it. If you decide on the Solera, you can get a 30 to 40% discount from RV Direct. Solera is still a very good coach, and very responsive on the Forest River forum. One of the Forest River engineers monitors the forum and is very good at answering any questions. View/Navion forum on Yahoo is mainly owners, but is also a good source of information.
2022 Forester MBS 2401B

tmmar
Explorer
Explorer
Yes- the Solera has a fiberglass roof.
2014 40' Forest River Berkshire DP Bunkhouse

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
assuming you are talking about a winnebago motorhome, it will have a fiberglass roof. does the forest river?
bumpy