cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jayco quesions

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess I can't make up my mind what I want. We have had in this order from 1982?: Cabover, Class C, big gap & then retired, 5th wheel, 5th wheel, cabover. The wife is having issues with the stairs in the 5th and refuses to travel with "my" cabover because of the steps. At first I thought about a TT, but she reminded me that another issue is she needs to walk around because her feet swell so bad while riding. So now maybe a motorhome?
I've looked at diesel pushers and just don't think we want to put that much money in a toy. Even have looked at lightly used. So it's either a new or very lightly used gas A or a new C.
Currentky looking at Jayco C Greyhawks, mostly the 29MV. Likes: the bed slide allows a decent wardrobe, the refrig is not in a slide (better convection), both slides are relatively lightweight. The RV is small enough to get in smaller sites in state & nat parks.
Questions...the 12 cu ft refrig is optional but you lose the pantry, any thoughts on this trade-out? I'm leaning to the 8cu ft w/pantry. The roof is advertised as fiberglass, is this chopper gun (marine) fiberglass or thin glass bonded to luan plywood. Is it walkable?
Any comments on Jayco are welcome. My perception it is mid-pack on quality.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive
15 REPLIES 15

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
I wish more than anything that my greyhawk had a fiberglass roof! The TPO that came on mine is just too flimsy in MY OPINION. ( didn't want to start a debate. Lol)
Proud father of a US Marine

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
suprz wrote:
TxGearhead wrote:
Yeah I'm just trying to crack the nut if the fiberglass roof is laminated like the exterior walls, or if it's real fiberglass.

Im guessing they are using a molded one piece roof and its being blown into the mold with chop strand like a boat hull. Probably cause its cheaper. But i'll bet you can call Jayco customer support and get an answer. 1-800-517-9137

It's real fiberglass. It is a large one piece sheet placed on the roof then bonded with some type adhesive. They apply it like a big blanket, then cut the opening for the roof accessories. It is not the same as the exterior walls. It's thick enough to do the job, but thin enough to follow the contour of the roof. It is walkable, but not the 3 inches from the side edges. This is where it rounds over the corner, but that's not really a problem. One important thing is make sure when you get up on it, you don't have any stones stuck in your shoes so you don't scratch it. I definately like it better than the rubber roofs.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
T18skyguy wrote:
TxGearhead wrote:
Yes, in Texas 2 A/C' are about mandatory.
Can you explain a previous statement about running 2 A/C units on a 30 amp service?
We have a 15k BTU and a 13.5k BTU on our 5th wheel and they can barely keep up. If the 2 units on the Greyhawk are both 11k BTU I would be concerned. What BTU are yours?

Each AC unit is 1100 watts not 1500 like in the older rigs. So you have 2200 watts total 18 amps. The rig is ducted all over the ceiling and keeps the coach very evenly cooled throughout. With both AC's on you can also run the microwave.

Hmmm..that sounds cool. Thanks.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
Yeah I'm just trying to crack the nut if the fiberglass roof is laminated like the exterior walls, or if it's real fiberglass.

Im guessing they are using a molded one piece roof and its being blown into the mold with chop strand like a boat hull. Probably cause its cheaper. But i'll bet you can call Jayco customer support and get an answer. 1-800-517-9137

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
Can you explain a previous statement about running 2 A/C units on a 30 amp service?
We have a 15k BTU and a 13.5k BTU on our 5th wheel and they can barely keep up. If the 2 units on the Greyhawk are both 11k BTU I would be concerned. What BTU are yours?

Each AC unit is 1100 watts not 1500 like in the older rigs. So you have 2200 watts total 18 amps. The rig is ducted all over the ceiling and keeps the coach very evenly cooled throughout. With both AC's on you can also run the microwave.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
She is own her own getting back there.
No, just kidding. I don't mind stopping for a few minutes to let her stretch out on the couch. She just needs to elevate her feet for a while everyday to keep the swelling to a minimum.
So for you folks that have the Greyhawk....what is your opinion of the roof? I hate rubber roofs, and love my Bigfoot roof. It's chopper gun fiberglass not a laminated filon. What is the Greyhawk? i know I could call a dealer, but not sure i would believe anything they said.
We need to go looking when I get over my back surgery.

My 2006 has a TPO roof, i wish it had a fiberglass roof! According to what I just read, the 2017 greyhawk 29 comes with a one piece fiberglass roof

fred42
Explorer
Explorer
I was considering the 29MV/MVP and it had a lot of things I liked. I have decided to go with a shorter unit and not looking at it any more. I had several email exchanges with the sales rep for my region this summer.

I too had questions about the two 11k units. I did not get the impression that the power management system it comes with would be intelligent enough to synchronize the AC compressors, I think it is more of a crude limiter. I am in Florida mostly and knew 2 11ks would not be enough. My plan was to order the single 15k, then I would convert the unit to 50amp and add a 13k in the bedroom. The sales rep assured me that the bedroom wiring would be there with just the single 15k AC order. You would want to verify this if that was your plan.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I really wanted a fiver, and had already bought the new truck for it. My wife has a back that acts up. It started to get so bad that she must get up and walk around in route. That pushed us into a class C. Your wife won't get any better, we're all getting older. I would have loved to have an A, but it won't fit through my gate, but I'm very happy with the new Greyhawk. For the money, it's hard to do better. As said above, two AC's are a must. The auto leveling is very nice, and the J ride fabulous. Skip the fancy paint job and save 8 thousand bucks. The roof is fiberglass and works well, but be careful around tree limbs especially at the side edges. The round-over at the edges can be vulnerable, but that's true with a lot of them. Don't buy a single AC unit thinking you will add one later. It's not wired for that.

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
She is own her own getting back there.
No, just kidding. I don't mind stopping for a few minutes to let her stretch out on the couch. She just needs to elevate her feet for a while everyday to keep the swelling to a minimum.
So for you folks that have the Greyhawk....what is your opinion of the roof? I hate rubber roofs, and love my Bigfoot roof. It's chopper gun fiberglass not a laminated filon. What is the Greyhawk? i know I could call a dealer, but not sure i would believe anything they said.
We need to go looking when I get over my back surgery.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
If your wife has problems with her feet etc.. Will she be able to safely walk around inside of any class motorhome while it is moving? Not being sarcastic, i have a Jayco greyhawk that I love, but it's like a carnival fun house tying to walk in it while it's moving

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good info.. We will have to have more discussion about the 8 vs. 12 refrigerator. I know my wife has a serious hang up over cabinets. She can never have enough, and fills them up...with something. We usually pack a lot of food, a lot of frozen, and bring half of it back home.
If she can get on the couch and put her feet up she will be good.
Our old 1986 Class C was on a E350 chassis. No problems especially after I replaced the 35 gallon gas tank with a 55. Had the 460 with the last year of C6 transmission. Only thing I didn't like was the heat off the doghouse on my right leg. I assume the newer models have more hood and less doghouse. We need to go look at Jayco some time.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
A Class A gasser will allow the co-pilot to elevate her feet in transit, a Class C, in all likelihood, will not have that option.