cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jeep tow vehicle

RZRguy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1999 32' Fleetwood Southwind and would like to tow a 4x4 jeep.
My questions are: equipment needed, hitch and brake controls?
Are there jeeps that are better than others for towing? thx
10 REPLIES 10

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
wcjeep wrote:
I would avoid the older 87 - 95 Jeep Wrangler YJ. The transfer case does not have a true neutral. The 97 - 06 Wrangler TJ has a decent Jeep ride and prices are OK. Also avoid the 2014+ Jeep Cherokee. I'm not talking about the Grand.

Nope, they do have a TRUE neutral,I have been towing a 1987 Jeep YJ for years. All original.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
RZRguy wrote:

Our setup for our JK Wrangler and without a steering lock to be concerned with, consists of the READYBRUTE/ELITE, optional READYSTOP breakaway, Demco base plate and a COOLTECH plug in type wiring harness. For an older than 07 Wrangler, I would make up a light bar for the hitch receiver and plug into that for my rear lighting. This is easily done by running a wire cable through the frame to the front and wiring it into your umbilical connector.
The above package contains the READYBRAKE surge brake system as well and I for one, would have no other for simplicity and the best bang for the buck.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
RZRguy wrote:

in terms of current models...a 4WD jeep that has a manually selectable neutral position in the transfer case can usually be flat towed. all-wheel drive models generally need a trailer (all 4-wheels off the ground). check the owner's manual (available free on line from jeep.com) in the recreational towing section or ask here if a specific model/yr can be towed or check here. input the vehicle information to determine if it can be flat towed as is or if mods are needed.

beyond that you'll need a hitch, baseplate (attaches to the jeep) and an aux brake control. lots of options in hitches and you'll get lots of opinions. we use a Blue Ox hitch and baseplate and can recommend them. our aux brake is the Unified Tow Brake from US Gear.

but it's just important to know how much weight you can safely tow. in general, the maximum amount of weight you can safely tow will be the lesser of the following:

โ€ข the GCWR (gross combination weight rating) of the MH minus the actual weight of the MH as it is loaded for travel (includes fuel, fresh water, food, clothing, people, pets, supplies, etc.)

โ€ข the weight rating of your tow bar

โ€ข the weight rating of your hitch

this is why it's vital to know what your MH weighs as it is loaded and configure for travel before choosing a toad. Your MH will not collapse if it is overloaded but you will experience handling issues as well as longer braking distances and accelerated wear on suspension, brakes, steering, etc.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can't speak for the newer Jeep but I've had two older ones ('97 and '03) GC's. Both were super easy to install the base plate...simple DIY and tow very easy. I have been using a Ready Brake but now switching to an M&G air brake setup.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
I have been towing an 06' Wrangler for years. For me its way easy to tow 4 down.
Connect it, turn the key to unlock the steering, transmission in 1st, transfer case in neutral. Never have pull or replace a fuse or start the engine. Takes about 3 minutes to hook or unhook with no help.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
I would avoid the older 87 - 95 Jeep Wrangler YJ. The transfer case does not have a true neutral. The 97 - 06 Wrangler TJ has a decent Jeep ride and prices are OK. Also avoid the 2014+ Jeep Cherokee. I'm not talking about the Grand.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gotta be a little more specific about which Jeep you want to tow. Lots of variations there. Jeeps are probably the most popular towed vehicles you see behind motor homes

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
To tow a JEEP

4WD with MANUAL transfer case can (usually) be towed 4 down but read the fine manual..There is one Manual Transfer case they used to make which is not towable, and the AWD (full time 4WD) with electronic clutches are not towable. RWD units are also not towable if automatic tranny.

Tow bar..Blue Ox,,Roadmaster,,Ready Brute, Other makes

These come in 3 flavors

A Frame (like a trailer tong) just like a trailer you need to be PRECISE to gt the hitch over the ball.. Major advantage CHEEP.. Disadvantage hook up and storage.

Telescopign arm types.. More expensive, way easier to hook up... I like the ones that "Stow" on the motor home

READY BRUTE..Optional add on READY BRAKE.. See braking systms

Blue ox..Some models come (optionally) With Auto Stop (See Ready Brake)

Tow lights: 3.2 types

1.1 Universal diode kits... These cut into the brake/tail/turn light leads in the back of the JEEP.. one diode feeds the light from the JEEP. the other from the motor home.. Advantage,, Fairly chap, easy requir no VISIBLE mod to the jeep,, Disadvantag,, Brake will override turn signal on jeep when towing

1.2 Dedicatd tail light diode kit matched to your JEEP.. Thre is a plug likely under the dash,, Unplug, plug in kit, plug into kit (Route wire) job done. Advantages easier install than 1.1, Disadvantag more expensive plus same brake issue.

2: Add-a-lamp Drill a hole in the tail light housing and snap in a new socket and lamp, Tail light wiring for Jeep and Motor home are 100% independent This is what I currently have on my towed.. NOTE: you may need to improve the ground at the MOTOR HOME end of the connecting cable.. I did.

3.1: Add a fixture.. You see JEEPS with Mickey Mouse Ear like stop/turn/tail lights bolted on top... Major disadvantage.. HOLES. 3.2 Magnetic Tow Lights.. I do not like the idea of snaking the cable down the side of the Jeep.. and Wireless ones ... Well they sometimes fail.

Brakes:
Surge brakes (Ready Brake and Auto-Stop) IF you do not live in the great salted north these look very interesting.. This is what I intend to buy next.

Advantages.. onc initial set up is done these need no adjustment, FULLY automatic, takes like seconds to connect the control cable.

Disadvantage: IF you live in the land of salted roads.. And your praking brake cable has sized up.. Same kind of cable is used here.

Brake in a box (Brake Buddy, Even brake and more) Box needs to be installed EVRY time you tow..This is a lot of work,, and every install is a chance to screw it up.. They eat battery power and malfunction when it runs down.. No way to recharge other than run towed is provided (There is a way) You have to stow it least it grow legs and walk off when you are driving the towed.

INSTALLED SYSTEMS
M&G,, Fits mostjeeps If motor home has Air Brakes this is a great system.. If not..Well they make a slightly more expensive model that takes car of that. 100% invisible to drivr of towed.

Most other INSTALLED systems are 99% invisible (Thre is a brackt if you look for it) and like the M&G are easy to hook up (Single cable or wire or hose).

Some (Invisible Brake, and US-Gear) that I know of provide power to the towed from the motor home

For the rest ther is a device called TOWED-CHARGE that will do the job.

US GEAR does it the easy way

Motor home chassis battery ----Circuit Breaker--------Wire--T---Breaker--Towed battery.

The breakers are 20 and 40 amp and the power unit t's in at the T.

This unit offers the most control over towed braks of any system made (US-Gear Unified Brake Decelerator) however ... I'm not trained to take full advantage of it (My brother is, but he drove SEMI for many years)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RicJones
Explorer
Explorer
About any Jeep would make a good toad, what's probably more important is which model you would like to drive. There is a BIG difference in a Wrangler and a Grand Cherokee. Are you looking to use it off-road or just on the street? Are you going to have guests riding with you? All things to consider.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
this will get you started.

http://blueox.com/recreational-commercial-flat-towing/baseplates/sorting/