cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just a reminder to change your front tires! > Video inside<<

Ocean_Mist
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if this goes here, but remember to change your tires at the proper intervals...

https://youtu.be/T-k6_zuno88?t=1m59s
06' Monaco Executive Ranier IV ~ 41' 4"
525ISX ~ Allison 4000 ~ S Series Chassis
10 Air bag/10 Source Billstein
Ralph Lauren Interior ~

Last: 99' National Class A ~ 31' Ford Chassis
14 REPLIES 14

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Accelerating does have merit and I have done it with good results. The thing is if you have survived handling a blowout another way, then that is good as well. Every situation is different, just like every driver and coach is different. Don't bad mouth one way of dealing with a blowout from some experts because you don't BELIEVE it will work, even though you haven't tried it.

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Ocean Mist wrote:
NMDriver wrote:
Some of the drivers knew what to do and some did not. Steer straight and accelerate to keep control, then slow down to a stop.

Ivylog wrote:
I doubt anyone on here runs recaps but most trucks do on the rear tires so the casings can be 10 years old. The video shows a blowout on a rear tire is pretty much a non event other than the damage from the tire.
I hope I never find out how much pull to one side there will be in a front blowout on my DP, but I know I'll accelerate, not hit the brakes.

These two statements are So good to know. Being new to DP's, i just learned how to handle a Front Tire Blowout!

"Give it GAS, and Coast to a stop...!"

If you have a blow out, the last thing you will think about is accelerating. Some people have looked at the Michelin video on blow outs. I've watched it several times on various forums and it makes no more sense now than when I first saw it. It says your first action with a front tire blows out, is to step on the accelerator, I totally disagree. I've had two blow outs, the most recent was a RF tire in May 2015. The last thing I wanted was more speed or more forward thrust. There was a pretty rough vibration in the steering wheel as well as a pull to the right. I slowed (did not brake), maintained control and got off the road. The Michelin video sounds good and looks good, however, all the scenarios are scripted with safety the primary consideration. It's like a lot of "school solutions," every aspect of the demonstration is planned. However, when doing it for real, I doubt it's merit.
2014 American Eagle

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
KansasRV wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
Precicsely why drivers of large RV's need specialized training and licensing. I just got my Class B CDL and learned lots.

You can never have too much information.

I agree but nothing in any book is equivalent to the sudden loud bang that disrupts your otherwise pleasant day behind the wheel of your RV.
This can happen in heavy traffic, on a narrow mountain road, etc. The only thing you can do is prepare and train yourself not to panic if you hear a loud strange noise while behind the wheel. You can hope it never happens to you, and it probably won't, but you still need to be prepared to act properly if it does happen.

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
KansasRV wrote:
azdryheat wrote:
Precicsely why drivers of large RV's need specialized training and licensing. I just got my Class B CDL and learned lots.

I currently hold the unofficial unfortunate RV.NET record of TWO BLOWOUTS on the same day with 5 year old G670's. To this day I still do not know the true cause of these blowouts. I have new tires and TPMS now. Hopefully will not happen again. Belts inside the blown tires were orange in color/rusty.

KansasRV
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Ocean_Mist
Explorer
Explorer
NMDriver wrote:
Some of the drivers knew what to do and some did not. Steer straight and accelerate to keep control, then slow down to a stop.

Ivylog wrote:
I doubt anyone on here runs recaps but most trucks do on the rear tires so the casings can be 10 years old. The video shows a blowout on a rear tire is pretty much a non event other than the damage from the tire.
I hope I never find out how much pull to one side there will be in a front blowout on my DP, but I know I'll accelerate, not hit the brakes.

These two statements are So good to know. Being new to DP's, i just learned how to handle a Front Tire Blowout!

"Give it GAS, and Coast to a stop...!"
06' Monaco Executive Ranier IV ~ 41' 4"
525ISX ~ Allison 4000 ~ S Series Chassis
10 Air bag/10 Source Billstein
Ralph Lauren Interior ~

Last: 99' National Class A ~ 31' Ford Chassis

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer
The last one at 9:24 is about as close to how to handle it as can be. The guy appears to have been going 326 kph or 202 mph. Not much room for acceleration at that speed is my guess.

Never had a blowout on the TV while towing, but I ran LT tires. We did get a nail through one LT tire, relatively easy to control as it was the left rear.

Did have one blowout on our 2nd TT (25' Rockwood) on the right rear. That was the one that resulted in someone swerving and totalling the trailer as it sat on the freeway shoulder - with me in the back end of it. Very lucky to have no injuries, the TT was replaced with a Wildwood 29 foot.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Either fortunately or unfortunately, I grew up at a time when recaps were all I could afford on my cars and work trucks. To say the least, I picked up a lot of experience with blowouts and tires coming apart. Later on when I was racing vehicles that previous experience helped me deal with unexpected situations. I guess I learned not to panic, not to make quick corrections in the steering or braking, and just concentrate on maintaining a straight course and coasting to a stop. I guess my most memorable blowout was with my airplane. Loosing one of the two main landing gear tires while landing will get your attention in a hurry. I have had a tread separation on a rear dual with an RV but never had a blowout. Guess I'm just lucky. :B

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
The vast majority (if not all) of the blowouts in that video were not caused by age. Semi-trucks drive so many miles their tires are never that old. Most of those were likely caused by improper inflation or maybe even existing defects in the tire.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
What I find amazing about those videos, is how many see the driver ahead of them and then the sudden blow-out. And they (the ones recording), just keep driving, and even others on the road too. Several of them, themselves, never attempt to slow down, when a critical, out of control vehicle is spinning wildly in front of them. Instead of slamming on the brakes, slowing down, and keeping the trouble ahead of them, they seem to want to race past it, putting themselves at risk with an uncontrollable vehicle that could potentially hit them. I know things happen quick, but rather than attempting to stop behind the problem, is almost as if some of them just try to beat it. Amazing, simply amazing how dumb some people are!

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I have never experienced a blow out on the main vehicle but have had many on my TT.