cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just out of warranty question

Flowergirl
Explorer
Explorer
We are facing a $2000 to $3000 bill for a rear differential repair on a F53 chassis. 2008 Winnebago, 23000 miles. Warranty ran out this past May, 2.5 months ago. Is it worth a call to Ford to see if they will work with us on this since there are not many miles on the vehicle and it isn't that far past warranty? Sounds to me like this part has more to do with movement (only 23000 miles) than sitting, parked at a park (years). Or do we just "buck up", smile and pay the bill?
6 REPLIES 6

Flowergirl
Explorer
Explorer
I guess we are too late to get Ford help then. We took it to our normal place for maintenance. Didn't know it was going to be so major before we took it there. I guess if we had the crystal ball and it told us this was going to be expensive and to take it to a Ford shop, we sure would have done it. There was a hum in the back while going 40 to 50 mph. Thanks for your opinions. I guess 16 yrs of RVing and this was our first major repair, we should be grateful.

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
Has this vehicle been diagnosed by a Ford dealer. If not don't bother calling Ford. They will simply tell you to take it to a Ford dealer. If it has been diagnosed by a Ford dealer, then definitely call Ford Customer Service and lay out your case. As stated previously, all they can do is decline any assistance but I would bet they will offer something toward the repair.

Just a word of advice, DON'T mention the sitting parked for years.

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
Flowergirl wrote:
Is it worth a call to Ford to see if they will work with us on this since there are not many miles on the vehicle and it isn't that far past warranty?

What have you got to loose, maybe a few minutes of your time? Is it worth the call? Only you can decide...a few minutes of your time to maybe save $1000 plus dollars. that would not be a hard decision for me!

1711tab
Explorer
Explorer
Flowergirl wrote:
We are facing a $2000 to $3000 bill for a rear differential repair on a F53 chassis. 2008 Winnebago, 23000 miles. Warranty ran out this past May, 2.5 months ago. Is it worth a call to Ford to see if they will work with us on this since there are not many miles on the vehicle and it isn't that far past warranty? Sounds to me like this part has more to do with movement (only 23000 miles) than sitting, parked at a park (years). Or do we just "buck up", smile and pay the bill?

Call them, the worst they can say is NO...

Tim

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Flowergirl wrote:
We are facing a $2000 to $3000 bill for a rear differential repair on a F53 chassis... Sounds to me like this part has more to do with movement (only 23000 miles) than sitting, parked at a park (years). Or do we just "buck up", smile and pay the bill?

A diff that sits a long time (years) can develop a resonating hum. This is because all the oil eventually runs off the top of the gear and it rusts in that area. The minor pitting causes the hum and the only way to fix it is to replace the gear.
Other than that, sitting doesn't normally cause any problems for the differential.

What exactly is it doing?

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a tranny, out of warrenty problem one time ,they paid half the bill. call the hot line for customer service,BEFORE THE WORK IS DONE. have all your paper work handy, and hot line customer rep name. things went smooth.