cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just received a Ford recall notice for rigs cruise control

Cousin_Eddie93
Explorer
Explorer
The weird thing about this is my rig is 21 years old! The recall notice says the cruise control switch can catch fire whether I use it or not. Do I assume after 21 years this part is fine? Or do I take it to a Ford dealer; one who can service a 29' Class C and get it fixed?
16 REPLIES 16

adayjk
Explorer
Explorer
The "fix" is an $8 harness with a fuse in it. Take it in. It can catch fire even if the vehicle isn't being driven. The "fix" doesn't fix anything, it just adds a fuse so if the circuit fails it won't catch fire.

Unhook the chassis battery when the vehicle is not in use until you can get it done. Dealers unhooked the cruise control module and told consumers to keep using the vehicles when the parts were on backorder in the 2000's, so you could consider that.

I wouldn't ignore it. Some of these vehicles really will catch fire. Ford is definitely limiting their liability by getting this off the books, but there really can be a fire. A sign of impending doom is the failure of the cruise control to function if it is still plugged in ...

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
The recall is old but they probably got checking and found yours wasn't done yet. The gov. is doing a lot to penalize companies and fine them to get money.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford