cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

King Pin Replacement

RodLyle
Explorer
Explorer
Had tires rotated and check.............have 44,000 miles on motorhome home............they told me I needed the king pins replaced.

Just wondering if they should have lasted longer than 44,000 mile?

It is a workhorse chassis.

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Partly correct.

The Chevy/Workhorse P chassis had ball joints.

The Workhorse W had king pins (solid front axle).

I guess I'm a few years behind the times. At any rate 44,000 miles sounds a bit premature for king pins. I've had several trucks over the years with straight axles and never had to replace a king pin until they were well over 100,000 miles. We just traded in our 2001 Adventurer on the F53 chassis. At over 100,000 miles the king pins were still like new.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

dcbrewer
Explorer
Explorer
I know my w-22 has king pins. Grease before ever trip. Grease is cheap!!

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Partly correct.

The Chevy/Workhorse P chassis had ball joints.

The Workhorse W had king pins (solid front axle).
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
I never heard of a Workhorse chassis that has king pins. They have upper and lower ball joints. Page 4-53 of the Workhorse chassis owners manual gives instructions on how to lube the "UPPER and LOWER BALL JOINTS.

Workhorse Chassis Owners Manual
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

huffmeister
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Where are you.. Scipio UT?

Every time I have stopped for gas on I-15, an attendant has told me of a pressing repair that MUST be done immediately. I always was told how honest Mormon folk were. Crock 'o******in my book. And my SIL is from a Mormon family.

Mike_Hohnstein
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty easy to check. Set the front axle on jack stands with tires an inch or two off the pavement. Using a pry bar under a tire, apply upward pressure abd release, closly watch for verticle motion of the spindle at the king pin, if you can see movement the pin bushings are gone. I believe a rule of thumb spec is .025 inch max.

Tim_Nowicki
Explorer
Explorer
Not an expert on king pins, but properly maintained, I believe they should last longer than that. My definition of maintained?? Well lubed. Lotsa grease. They can be real tuff to remove if they are frozen in place.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where are you.. Scipio UT?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman