cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KLR 650 Hitch Hauler Question....

sgarrett415
Explorer
Explorer
Wondering if anyone could help me a little....I am looking at buying a Versahaul bike hauler for my KLR to go behind my Motorhome. The question I have is: The tray to hold the bike is only 71" long. Has anyone used a hauler with a 71" tray to haul a KLR 650? I am not sure the 71" tray is quite long enough. Thank you!
12 REPLIES 12

ziggirina
Explorer
Explorer
what is weight of bike carried on the versa haul motorcycle carrier. is there a limit
My bike weighs about 600 lbs.

Wolfe
Explorer
Explorer
DRZ 400, but about the same size, works great and can still pull a trailer.
When loading alone I put it in gear so it won't roll and then lean it against the RV, no problem.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
A friend carries a KLR650 on a Versahaul, works will for him. He's traveled several thousand miles with the bike on the rack.
Bob

krivanj
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a KLR600 on my Versahaul. Same bike as the early KLR 650s. Works fine.
Fleetwood Revolution LE 38X
2011 Scion TC toad

sgarrett415
Explorer
Explorer
So helpful you guys! Thanks so much for your input and knowledge!

jwolf55
Explorer
Explorer
06Fargo wrote:
The main issue I have with my Versahaul carrier is lack of support for the bike while you make your first tie down connection when loading solo. I will be fabbing up a kickstand platform that slides in the receiver on the Versahaul to stand the bike once it is loaded.

The Versahaul works great and has capacity for a KLR no problem.

The Versahaul has a lock fitting at the vehicle receiver that stops any floppage of the hauler and bike.

The rack I have has a clamp that you screw in and clamp the front tire/wheel, then strap it down. As you can see in the picture it is not strapped down it is just setting there with the front wheel clamped.
The rac was about $120 but I extended it out 6" and dropped it 2" so the handle bars cleared the back of the coach. see link to rack in other post. When the coach is not leveled and the suspension is dropped the rach is only about a foot off the ground for loading and unloading.
Jay Wolf
Vincennes IN
2000 National Tradewinds 7373

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
The main issue I have with my Versahaul carrier is lack of support for the bike while you make your first tie down connection when loading solo. I will be fabbing up a kickstand platform that slides in the receiver on the Versahaul to stand the bike once it is loaded.

The Versahaul works great and has capacity for a KLR no problem.

The Versahaul has a lock fitting at the vehicle receiver that stops any floppage of the hauler and bike.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III

jwolf55
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a KLR 650 on a rack behind my Tradewinds. This is an old picture taken when I was setting it up. I used a 2" receiver drop/extension I bought at a swap meet, and it was welded crooked, as you can see, after this shot was taken, I cut it, leveled it out, welded and now it sets level. I flipped the rack around so the handlebars didn't hit the ladder. I have a Rekluse clutch on my KLR so I can drive it on and off no problem.

It is an aluminum rack with 500 lbs. capacity. I put my aluminum panniers in the basement of the coach when traveling as they are too wide for the rack.

This is the one I have
MC carrier
Jay Wolf
Vincennes IN
2000 National Tradewinds 7373

sgarrett415
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you...

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not sure what type of MH you have but I am going to move this to the Class A MH forum. Hopefully you will get some good response there.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
The wheelbase on the KLR is only 58". I have seen them on haulers of the same dimension as the versahauler, but different brand.

VH has a good reputation.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...