cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kwikee step issue

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
My class A steps (2) were staying open. The door magnet is ok. I could hear the motor running but no step movement. I got underneath, pulled the motor off and verified that it and it's gear were moving in sequence with the door open and shut. All was ok. It appears that the main gear was jammed up against the stop. I got if freed and the steps swung ok. I put everything back together but now the motor runs but the gear on the motor isn't turning. It did fine when I test ran it by itself. I am thinking that maybe there is a problem with control module but not sure. Any comments or suggestions? Thanks!
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag
2005 Silverado 2500 w/ piggy back golf cart
11 REPLIES 11

barnaclebill
Explorer
Explorer
part number 83094 window motor 1995 ford 150 and other ford models. $30.99 @ my local parts store.
2009 Monaco Camelot 42PDQ
425 Cummins
Chevy Equinox or Tracker
Blue Ox towing

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
Went there but they wanted the year and model of the car....well that won't work. We did search the shelves and could not find a match. For the sake of time, I just ordered from Amazon...
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I got it at Auto Zone for $45.00 with lifetime warranty.....and after about 5 years got a free one.

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
Ordered a new motor from Amazon for $85. Installed and now works great!
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like a sheared pin or broken shaft on the motor. You are going to have to pull the motor off the transmission and inspect the gear

This is a worm gear it should turn. If not. Gear not engaged to shaft or shaft not shafting. (Turning). but if you hear the motor running. Well that limits it to Gear not engaged. Never heard of that happening before on those motors.

The bad news. You may need to buy a new motor (Very expensive for OEM)
the good news: it is a very INexpensive Window riser motor you can get at Auto-parts-r-us type places (Long list of auto parts stores omitted).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
AikenRacer wrote:
When I pulled the motor off and ran it, the small circular gear on the motor turns as the door is opened and closed. But once installed, I can hear the motor run but the small circular gear doesn't turn....????

Did you remember to install the 2 round washers before you inserted the removable gear? I will bet you lost them. The 2 washers are installed over the shaft and then you insert the gear and pin. Those washers come off with the gear and fall off if you do not take care to secure them. Doug

fairway2002
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a bad spot on a gear in the gearbox.

AikenRacer
Explorer
Explorer
When I pulled the motor off and ran it, the small circular gear on the motor turns as the door is opened and closed. But once installed, I can hear the motor run but the small circular gear doesn't turn....????
2012 Tuscany 42RQ tag

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Those LCI motors sure look just like 1993 Ford pickup window motors. Think I'd check at Autozone or Oreilleys.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
From your description, you must have a LCI(Coach Step/SCS) step? Kwikee steps, all the gear teeth are internal and you cannot see them. LCI steps the pie shaped external gear is visible. The control module has nothing to do with IF the gears on the motor turn. True for both brands of steps. If LCI or Kwikee, you need a new motor. Doug
LCI parts
motor
https://store.lci1.com/motor-for-all-steps-electric

pie shaped gear

https://store.lci1.com/gear-unit-single-double-electric-steps

PS, good luck finding a aftermarket LCI motor that is cheaper.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Under the motor gear are 3 cushions to absorb the start and stop shock. I suggest they are collapsed. Remove snap ring on shaft and pull off gear.
Link to cushions.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson