cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kwikee Steps - only work when battery charger is applied

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
On my 2001 Itasca Suncruiser, my Kwikee steps only work correctly if I plug a battery charger onto the chassis starting battery. What is odd is that the battery WILL START the engine. But the kwikee steps will not work correctly (they go in/out/in/out/in/out) unless I apply a battery charger onto the chassis battery. Then the steps work without fail. Do I just need a new battery even though it will crank the engine? :h
7 REPLIES 7

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
kmb1966 wrote:
I removed the battery cables, cleaned the connections (weren't really dirty) and I have been testing this over and over and over.
Works when battery charger is ON
Does not work when battery charger OFF

Perhaps the step motor is bad and requiring more voltage than normal?

A bad motor winding will indeed operate at a slightly higher voltage. That is a test I make when diagnosing a Step. Does it operate correctly ONLY when the engine is running or not. If all wiring checks out, then the motor has a dead spot. Doug

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Your best bet is to follow the trouble shooting guide in the manual. Simple and concise "and" almost always solves problems.

Manual is available on line search for #888.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
Look for a ground to the chassis frame from the control box and motor. It might need to be cleaned up or even re-done.

Miles
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
I removed the battery cables, cleaned the connections (weren't really dirty) and I have been testing this over and over and over.
Works when battery charger is ON
Does not work when battery charger OFF

Perhaps the step motor is bad and requiring more voltage than normal?

kmb1966
Explorer
Explorer
so far only 2 wires on the chassis battery and that's the large red + and large black - wires.

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
As already said look at the ground. The steps may be wired directly to the battery as they are a safety item that has to work all the time. You probably have a loose ground wire or power wire right at the battery and when you stick the charger clamp on it the wire connects.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
Check the ground for the steps.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO