cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kwikee steps

brick
Explorer
Explorer
My steps stopped working. The motor runs but the steps do not move. To stop the motor from running, I disconnected the battery. I can push them in and lock by turning the square drive link. It seems like the gears are stripped but do not see any shavings.
1997 Kountry Aire,Ford
Banks
Saturn L series
8 REPLIES 8

Deano56
Explorer
Explorer
bsinmich wrote:
You can easily remove the motor to see how that runs. They are power window motors in most cases and are DC motor, meaning reversing polarity reverses the direction of the motor. Usually they are from Ford vehicles. I took mine to a NAPA store and looked through their picture catalog. I have 3 steps on mine so it may be different. Be careful working on steps. They have enough torque to remove fingers. Count before and after to make sure you have the same # of fingers.
lol. ouch

peaches_cream
Explorer
Explorer
Great thing about the Autozone motor is the lifetime guarantee. Just take it back if it quits and they will replace it free. Shame Kwikee does not care about it's customers.

$41.99 today at Auto Zone

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Brick,

I'll tell you what I would do to make life easier. If you remove the cotter key from the clevis pin that connects the gear assembly to the steps and then remove the four 1/4 - 20 nuts and lock washers that hold the entire assembly to the steps. Of course you should follow all the safety procedures and all those things people tell you about as disclaimers.

Once the two cables are disconnected and the clevis pin and nuts are removed you can sit comfortably at your workbench and start dis assembling the motor gear assembly.

There will be three cap screws holding the motor to the gear assembly. After you remove the motor, test it to see if the drive gear is rotating. If the gear is rotating, assume for a minute that the motor is okay and take the cover off the gear assembly and check the gears in there.

Of course if the gear doesn't rotate or if is is jerky and skips disassemble the gear housing that is part of the lift motor and see what is bad.

If it is the big gear in the gear housing, you can buy a kit to rebuild the gear assembly. If it' the gear in the motor assembly you will probably need a new lift motor. There are several different motors that have been used and I wish I knew where you can get one for $30/40. Most are in the 50's.

There are several posts regarding what the numbers are from AZ, NAPA and others. Just make sure that the motor you buy is an exact duplicate for the one you are removing.

Chris Bryant has great info on here and his website. I have written a couple that I think are very accurate and there are others. Search back a couple of years.

Judging from age of your rig the lift motor will have an aluminum gear housing attached to the motor and there are several different ones that were used by Kwikee. If the gear housing that is intrigal to the motor is phenolic it is from a company in Oregon and you can buy directly from them at a reduced rate.

I don't have the print outs of who the company is or the guy in parts to talk to but it is in several posts on the forum. I just want to reiterate that removing one clevis pin and four nuts and having the entire assembly out on your work bench makes it so much easier than laying on your back working overhead in a cramped space.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

$25--$30 at a Auto Zone---Advance---etc

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
How many steps? I have a spare motor for 3 steps Kwikee
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
You can easily remove the motor to see how that runs. They are power window motors in most cases and are DC motor, meaning reversing polarity reverses the direction of the motor. Usually they are from Ford vehicles. I took mine to a NAPA store and looked through their picture catalog. I have 3 steps on mine so it may be different. Be careful working on steps. They have enough torque to remove fingers. Count before and after to make sure you have the same # of fingers.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

rad_valve
Explorer
Explorer
May be the plastic gear in the power window motor that is stripped.