cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leaking jack Power Gear Level Best 3000

22WANDER
Explorer
Explorer
My left rear jack is leaking. Can the seal be replaced or do I need a new jack? Also is it something I can do?
9 REPLIES 9

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
22WANDER wrote:
Thanks for all the help. The good news is we have been jacks down for six days and, I check the jack everyday and it is not leaking? What is going on? The Rv is new to us April this yr. It had 9k miles when we bought it, so it has not been used much. Maybe the jack had dirt in the seal?

Your jacks should have grease fittings on the bottom collar. Get a grease gun and install the grease until you see the lower piston seal start to bulge. THAT will help keep any leak to a minimum AND make the piston retract quicker and easier. Doug

22WANDER
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the help. The good news is we have been jacks down for six days and, I check the jack everyday and it is not leaking? What is going on? The Rv is new to us April this yr. It had 9k miles when we bought it, so it has not been used much. Maybe the jack had dirt in the seal?

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
jerseyjim wrote:
DOUGRAINER: Yes....there are rebuild kits available from PowerGear. But not for all the model jacks.
Of course, the one I have (500384).....no kit is available. Not made. Of course.
Something to do with the internal threads, I think.

Well the OP has a 2007 model which is way above the 2003 older cut off. Doug

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
DOUGRAINER: Yes....there are rebuild kits available from PowerGear. But not for all the model jacks.
Of course, the one I have (500384).....no kit is available. Not made. Of course.
Something to do with the internal threads, I think.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
22WANDER wrote:
My left rear jack is leaking. Can the seal be replaced or do I need a new jack? Also is it something I can do?

You really need a heavy duty vise to do it easily. AND a LARGE pipe wrench. Make sure you soak the 6 mount bolts with liquid wrench for 24 hours before attempting to remove the jack from the chassis rail. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
PG seals rebuild seal/collar kits. I have YET to see a piston damaged when replacing the seal kit. Copy and paste this link to find your rebuild P/n. You DO have to go thru an authorized PG dealer. Doug
http://www.powergearus.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Online-Catalog.pdf

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
I just went thru this. During an oil/filter change last fall I noticed a pool of oil in the foot of one of my PowerGear jacks. THAT would explain the alarm that kept going off from time to time for a couple months. (I would fill the reservoier up, but a few weeks later, the alarm would start again).
Contacting PowerGear...they do not rebuild. They won't even sell directly to you. Only an RV dealer or retailer. (Know a gas station owner or shop? He can probably get it for you if he wants to....maybe cheaper than an RV dealer)
Long story short, I could not find any hydraulic shop (all they want to do is hoses and fittings) less than 80 miles away who would even ATTEMPT a teardown and repair. Reason? ANY imperfection of ANY kind on that chrome piston....renders any re-build useless. And...they would charge a couple hundred to tear down and find out what was or what was not damaged.
So...I now have a nifty boat anchor in my garage. The model number of the jack is ON the jack so ordering a duplicate should not be a problem Bought a new one for over $600. You can do the removal and install yourself...but if you do, be aware of two things:
1- use a 200psi air compressor and a high quality impact gun (like Snap-On) the Harbor freight& tool things are good for alot...but not for this. Ditto for the "normal" 125# compressors. Them bolts is ON there!
2- The bolts and nuts are hardened...not available at, like Home Depot or Lowes...so I had to go to GRAINGERS...and HAD to buy 50 hardened bolts and 50 hardend nuts. If I recall correctly, they are 1/2-24, 1 1/2 inches long. Maybe 1 3/4. Remove the old and measure them. DON'T reuse them.
You can buy used jacks on the net for about $300. Not me........................

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Send PG an email.
2014 American Eagle

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
find a hyd repair shop in your area ,they got the tools . call the