Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LED wont work in one fixture

jeremywatco
Explorer
Explorer
Good Afternoon,

Just finishing swapping out all my fixtures to LED bulbs and am on the final fixture.

This fixture is the dinette light and takes 3 bulbs. Swap out all 3 with these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087XOTWW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And only two turn on. OK, swap out the one that wont work with one of the working ones.. still nothing.. OK.. put the original bulb back in.. Works fine... put another working LED back in it.. Nothing....

Any ideas? I've wiggled, jiggled and cussed at it.. nothing.
6 REPLIES 6

jeremywatco
Explorer
Explorer
Its always the simplest solutions isnt it? Flipped the bulb, works perfect.

THANKS!

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Usually I have been able to just turn the LED over and stick it back into the socket, and it will work because the polarity is corrected.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Regular lamps work on AC, DC and reverse polarity DC

LED come in two types. ONE type.. see above
The other kind works
On DC
On ac but at reduced brilliance
But not on reverse polarity DC

Now bulbs come in a few flavors physically... Some you can turn the lamp 180 degrees and reverse the polarity (Wedge based) some you can remove the led assembly from the adapter and plug it in the other way around into the adapter. And some... Dissassemble the lamp fixture and odds are you will find a bunchy of white wires and black wires coming from the sockets to a common point.

IF this is a 3 light fixture the wires from the sockets should are most likely bundled WHITE, WHITE, BLACK and BLACK, BLACK, WHITE the one that is not working being the odd one... I suspect by now you have figured the problem.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
That one fixture may have been wired backwards. The old 'Normal' bulb will work either way. An LED will only work if the wire polarity is correct. Some LEDs can be damaged if the polarity is wrong. I always check.
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

Hiking_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
LEDS do have a polarity. Sounds like that one socket (of the three) is wired backwards.
Amateur Radio WA4GIY
2015 Montana High Country 305RL
2013 RAM 3500 4x4, crew cab, long bed, 6.7 CTD, Aisin trans.
CGVW 20460 Lbs.

cabranch47
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried turning them around. I understand some led's are polarity sensitive.
2009 Flagstaff HW 27SC
1999 Ford F150 XCab