cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Left Rear Turn Signal NOT Working

RobertLang
Explorer
Explorer
It is the left rear turn signal AND LEFT BRAKE LIGHTS that are NOT working.

Previously I said the brake lamp worked. It does NOT.

The Left Rear Turn Signal AND BRAKE LAMPS are NOT Working on my 2002 Jayco Granite Ridge. The running, and backup lights are fine and I replaced the bulbs just to be sure (and even tested the bulbs via putting them in the right side). In front of the Jayco, the left turn AMBER indicator flashes fast. Inside the cab, the turn signal indicator blinks faster than usual.

I tested for current with my meter and NO CURRENT flows to the back for the LEFT TURN SIGNAL (and I tested the right, just for grins and see how it should react).

If I put and extra bulb on the front AMBER bulb, inside the Jayco the turn indicator flashes normal.

Cannot fix with a new wire from the front to the rear via the same wire that sends current to the left front AMBER turn light. But I thought I ask . . .

ANY FUSIBLE LINK in that turn signal line? Anything else I should do before running a new line?

THANK YOU!!!
16 REPLIES 16

RobertLang
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
. . .

?????!?!?!?!?????!?!?!?

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
. . .
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

RobertLang
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
... (they) connect Jayco lights to the Ford wiring at the rear behind the fuel tank. . . .

Thank you! I will crawl under and see. If I have good wire to there, I will only use a shorter jumper/new wire run. This is good to know. THank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Sorry, Jayco does NOT run wires from front to rear. The Ford Chassis wiring is what is run from front to rear. Jayco just connects Jayco lights to the Ford wiring at the rear behind the fuel tank. And YES, I know what I am talking about.----40 years and still working as a Motorhome Tech and 27 years(still working) as a Jayco dealer RV tech. While you fixed your problem, you went the long way around it. Doug

RobertLang
Explorer
Explorer
I was able to get Ford E350 wiring diagram and a mechanic who assured me that the turn signal line, once energized at the multi function switch on the steering column, the power then runs to the rear light with NO intervening fuses, relays, or other stuff.

THUS -- disconnect the negative lead on the battery. Then, three phillip head screws later, and I have the multi function switch exposed.

Not a big deal but JAYCO runs a pair of wires to the back, and just before they touch the light, they are connected and proceed as a single wire. For me, I cut the Scotch Crimped connector, and isolated the lines, both pairs, four wires, left side and right side. (if you keep the wires mated, the multiMETER gives odd results).

At the turn signal in the cab, the #5 pin drives the right lights. As this was working, I tested continuity on it, first. It showed NO RESISTANCE, meaning the wire was intact from front to rear.

Then, again at the turn signal in the cab, the #9 pin drives the left lights. This was the side that WAS NOT WORKING. THe continuity test showed an OPEN CIRCUIT. This means the wire is broken someplace between the front and rear.

I ran a new wire. Temporarily pinning it into the circuit. YES! Lights work as they are supposed to. So I then cut the old wire near the #9 pin, soldered it in, taped it and put shrink wrap on it as well. Went for a drive with the wife!

THANK YOU.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Does the brake light work? It uses the same filament as the turn signal if turn signals are red.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

RobertLang
Explorer
Explorer
RobertLang wrote:
Krusty wrote:
If the front turn signal is flashing fast,. . . . make sure you have power out of the switch on the LG/WH wire.

THANK YOU. I'll go back under the e-brake area.

Sir, What is LG/WH Light green/white? Where?

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Jayco uses scotch locks to secure the taillight assbly to the wiring behind the lights. Take the light loose from the body and check the scotch locks. Odds are there is a bad connection and verify that indeed the ground wire to that light has a good ground. Doug

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
RobertLang wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
enblethen wrote:
Look in chassis owner's manual for fuse locations. . . for trailer left turn fuse.

Not correct. RV OEM's do NOT wire . . . You still have the TOW plug wiring fuses for the LR and RR. Doug

According to the FORD F-450 manual, there is no listed fuse for left rear only or right rear only fuse. But I will look into the JAYCO fuse panel. Easier to replace a fuse IF I CAN FIND ONE THAT IS BLOWN.

Otherwise, I am running a new wire.

THANK YOU!!!

Jayco does NOT run their own fuse panel for chassis systems. NO OEM does. The Lighting is connected BY Jayco to the chassis harness. Over 20 years ago, the Chassis makers separated the TOW harness wiring from the BOX lighting harness. They did this to prevent having a short in the Tow system causing loss of lights on the BOX system. It can be difficult to find the correct fuse. I NEVER consult the owners manual fuse box schematic. It is quicker for me to take my 12 volt test light and check every fuse in BOTH chassis fuse blocks. The one inside by the E brake and the one outside in the engine compartment area. Doug

RobertLang
Explorer
Explorer
Krusty wrote:
If the front turn signal is flashing fast,. . . . make sure you have power out of the switch on the LG/WH wire.

THANK YOU. I'll go back under the e-brake area.

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
If the front turn signal is flashing fast, then the rear probably isn't powered by the trailer circuit. After testing all the fuses (make sure to test fuse F2.15 in the fuse box under the dash), I would check the turn signal switch and make sure you have power out of the switch on the LG/WH wire.
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

RobertLang
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
enblethen wrote:
Look in chassis owner's manual for fuse locations. . . for trailer left turn fuse.

Not correct. RV OEM's do NOT wire . . . You still have the TOW plug wiring fuses for the LR and RR. Doug

According to the FORD F-450 manual, there is no listed fuse for left rear only or right rear only fuse. But I will look into the JAYCO fuse panel. Easier to replace a fuse IF I CAN FIND ONE THAT IS BLOWN.

Otherwise, I am running a new wire.

THANK YOU!!!

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
enblethen wrote:
Look in chassis owner's manual for fuse locations. Some companies wire the coach lights through the trailer connector wiring harness. You are looking for trailer left turn fuse.

Not correct. RV OEM's do NOT wire the BOX rear lighting thru the TRAILER tow fuse for the tow plug. The Chassis systems usually have a LR and a RR fuse for the BOX rear lighting. You still have the TOW plug wiring fuses for the LR and RR. Doug

RobertLang
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
...You are looking for trailer left turn fuse.
THANK YOU!