cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leveling jacks

Vintmxman
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to have a hydraulic leveling system installed and was wondering what systems people have and would suggest and which systems to avoid and if there are other similar leveling systems on the market.

Thank you in advance....
11 REPLIES 11

Grandpa_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
We had the Big Foot Automatic system added by the factory when we purchased our 2011 Sunseeker 2650DS purchased from RV Direct in Albany NY, I believe it was a $2600.00 adder? Works great. I understand that you need to be careful when doing this manually not to twist the frame of the chassis?

http://shop.thebigfootleveler.com/Ford-E-450-Automatic-Leveling-System-QA-FC.htm

azpete
Explorer
Explorer
j-d, installation instructions for all hwh leveling systems are available on the hwh website.
maybe the bolt holes that are on the mounting brackets can be elongated enough to pivot the offending jack to miss the cross member?
sent you a pm

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
I have recently purchased the Quadra Manufacturing Big Foot EZ System for our 2005 Winnebago Aspect 23D. As with any change to your motorhome as it came from the manufacturer, do your research to determine if the intended modification is appropriate. I came to the conclusion that the Big Foot system would best fit our application.

Yes, welding on any chassis component is something that needs to be approached with the correct knowledge and tool but, most competent fabricators can do this installation correctly and without any difficulty. If you are concerned about welding on your particular coach, find out from a professional. Here is information directly from Ford about the correct procedure for welding on the Ford chassis that I referred to prior to making my decision on the Big Foot system. Yes, you can safely and correctly weld on a vehicle.

If you are unable to do this installation yourself, determine where you must have the work completed before you decide what system to use. The Big Foot system I have selected can very easily be installed by the owner if they have appropriate knowledge and access to the necessary tools. It is not a difficult procedure for the experienced "do-it-yourselfer".
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

triple602
Explorer
Explorer
I've done a fair amount of research on leveling jacks and have yet to read anything negative about Bigfoot. Now if only I lived closer to MI....

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our HWH Kick-Down jacks use brackets welded to the chassis. Not all that carefully, actually. I can see where a rear bracket holed a waste tank. Tank was plastic welded and part of the bracket was butched off with a cutting torch. Fronts were installed sloppily too. One snags on a cross member on retract. I'd like to see HWH's install instructions for their direct-acting jacks on E-Series. I believe an OP here installed HWH Direct-Acting on a Ford-based Class C. Winnebago-something I believe.
We're camping as I send this and we did not deploy the jacks. Site was level side-to-side so we just drove the front wheels up on two 2*10 blocks. Jacks might have kicked down, I just didn't want the frustration.
Pete, can you provide any advice to help the kick-down performance?
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

azpete
Explorer
Explorer
hwh does offer the straight down jacks for most class c models. however.
because some mfg install items in the way, or just because the dealer prefers to install the kick downs. they tell you only the kick downs will fit.
most of the ford, the sprinter chassis, will take straight jacks. if you insist on a quote, the dealer can provide them for you.
if you have a question about fit or application, please email me
pfmaddox@att.net. i will find out for you. i dont quote price, i will leave thatup to the installer. i dont want to compete with our customers.
j-d is right, good advice.
all our systems are bolt on. welding on the newer chassis is a no-no according to mfg's.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
My first advice is to ALWAYS get "direct acting" jacks, and it appears every BigFoot system is direct. HWH is another company and good to my knowledge, but some of theirs are "kick down" and I consider that a major weakness. Spent a lot of time looking at BF's webpages. Their most basic sytem is $2200 (plus installation of course!) but it's a Single Pump (connected to Jacks with Hoses) system not their famous Four-Jack (one Pump per Jack) system that's about $1000 more. And UP, depending on how much electronics you want.
I tried to research DIY Installation. It didn't look too bad, but their video and pix showed chassis with no Coach, Tanks, etc. etc. aboard.
What concerns me is the Welding. Jacks bolt to Brackets but Brackets Weld to Chassis. Since I don't weld I'd need somebody to do that part. I think that would be a Tech Issues item. From my limited exposure to welding, I think both terminals of both Chassis and House batteries should be disconnected, and the welder Ground should be attached, maybe even bolted, to the Chassis four times, close to each bracket weld. Again I'd check, but perhaps Wire Welding could be an option to traditional Arc.
BF's basic systems operate the Jacks in Pairs. The idea is to not rack the chassis lifting one corner or opposite corners. I don't see that as a drawback because the jacks are direct acting. We have HWH Kick-Down, and one of their two disadvantages is they don't always kick to vertical before extending. I often have to pull on one to get it straight. The other disadvantage is the pivot mechanism can wobble a little so kick down doesn't provide the stability of direct acting.
BF shows Required mounting locations for Front Jacks and Options for Rear Jacks. My advice would be to get as much separation as you can. Rears in the Rearward of the two positions they offer, and on the Outside of the Chassis if you can. Jacks on a short coach tend to lift the whole coach as you level. By the time you achieve level, the coach may be higher than it would need to be if the load lifted from closer to sides and ends. We had a 24-ft Class C with 158" wheelbase. It wasn't unusual to have a front wheel off the ground before we got level. That was even if the campsite wasn't grossly cockeyed, and with an older HWH system that let us work one jack at a time.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Mbylone
Explorer
Explorer
BigFoot- you won't regret it!

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
One thing to consider is how much weight they add to your mh.

Prpl_Lady
Explorer
Explorer
We also have Bigfoot levelers on our class C. We live in ND and made an appointment with Quadra Mfg. in White Pigeon, MI to install the levelers while on our way to visit family in southern MI. I cannot give enough praise for the product, company and its employees. They were friendly and very knowledgeable. I would not hesitate to go directly to them again if levelers were needed on a future RV.
2009 31F Four Winds Dutchmen E-450

GrumpyandGrandm
Explorer
Explorer
I'd go with BIG FOOT. We had them installed on our 2001 JAYCO DESIGNER 3230 and I wish JAYCO had put them on our SENECA. Not sure where you live, but you can have them installed at the BIG FOOT factory in White Pigeon, MI. If you go up the night before they have elec in back of the building.
Grandma in front of her retirement home..
She lets Grumpy drive!!