cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lippert Hydraulic pump

aihchris107
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2011 Monaco Knight that had a fluid leak from the leveler/slideout pump. The dealer said they fixed it, Said it was a connection. Got the unit home and found it still leaked but not sure from where. Leaked about a half Qt over a six month period during storage. used the unit on recent trip leaked a little but has stopped leaking. Any idea how this could fix itself?
4 REPLIES 4

ctpres
Explorer
Explorer
If after repair leak of about qt was measured or observed at tank - I have no idea. Repair might have been good - but there could be lots of fluid lingering in various parts of chassis. We had leak repaired and fluid dripped for months.
A "Retired" Mind is a Terrible Thing to Waste
Chuck USNR, USAF & USCGA and Suzie
Challenger Owners Club

2015 Thor Challenger 37KT
2014 Ford Fiesta
2011 Sea Eagle 385 FT kayak
2009 Polaris RZR
2014 Zenetto Stealth road bike

Moved from Forum Technical Support

Bonefish
Explorer
Explorer
My Lippert hydraulic pump tank was leaking which soaked the carpet and pad in the adjacent area. After finding out the cost of sending in the old unit and getting a re-conditioned one from Lippert I figured that I would attempt my own repair.

I repaired the problem on my leaking tank and it now have been over two years and has not leaked a drop.

I first took photos of all the connections-electrical and hydraulic.
Disconnect the battery and remove all the electrical connections and hydraulic lines so you can remove the pump to an clean area you can work on it. Mine is in a very small tite compartment.
Drain the pump reservoir of pump oil.
On my model there are 4 bolts holding the tank to the main pump body.
Carefully slide the tank off avoiding damaging the O-Ring. (Note: Lippert refused to send me a replacement O-Ring and I could not find one of similar size at any of the shops around here.)

After running some tests on various materials I figured out that the hydraulic pump oil will NOT DISOLVE the YELLOW TEFLON TAPE used for gas lines. After cleaning the tank and area of the O-ring, leave the existing O-ring in place and put two raps of 1/2 inch wide yellow teflon tape over the existing O-ring. Carefully slide the tank back on being careful not to move or shift the teflon tape. Replace the bolts and tighten them until snug. Do not over tighten which could crack or deform the tank. Reinstall the pump and refill the tank with fresh hydraulic oil (Tracter supplies have this).

We have been out on a number of trips down some fairly rough roads with no leaks to date since my repair.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Typically that leak is the reservoir to pump connection. There are several fixes that have been tried. But the best is a new oring and a large hose clamp. The clamp goes around the base of the reservoir not too tight but snug enough to prevent the tank from distorting.