cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for a Class C (or maybe an (A)

Bearhawk
Explorer
Explorer
Two weeks ago I was sitting in my TT watching TV all by my self and it dawned on me that with the kids mostly no longer camping. My wife preferring a vacation that did not involve dishes, cooking, or making beds. And putting my boat on top of the truck when a perfectly good boat trailer was at home was getting too be a bit of a struggle. It was time to let the TT with the bunks find a new family to make memories with. Well today a wonderful family we know has bought both the trailer and the truck. I am now shopping for a class C rig.

I am looking to get the world, for the cost of nothing. (like everyone else!)

Seriously here is my list:

1) Queen Rear island bed - I like the nightstand idea and it is what I am used to.
2) Bunk over the cab - my youngest daughter will still be my fishing buddy for a year or two.
3) Dinette, my wife would like to come out for day trips and when we go diving.
4) Onboard Generator - to run the air and so I don't have to run my champion ๐Ÿ™‚
5) A/C, Furnace, Fridge & Freezer
6) Awning

That puts me in the 27 to 30 foot range and my budget puts me in the mid nineties for years. I don't want to tie up too much cash as I will only be using about 6 times a year.

I see some Shasta and Glendale models available and a few with the twin beds in the back that while I see benefits just do not appeal to me. I am also open on the two chairs or the couch set up.

Feel free to pass on any advice for my search or comments you have.
Bearhawk (n): A Plansbuilt Amature Aircraft. An expensive hobby that was replaced by 2007 29FBS Jayco Jayflight G2 & 2008 F350 Crew with 6.4L Diesel
At least this adventure flew off the drawing board and running out of fuel is not as dangerous! :B
24 REPLIES 24

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
One of the many quality features I like with my Nexus is the one piece fiberglass roof and end caps. Having that level of quality in the build I just don't see a down side to the cabover berth. It is huge and makes makes a nice Movie/reading lounge as well as a decent guest berth. :C

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Call me crazy, but I do like the rear corner queen floor plan and the cabover. When I was looking at a Solera, I didn't even notice the slide was in until I poked around the toilet and saw the exterior wall. So, they may not be as roomy as an "A" with five slides, but they are not bad at all.

I do understand about the cabover downsides. I personally like it, assuming it has a fiberglass front cap (so it doesn't turn into a big gelatinous piece of rotted biomass after a couple years) because it gives me not just bed space, but can give a good amount of additional storage for light, bulky items, such as additional clothing, bedding, curtains (so one can wall off the cab portion when it is cold and one is in one spot for a bit), and plastic tubs with toilet paper, paper towels, etc.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 on a Winnebago. We love our 24 foot Itasca, but unfortunately Winnebago no longer offers a model with the features/construction of ours ... I can only guess as to why they discontinued offering models like it.

For what it's worth, I have replaced some small parts on it and got the exact parts for it delivered right to my door by just making a phone call to a Winnebago parts supplier.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Bearhawk
Explorer
Explorer
Kidsgone wrote:
I second the Winnebago!! We have owned a couple other brands and wish we started with WInnebago! Alot less problems for sure. Good time to buy at the end of a year...closeouts! Look at the Winnebago Access, they are very nice and don't forget to look at used ones a couple years old.
Enjoy your search..

With all the Winnebago fans I did a search, and guess what - Wife likes them too. Not enough to camp mind you, but she said that she could use for daytrips. Spousal approval is still important.

Going to look at a couple local before widening the search area, anyway they are all Class A - so I will let this thread go and jump to the A forum.

Thanks everyone!
Bearhawk (n): A Plansbuilt Amature Aircraft. An expensive hobby that was replaced by 2007 29FBS Jayco Jayflight G2 & 2008 F350 Crew with 6.4L Diesel
At least this adventure flew off the drawing board and running out of fuel is not as dangerous! :B

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2004 Winnebago Itasca Spirit 29B. It has two slides (dining and queen bedroom), a ton of storage space and sleeps all four of us with room to spare. It has the over cab bed and foldout couch. With slide outs deployed you can go bowling down the aisle! It's on the Ford E-450 with the V-10 which runs great with about 8+-MPG. We've had ours since new and it has about 44K miles currently. We've been all over the USA and part of Canada in it. If you want room to spare then this is the one to look for.

Kidsgone
Explorer
Explorer
I second the Winnebago!! We have owned a couple other brands and wish we started with WInnebago! Alot less problems for sure. Good time to buy at the end of a year...closeouts! Look at the Winnebago Access, they are very nice and don't forget to look at used ones a couple years old.
Enjoy your search..

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Bearhawk wrote:

Thanks for V10 info, many I see have the Ford 460 motor.

I believe it was the 1997 model year that Ford introduced the V10s to their E series vans. Of course there are a number of 1997 model year motor homes (perhaps even some 98's) that are on the 96 or older chassis.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

Bearhawk
Explorer
Explorer
eabc5454 wrote:
Your wish list:
1) Queen Rear island bed - I like the nightstand idea and it is what I am used to.
2) Bunk over the cab - my youngest daughter will still be my fishing buddy for a year or two.
4) Onboard Generator - to run the air and so I don't have to run my champion
6) Awning

That was pretty much our list, plus a few other things that were important to us. We went shopping...and have the rig in my signature. It's called an A/C Evolution, or ACE. We've had it out 57 nights so far this year, with another 25 or so planned through the end of the year. We know we bought an entry level rig, but we love it and we've had a great summer.

Whatever you choose, happy trails!

Looks like a winner for sure, but realistically I won't use it enough to make that investment worth it.

Bearhawk
Explorer
Explorer
Mich F wrote:
With something as small as you're talking, unless you have a rear window,back up camera or adequate mirrors you'll be jackknifing before you know what the trailer is doing.
You'll have plenty of weight on that rear axle, it's not like a pick up truck.:B

I hear you on the jackknifing, being used to pulling a 30' trailer I had some fun moments backing up the little boat. Good to know about the weight - confirms my thoughts.

Thanks for V10 info, many I see have the Ford 460 motor.

eabc5454
Explorer
Explorer
Your wish list:
4) Onboard Generator - to run the air and so I don't have to run my champion
6) Awning

That was pretty much our list, plus a few other things that were important to us. We went shopping...and have the rig in my signature. It's called an A/C Evolution, or ACE. We've had it out 57 nights so far this year, with another 25 or so planned through the end of the year. We know we bought an entry level rig, but we love it and we've had a great summer.

Whatever you choose, happy trails!
2014 Thor Motor Coach ACE 30.1 (The Mothership)
2013 Honda CR-V (The Pod)

Mich_F
Explorer
Explorer
Bearhawk wrote:
I have noticed that some older coaches with what seem to be reasonable mileage have replaced or rebuilt the engines. Is this common or just bad luck?

How are these units for launching your boat? my trailer and boat are really light (14' jon and triton trailer) all of 500lbs with motor.

Do the tires slip or do you have enough weight?

As far as towing goes you'll be fine. My 22'er towed a couple of different 18' center consoles and a 20' center console. This was a 1995 Chevy 5.7L engine and it was just barely adequate. My 1997 24'er with a Ford V10 has towed a 20' as well as a heavy 25'er and it has done great.
With something as small as you're talking, unless you have a rear window,back up camera or adequate mirrors you'll be jackknifing before you know what the trailer is doing.
You'll have plenty of weight on that rear axle, it's not like a pick up truck.:B
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K Class C
2016 Mazda CX5 on Acme tow dolly- 4 trips ~ 5,800 mi
Now 2017 RWD F150 with a drive shaft disconnect

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even considering an occasional guest, I would stay away from the large cab-over bed and stick with a B+ concept. You'll appreciate the aerodynamics and much reduced rain water trouble/damage. Of coarse there are exceptions to water damage concerns, but the rule says otherwise. I would get a rig with 3rd-person sleeping accomodations via a couch or dinette conversion. I do like the idea of a rear walk around queen bed, especially like the older days, done without a slideout.

Bearhawk
Explorer
Explorer
I have noticed that some older coaches with what seem to be reasonable mileage have replaced or rebuilt the engines. Is this common or just bad luck?

How are these units for launching your boat? my trailer and boat are really light (14' jon and triton trailer) all of 500lbs with motor.

Do the tires slip or do you have enough weight?

Bearhawk
Explorer
Explorer
Mich F wrote:
If you could get over the Queen rear island bed requirement (unfortunately that was also my wife's wish) you would give yourself a lot more vehicles to choose from. It would also let you go with a shorter unit,which can be a good thing, while still satisfying your other requirements.
Something like my 24' rear kitchen Coachmen would fit all your needs with the exception of the rear queen bed. It has the cab over bunk, a nice couch that easily turns into a bed, and the dinette also converts to a bed.

I do notice that the shorter units do have the bed on the side, and usually the bathroom on the other. My reason is pure aesthetics, and a nightstand. I know its silly.

I won't be climbing into the cab-over - that is for my 16 year old dancer that likes to fish with dad. She is way more flexible!