Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for Class A - Newbie Needs Help

saenzm
Explorer
Explorer
Team,
Looking for a little wisdom and guidance here. I am leaning towards buying a used class A. I am new to the Class A scene and don;t know much about them. Hoping I could get some nuggets from you guys.

From some research I have done, looks like Diesel Pusher is the way to go. Is that the consensus?

What else should I consider when going used besides the obvious = records? Any brands I should stay away from?

I am considering selling my house and buying an RV site and living in it. Goal is to simplify my life. So do I need to consider the age and length (park mandates)?

Thanks!
-Mark
24 REPLIES 24

saenzm
Explorer
Explorer
All great info. Exactly what I was hoping to hear. I need to change my profile as I recently sold my Class B and moved to Colorado. I will be staying on cold climates as I like to chase snow. Just learned there are restrictions at the site where I can only stay 8 months out of the year. I met a guy who lives in an RV park, but when I went to look at the park, it wasn't very nice. Old MHs, lots very close together, a mix of everything you can imagine. Wasn't very pretty. Tiger Run Resort in Breckenridge CO was the one I was considering. I have to stay somewhat near Denver.

Thanks for all the info.

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some say if driving 10,000 miles or more a year go Diesel. If less go Gas.If your gong to stay at one location for months at a time get a 5th wheel. Remember if you get an A you will need to get something to tow behind it for side trips and going to the store etc.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Mark,

If you do go over to Houston, look at Motorhome of Texas in Nacogdoches. They usually have very clean newer units. We consigned our Monaco Dynasty there back in Aug. '14.

They keep all of their units plugged in and also keep the slides in until someone is looking at it.

Your budget is going to determine diesel or gas depending on the year range that you are looking for.

Good luck.
MM.

PS. I also agree that a trailer/5th wheel would be the way to go if you are going to be stationary.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
MountainAir05 wrote:
These units need a good run once a month.

Not so. Many snowbirders let them sit for months at a time. It's also worse to let them run on the site than to take it out for a long drive.

Since you're in Texas, take a look at this site and pick out a few in your price range and floorplan for you then take a drive to Houston to check them out to get an idea of what you can get in your price range.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Diesel pushers drive the best, smoothest, quietest but most expensive. I didn't like the A gassers until I started driving them more (at work) and I'm getting to like them alot. In order of preference I would get a Newmar first followed by Tiffin. Winni and Fleetwood would be next in a tie. Thor is at the absolute bottom of my preferences (cheaply made). In the RV industry you get what you pay for - buy cheap get cheap.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
as said, park a trailer on the RV site. don't even need something to tow it with, have somebody move it in, and pay to relocate if desired.
A DP would be about at the bottom of my list of desirables.
bumpy

CLR1294
Explorer
Explorer
From one newbie to another. We just bought our first Motor home, it's a Class A gas. All the sales man told us there is basically no difference in MPG between gas and diesel. The diesel has more power for the hills and a lot bigger price tag for repair. The best thing for you to do is look at the different models to see what you would like to live in. It took us about three months to find the right model.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Get a trailer if you plan to just buy an RV site and live in the coach. You will get more, spend less, and have MUCH lower maintenance costs.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your house might be cheaper to own. These units need a good run once a month. Oil changes once a year and all the other thing that get change and break. RV are not cheap to fix if you do not do most of the work. They break just setting there just like you house does. Batteries is just one of the items that need to be looked after and replace when needed.

I sure you will get a lot of ideals here. Look at something that will stand the cold if you like the cold.

Read the first time buyers guide on the forum also

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
My opinion, I would buy one with the floor plan you like. Especially if you are going to live in it. I have never driven a diesel pusher but I am very happy with the way my gas class A drives. You will get many options on which brands to stay away from but if you aren't happy with the floor plan, you won't be happy.

Burch
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)