cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for first class a

wowens9716
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I are looking for our first class a MH. We are both retired and I'm thinking 30' with one slide. We will be traveling more than camping so will need dependable. Should I look for new or used and what is the best make and model in y'alls opinion? When is best time to buy? Thanks for any help
11 REPLIES 11

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
67Cutlass wrote:
No TOAD for 4 to 6 months? I think your going to regret that decision.

Oh we need a gallon of milk. Let's put the slide in and disconnect everything to go to the nearest store that's only 10 miles away. Oh wait, can't park our 30 foot motorhome in that parking lot...

If you like shopping at WalMart, some have height restriction where you can't drive your motorhome into. Not the norm, but they do exist.

yep, my BIL said that before he started having a toad, once he got set up at the site the wife would say, "Oh, we are out of milk/bread/etc.".
but most/all walmarts do have a rear truck entrance since that is how they get their stuff. check the site out on google earth.
bumpy

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
wowens9716 wrote:
Wife and I are looking for our first class a MH. We are both retired and I'm thinking 30' with one slide. We will be traveling more than camping so will need dependable. Should I look for new or used and what is the best make and model in y'alls opinion? When is best time to buy? Thanks for any help

The more information that you give the better the advice. Are you wanting to spend $30,000 or $230,000? You say one slide but have you ever traveled in a motorhome?

It may not be a bad idea to rent if you are not sure what you want. We rented three times before we bought our first motorhome..... a 31 ft. gas class C (one slide), and then two 38 ft. diesel class A's (first had 3 slides, the other 4 slides).

From our rental experience, we ordered a 42 ft., 4 slide diesel motorhome with a tandem axle. Your desires and experience may differ.

Good luck,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

67Cutlass
Explorer
Explorer
No TOAD for 4 to 6 months? I think your going to regret that decision.

Oh we need a gallon of milk. Let's put the slide in and disconnect everything to go to the nearest store that's only 10 miles away. Oh wait, can't park our 30 foot motorhome in that parking lot...

If you like shopping at WalMart, some have height restriction where you can't drive your motorhome into. Not the norm, but they do exist.
2012 Phaeton 40QBH
2015 Jeep Cherokee
SMI Air Force One
Retired USAF - CEVG and AFTAC
Member of Tiffin RV Network Forum

JR45
Explorer
Explorer
NO toad, good luck on that one.
JR
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series Cat C9 Samsung 197 RR
Aluminum Radiator was recently replaced with a STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf VMS 330
Toad--2011 Ford Edge Sport, Air Force One
:C

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
wowens9716 wrote:

I wish you had provided your budget.... it does make a difference. I suggest you take a look at a new Tiffin Allegro Breeze - the 28BR. It is a nice new Diesel pusher with a single slide ... in a length that might be just what you're looking for. If you want a gas engine Class A, their Allegro series also has shorter models although I don't think there are any with just one slide. Unlike many of the other manufacturers, Tiffin is long known for their customer support and service, not to mention their quality coaches. They are the largest seller of Class A motor homes in the U.S.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
In a three month trip out West, we will put almost as many miles on the toad as the MH. 4-6 months without a car... Not my idea of fun having to use the MH to go everywhere even if it is 30'.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

wowens9716
Explorer
Explorer
Will not be pulling toad. Plan to be on road 4 to 6 months a year if all goes right.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
my first cut is it must have a fiberglass roof. possibly TPO, never EPDM.
bumpy

rekoj71
Explorer
Explorer
Good news is if you are satisfied with only one slide there are many used ones to choose from in the 10ish year old category.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Used. why so short and how many day/year do you plan on using? No Diesel Pushers that short.
I learned the $$$$ way that you need to try and buy more MH than you think you need... ONE TIME!
Doubt there are any newer MHs with only one slide.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I think you should look at used for your first Class A. If you will be traveling a lot, maybe a diesel would be a good choice.
Find a floor plan that works for you.
Will you be pulling a toad?