cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking to connect with other Axis/Vegas owners

Happily_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
We are loving our 2 week old Axis. Camped in it 2 nights overloaded with all our stuff from 37 foot class A. Now that we have it home we are in the process of paring down!! Am wondering how best to handle bedding for the supersize king! Have considered using one twin and one full fitted mattress pads and sheets and making a large flat cover sheet from 2 full sized ones. Anyone have a better suggestion? Since there are only a few of us with this new coach it would be great to connect and share our experiences!
2014 Thor Axis
39 REPLIES 39

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
How is the Axis for dry camping (Wallydocking or true boondocking)?

limbery
Explorer
Explorer
Is the sofa a powered recline? and how usable would it be for a bed?...comfort and size when flat?

Happily_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
You would be upsizing living space but considerably shorter than your current tv and tt!! My husband much prefers driving it to our full sized A, but would say it's a little more involved than an SUV. Definitely doable. I have not driven it yet but plan to do so as soon as the side view cameras(which were reversed at the factory) are working correctly!With regards to the bathroom door, I thought it would be one of my least favorite features and has actually turned out to be one I really like!! When opened up across the hallway it more than doubles the size of the bathroom or it can be used closed to leave the hallway open. It does block the refrigerator when opened up but has not been an issue for us! I also like that as we did in our A we can contain a dog in the bathroom/ bedroom area, if the coach door is going to be opened. Very handy when on the road to prevent escapes!!!There is a separate pleated curtain that can be drawn across at the foot of the bed if you need to leave the bathroom closed and accessible to other occupants at night. The electric bunk looks like a part of the ceiling when not in use. It could not be down when driving or sitting in the cab seats. You are right that it is not a big deal to put up and down, but it can't be used for storage while driving! For a small coach there is a large amount of storage! There are 6 large overhead cabinets in the bedroom and 3 more over the couch. It has a full length wardrobe with 2 drawers, 2 more drawers between the beds and under bed storage on the driver's side. The kitchen area has 2 large deep drawers, 4 smaller drawers, a large cabinet above the sink, and another smaller cabinet under the sink. Outside storage is impressive too including a large pass through that holds our chaise lounges, air compressor, and plenty more stuff! Overall well-thought out coach with good use of space. It has three TVS,including a 32 inch outside. The tv over the door is easy to watch from the couch or turned drivers seat, and the bedroom tv has a built in DVD. Also like there are two tables. One goes in front of the couch and the other fits between the captain chairs. Hope this helps until you can see one for yourself!!
2014 Thor Axis

limbery
Explorer
Explorer
Oh Oh!...that sounds very encouraging Happily Retired 2.... The only difference I see here is that you downsized and I'd be upsizing... how do you find it for driving?...is it really not much of a step up from a large SUV? or is that just a bit of a stretch with the Thor marketing? I understand that the loo is very high?...I would think that might be a good thing since when one gets older some of those very low one's are not that easy to use?...I've got a similar shower stall right now in my TT and although it's not ideal, I find I can live with it ok....How's that funny door on the bathroom?...looks like a two piece folding door?...does it seal off the bath/bedroom from the rest of the cab?...is there a curtain or something between the master bed area and the bath, or could one easily add that? and...one other question...Can you leave the front overhead bed down and still drive and get in and out of the front seats still, or do you always have to raise it back up?....I suppose that wouldn't be a big deal especially since it's a powered bed...

Happily_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
You might just love its size. We sure do!! The ACE motohomes are 28 to 31 feet whereas the Axis is 25 and a half feet! It is also considerably narrower! When the queen sofa slide is out it feels pretty roomy! We were looking for something easy to manuever around town and to be able to camp in without a toad. We had 2 large dogs with us and did not feel cramped! Hope you get to see one soon! We waited months for our local dealer to get one in stock! Finally gave up and went to the Tampa show last month so we could see everything we were considering. My husband was very skeptical that he would like the Axis as much as some of the other coaches, but after seeing one it became his first choice too!!
2014 Thor Axis

limbery
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your posts on your new Axis...I've contacted our local dealer and they tell me they expect to have one in stock by the end of the month....I don't know how serious I am but I really like the idea of a much smaller A or a large SUV-type vehicle...I've seen the Ace but think it's still too big for me and I'm hoping the Axis is a bit smaller but from the pics I've seen it may still be too large for me....I'd be trading in an 18' TT (with a large slide...a Chalet Takena 1865)...the thing is I've got this thing that sits in my driveway most of the time and might end up with another larger thing that sits there most of the time...my slight justification would be that I can trade my SUV that I have to have to pull the trailer in for a small car for my regular vehicle...also, I've got a bit of a slope on my driveway which makes it way more work that it should be to hitch up. I guess if I have the class A, I'll be looking at backing it in and then driving the front tires onto some ramps to get the front high enough to be able to level...

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Happily Retired 2 wrote:
We are loving our 2 week old Axis. Camped in it 2 nights overloaded with all our stuff from 37 foot class A. Now that we have it home we are in the process of paring down!! Am wondering how best to handle bedding for the supersize king! Have considered using one twin and one full fitted mattress pads and sheets and making a large flat cover sheet from 2 full sized ones. Anyone have a better suggestion? Since there are only a few of us with this new coach it would be great to connect and share our experiences!

There are places on the Net and locally that can custom sew a mattress sheet for you. Pretty much any seamstress can do this after getting measurements.

I'm curious how you like that "A", and what problems you have encountered. It is on my fairly short list of vehicles I'm considering, just because of the size and use of space inside.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Happily Retired 2 wrote:
Effy, you are so right! Wouldn't it be fantastic if manufacturers contracted with a bedding company to offer a matching set of bedding available for purchase on their models with unusual bed sizes?!! The Vegas/Axis brochure and Thor website refer to a bedspread and shams as standard on this coach. However, after looking for ours and the sales rep telling me he would send me one, the Thor rep tells me they changed their minds about having a bedspread for this model! Guess they realized it would be too challenging since the twins convert to a king!!
How are you enjoying your Ace?

That's funny. LOVE the Ace. Love it. I so enjoy this coach and frankly despite looking at higher end units or other brands I can't think of a thing I would want different. Very happy with it and pleased with Thor as well. I know they have their issues - what manufacturer doesn't but they have stood behind it.
2013 ACE 29.2

Happily_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Effy, you are so right! Wouldn't it be fantastic if manufacturers contracted with a bedding company to offer a matching set of bedding available for purchase on their models with unusual bed sizes?!! The Vegas/Axis brochure and Thor website refer to a bedspread and shams as standard on this coach. However, after looking for ours and the sales rep telling me he would send me one, the Thor rep tells me they changed their minds about having a bedspread for this model! Guess they realized it would be too challenging since the twins convert to a king!!
How are you enjoying your Ace?
2014 Thor Axis

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Glad you are liking it. Was curious how the new models would be recieved. It's a peeve of mine too, despite the creative housing solutions they offer in MH's there is not much consideration to available products like bedding due to the unique sizes of some of the beds.
2013 ACE 29.2