Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of power

Chool_Adventure
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I have a 1993 cobra passport.ford e350
Yesterday power just shut off.
Generator works, if I connect external power from my house everything works but when I try to work off the generator no power.
I checked the fuses and breakers but couldn't find anything.
Any advice before paying to have a professional look at it?
7 REPLIES 7

marty1300
Explorer
Explorer
I just had a similar issue. I had wiring from my generator go to a junction box, then from junction box to the shore cord/plug area. In this junction the stranded wires were joined to the solid wire going to rear of rv. Had some wires in there burned up. Trace the wiring from generator to where the shore cord is.
Marty

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Chool Adventures wrote:

I will check the generator breakers again.

Don't just look at the breakers. Cycle them off and back on.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
In the hatch where the shore power cord is stored is where the genset receptacle is located in your vintage of rigs.

The older style motor homes (which yours is) usually had a plug (female receptacle) in one of the storage bays. Probably the bay where the power cord enters the motor home. When you plug into shore power, the plug goes to the receptacle on the pedestal. When you need the generator, the plug goes into the receptacle in the storage bay. If you don't plug the cord into the receptacle, the generator will run but will not connect (power up) to the motor home.

Look in your electric bay or one of the others see if you can find something like this

Plug your shore cord into it to power the RV from the generator
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
In the hatch where the shore power cord is stored is where the genset receptacle is located in your vintage of rigs.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Chool_Adventure
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the replies.
I will check the generator breakers again.
The cable is connected to the rv, not directly to the generator but ill take another look. I bought it a week ago so still figuring it out.

SJ-Chris
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes it is likely the breaker on the generator itself. It is a common issue. Usually looks like a toggle switch.

Also, many RVs do not have an automatic transfer switch and you switch power sources (ie. Generator vs home outlet) by physically plugging in your RV power cord to either the generator outlet (usually in the same compartment as the cord itself) or another power source (ie. a home outlet, or the campsite power stand). When running your RV off the generator, that cord must be plugged into the generator outlet.

Hope that helps.
Chris
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Did you check circuit breaker on genset?
Make and model of genset?
Do you have an automatic transfer switch or do you have to plug shore power cord into genset receptacle?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker