cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

loss of ride height , drivers side , 99 american eagle 40evs

acro540
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, 1st ever motor home and new to forum. I just purchased a 99 eagle and on the trip from Ohio to NC I encountered a rough stretch of I77 south in WV. All was well and then the left side drooped and the handling went away. I stopped at the next rest area and dropped all the air for around 20 minutes. I aired it up again and the left side came about half way up and I came on home with a drooping left side.It drove okay and the ride did improve. ? rhcv or Air springs?
11 REPLIES 11

jtfcons
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Mine was a loose bolt. Road debris can easily bend/break the parts.

You will also need the ride height specifications and adjustment procedure. I made a wooden caliber for the front and back and left them in the MH.

Yep, PVC pipe cut to correct lengths here.
John & Sharon, 2 Daughters, 2 Sons-in-law, 5 GK, 1GGK
Rat Terriers (Twiggy, Annie)
1997 HR Imp., 38CDS, 1 Slide
325 Cummins C8.3Mech., MD3060, EBw/Coast.Sw.,
Toad-2003 GMC Envoy 4X4, Excallibar TB, Pressure Pro TPMS, Henderson Mot. Ctrl. Units

FormerBoater
Explorer
Explorer
Ride height control rods are industry standard and readily available.

Ride height specs are just a phone call to Spartan.

Make them an item that you carry as a spare. I have 3 aboard at all times (and have not had to use them as a result LOL).
Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine was a loose bolt. Road debris can easily bend/break the parts.

You will also need the ride height specifications and adjustment procedure. I made a wooden caliber for the front and back and left them in the MH.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

jtfcons
Explorer
Explorer
The linkage includes a clamp mechanism that could simply have worked its way loose, so a close look first before getting new parts would be wise. The connection is meant to move and is the means for adjusting the ride height.
John & Sharon, 2 Daughters, 2 Sons-in-law, 5 GK, 1GGK
Rat Terriers (Twiggy, Annie)
1997 HR Imp., 38CDS, 1 Slide
325 Cummins C8.3Mech., MD3060, EBw/Coast.Sw.,
Toad-2003 GMC Envoy 4X4, Excallibar TB, Pressure Pro TPMS, Henderson Mot. Ctrl. Units

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
acro540 wrote:
Thanks for the reply Glenn,I have a friend who is the shop foreman for a local icc carrier here and he said I could cross his pit and look it over. So could the rough road have caused this and are the rods easily sourced ?

It is pretty straight forward, you should be able to bend it straight if nothing is broken

acro540
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Steven, I haven't had a chance to get under there yet but I wrote down the the # you posted and will check my NAPA store today. THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THE FAST REPLIES AND INFO. Robert E

StevenH
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at a Haldex linkage repair kit RN10JC. This worked on my coach available from NAPA and other sources. Common part on many motor homes.

Good luck
97 Beaver Patriot 40'
3126 CAT, Allison 3060
Aqua Hot

acro540
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the advice Lou I will definitly be careful.

acro540
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply Glenn,I have a friend who is the shop foreman for a local icc carrier here and he said I could cross his pit and look it over. So could the rough road have caused this and are the rods easily sourced ?

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
"Be careful when playing with it as you do not want to drop the bus on yourself"

Please pay particular attention to that advice, there usually isn't sufficient space for a body under a MOHO with the air bags deflated. Ensure you use properly rated jacks or blocks under the frame. Good luck.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

GlennLever
Explorer
Explorer
acro540 wrote:
Hello all, 1st ever motor home and new to forum. I just purchased a 99 eagle and on the trip from Ohio to NC I encountered a rough stretch of I77 south in WV. All was well and then the left side drooped and the handling went away. I stopped at the next rest area and dropped all the air for around 20 minutes. I aired it up again and the left side came about half way up and I came on home with a drooping left side.It drove okay and the ride did improve. ? rhcv or Air springs?

I have a dream (97) there are two ride height sensors on the front axle.

Sounds like the rod the runs between the sensor and the axle is bent or disconnected.

Be careful when playing with it as you do not want to drop the bus on yourself