cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LP gas stove and fridge not working

Tannerwilliams
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1989 Ford jamboree rallye. The propane stove has recently stopped working and I was wondering where I should start trouble shooting? I can smell propane when I turn the propane in by the take, but it doesn't seem to make it to the stove. I have waited about 30 min before just in case there was air in the lines.
10 REPLIES 10

Tannerwilliams
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the help!

4x4van
Explorer III
Explorer III
My '88 Jamboree had an LPG detector at floor level that was hooked up to a solenoid valve at the tank. If the LPG detector was turned off, or if it triggered, it would shut the valve off and no gas would flow.

However, if you can smell gas at the tank, you've got other issues as well.
We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R, '12 Husky TE310, '20 CanAm X3 X rs Turbo RR
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
My Jamboree of the same year had a solenoid shut off at the tank. I can't remember exactly how it worked but it could and did shut the propane off at times. I think that may be your problem. Wish I could remember how it worked.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
X2

LEN

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
I think the likely culprit is the regulator.
The smell and the lack of flow are both symptoms of a failed regulator.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
I would check the pressure as stated above. If that is bad I would suspect the regulator. If the regulator is bad you could be getting a propane smell from it also. If it is the original then it probably went bad.

Also as suggested you could have oil in the line. Oil and propane do get along very well together.

MH tanks do not have the OPD valves in them and they were not around in 1989 time era.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe an oil trap in the lines servicing the stove and fridge. etc

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
On my TT if you opened the tank quickly it simulated a gas leak and the new style lines would shut off the flow through the line. Not sure if this applies but turn off tank, remove line to relieve pressure and once line is back on tank open slowly. Maybe there are spider webs in the lines, use compressed air.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
# 1 you should never smell the propane by the tank, you got a leak, at the fittings or your reg is bad and leaking.that rv is up in years a new reg would not hurt,

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make a U-manonmeter. Take a burner off one jet and check the pressure there at 11"WC. If it isn't that, fix it.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.