cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LP Onan Generator

CarlGeo
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Onan LP generator connected to use liquid fuel. I am interested in it to run of vapor because of the possibility of the regulator becoming gummed up with the wax in the liquid LP.
Has anyone done this change over, and if so how difficult is it to do. Also, when making this change, does the existing regulator stay in place and the vapor fuel just flows thru it and on to the generator carb.?
5 REPLIES 5

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
cwdavis wrote:
We also have a LP Onan generator & had not heard of this problem. In looking into the situation it seems that California allows the sale of HD-10 LP, which is a lower grade of fuel than HD-5 that is sold here in NC and the rest of the country. So, my questions are, 1) is this correct, and 2) if so, is the gumming problem due to HD-10, and restricted to California, or is HD-5 also an issue?

The gumming problem has been around for 20 years and is all over the USA. This "gumming" is one reason we do NOT option the LP Genset if offered and we have NOT since we stopped in 1999. Of course, Diesel Gensets have dropped a lot in price since the mid 90's. That price difference is one reason OEM's offered 2 Gensets. 1 with LP and the lot more expensive Diesel. Even Travel Trailer LP systems can "gum" up. Especially if the LP lines have a LOOP in them. Doug

cwdavis
Explorer
Explorer
We also have a LP Onan generator & had not heard of this problem. In looking into the situation it seems that California allows the sale of HD-10 LP, which is a lower grade of fuel than HD-5 that is sold here in NC and the rest of the country. So, my questions are, 1) is this correct, and 2) if so, is the gumming problem due to HD-10, and restricted to California, or is HD-5 also an issue?
Bill & Ann Davis
1995 36' CC Intrigue
WHTAL!FE

Berner2
Explorer
Explorer
I converted mine on a previous MH because it gummed up running on the liquid side. The repair was not cheap. It was an easy swap like Wolfe said and if I'm not mistaken it is recommended by Onan.

Worked perfectly!!

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Easy conversion:

Run generator with liquid line shut off at tank to deplete propane in the line.

With the vapor port closed, install a "T" between the tank and house regulator.

Remove generator line from liquid port and connect to "T" (other parts of T to regulator and POL to tank).

Install cap on liquid port.

You are done! Everything at generator end remains the same. High pressure vapor is just fine.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
my lp gen set is 10yrs old and it has never failed to start and run great, might wanna rethink your plans.