cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Magic Chef Residential Refrigerators

roachcoach
Explorer
Explorer
Recently installed a Magic Chef residential refrigerator and I would like to know what the procedure would be if any on turning the generator on or off while running the inverter with the refrigerator. Also while on shore power is there something you have to be aware of?
Richard & Rachel
2006 Damon Astoria Diesel Pusher
2004 Jeep Liberty
27 REPLIES 27

vector
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a 10CF Magic Chef refrigerator with minimal difficulty and have been very pleased with its performance and efficiency. I recently added a Kisae 1000W PSW unit, an automatic transfer switch, and a remote switch to control the inverter. The inverter feeds to a dedicated circuit, and the transfer switch controls which energy source runs the refrigerator. The inverter is turned on just prior to disconnecting shore power (the default), and as soon as I pull the plug the switch immediately transfers the energy source to the inverter. It's great going down the highway on a warm summer day with the refrigerator keeping a constant 37F temperature. I'd like to somehow control the frequency of the defrost cycle as it hardly ever gets a frost buildup. Any ideas?
2001 GB Pursuit 3512DS
Ford F53 V-10
Banks Powerpack
Trans Command
2002 Honda CR-V AWD

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
roachcoach wrote:
Recently installed a Magic Chef residential refrigerator and I would like to know what the procedure would be if any on turning the generator on or off while running the inverter with the refrigerator. Also while on shore power is there something you have to be aware of?

So from your original question, now that we have established that you have an upgraded inverter and batteries but the fridge is not on an inverter circuit - I would say...

There are no special precautions you need for the generator switchover from short power if you have the OEM generator. The generator has it's own self check and stabilization delay and won't provide power until its ready and suitable.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
roachcoach wrote:
No, the Magic Chef fridge does not run on the inverter only on shorepower or the generaptor.

OK, I am now completely lost. This was your OP:

Your concern appears to be about the fridge and the inverter but the fridge is not connected to the inverter so will not have any power while driving unless you run your generator.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

roachcoach
Explorer
Explorer
No, the Magic Chef fridge does not run on the inverter only on shorepower or the generaptor.
Richard & Rachel
2004 Jeep Liberty

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
roachcoach wrote:
Bill when we bought the Astoria motorhome it was wired with just the entertainment items hooked to the inverter. When the original inverter went out we just had it replaced like it was originally installed. So in answering your question the refrigerator has its own dedicated outlet and will run when on shore power and when the generator is on.

Sorry, I remain confused. You say the original inverter only powered the entertainment center, you replaced it like it was originally installed but now it also powers the fridge. Can you help me here?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
For some reason I though your inverter was only 1220 watts, but now the Bill pointed out it is 2,000, I wouldn't hesitate to put that dedicated circuit for the fridge over to the inverter side. That would sure make it easier on you, sans the risks pointed out by the fridge manufacturer.

roachcoach
Explorer
Explorer
Bill when we bought the Astoria motorhome it was wired with just the entertainment items hooked to the inverter. When the original inverter went out we just had it replaced like it was originally installed. So in answering your question the refrigerator has its own dedicated outlet and will run when on shore power and when the generator is on.
Richard & Rachel
2004 Jeep Liberty

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dup.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Kisae 1220 is an PSW Inverter only. It's 2000W so it is more than enough to power the fridge and the other entertainment components mentioned.
Input: 12 VDC
Output voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz
Continuous Power: 2000 W (16.6 A)
Surge Power: 4000 W (33.3 A)
Output waveform: Pure sine wave
Dimensions: 9.5 x 16.5 x 4.5 in (240 x 420 x 115 mm)
Inverter weight: 12.0 lbs (5.5 Kg)

I have a Kisae brand inverter/charger and it is a very good and dependable product.
It appears someone set this up with dedicated circuits for the items listed above. If that's true Roachcoach, then this item would not work if you turn off the inverter and have the coach plugged into shore power or you are running the generator. Is that the way it is setup?

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Most cautions against powering residential refrigerators from inverters really refers to MSW (Modified Sine Wave) inverters. PSW (Pure Sine Wave) inverters should not pose a problem.

To get better feedback it would REALLY help if you would post more info on your electrical system instead of having us guess and speculate.

What powers your refrigerator now?

What converter or inverter/charged is built into the coach (not counting the one being discussed here)? What is its amp capacity?

How much dry camping do you do?
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
The manual also says:

"In moving vehicle. This unit is not designed to be installed in an RV or used with an inverter. This unit is intended for household use only."

So if you already broke rule number one, rule number 2 won't matter much ๐Ÿ™‚

However, that may not be enough inverter to do the fridge and the other things you have on it.

roachcoach
Explorer
Explorer
It is not plugged into the inverter it has its own dedicated outlet and the reason I mentioned it is that I'm considering using it with the inverter but im kinda hesitant as the manual says not to use it with an inverter.
Richard & Rachel
2004 Jeep Liberty

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I'm confused now - is the fridge plugged into an outlet that is also on the inverter? If not, why did you even mention the inverter

roachcoach wrote:

roachcoach
Explorer
Explorer
Just want to tell you that I don't have the refrigerator plugged into the inverter. I have a small freezer that I've had for a couple of years that is on shore power or while traveling will use the generator occasionally just to keep everything frozen. The inverter is used for the entertainment part of the rv which consists of 2 tv's 45" and 32", 2 satellite DVR receivers , traveler antenna setup and 1 ups box in front and one in BR.
Richard & Rachel
2004 Jeep Liberty