cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Magik's Class A

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
I got my Class C out of storage 2 weeks ago then bought a 25' Class A. It is a 1993 Damon Challenger and has a fuel injected 454 Chevy engine with overdrive transmission. We went to Willow River State Park in Hudson, WI with friends for our maiden voyage. Everything went well. We put on 350 miles for the test run. It tachs 2100 at 69 mph. Here is a picture of it next to the other one. It is only 2 feet longer.

94 REPLIES 94

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
I have taken 4 trips so far this year totaling 1000 miles. I had to change the starter motor on my generator. I did it without removing the generator but it took hours to do. In order to get the starter access panel off, I had remove the top engine shroud. In order to get the engine shroud off, I had to remove the screen shroud and the generator shroud because the engine shroud had bolts hidden under the other two shrouds. There was only 2 inches of clearance to work with so my arms were all scratched up by the time I was done. I cut an inch off the starter access panel so next time only 4 bolts need to be removed to access the starter. I also had to adjust the alternator belt but that was easy compared to the starter motor.

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
The last couple of days I have been getting ready for winter. I installed an antifreeze bypass valve then pumped antifreeze through the water system. I charged the batteries and aired up all the tires. Tomorrow it goes into storage. It is hauling a 1971 Starcraft I started restoring this year.

D_J_Wade
Explorer
Explorer
Magik235 thanks for all the posts of your maintenance and upgrades on your motorhome. We just purchased our first class a, a 97' Hurricane 30q and love it. It's nice to come across threads that are truly helpful and that remind everybody that maintenance is very important. Keep us all posted on your daily doings of your motorhome and I'll keep reading them.

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
I removed rust, cleaned and painted my generator compartment and the outside of my 3 storage compartments.

Itasca55
Explorer
Explorer
magik235 wrote:
Last week I washed the RV, replaced the passenger side front air bag then took it for a 400 mile trip.

Your doing basicly same thing I'm doing to mine. Your getting alot more miles. ?? I'm jealous. Anyway I'm getting about same mileage.
Mines 454 4:88 rearend with overdrive. 9.3 mpg pulling golf cart and scooter on a trailer 60-70 mph the rearend you have must be the 4:88 gears. I installed supersteer springs in front 3900lb springs . drives awesome now and got rid of air boots. It's big improvement . tires I got were handkook f19 7.50x16 $149 G's they give a great ride and good even in mud I was surprised. Next years project will be roof coating and reseal vents and everything. This year I got the generator working great and belts replaced. Ooo and next year I also need to fix furance and install 5000lb hitch. ?? for toad. Reading your posts was like hey he's got same project . ??

Itasca55

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
Last week I washed the RV, replaced the passenger side front air bag then took it for a 400 mile trip.

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
Having the wife hold the windshield in place saved it. In Wichita, we had a glass service repair the damage. They completely removed the windshield then used adhesive to reseal it. We had them do the drivers side as well as a precaution. The repairs cost $350. Originally there was no adhesive just the locking seal around the windshields.

cj7365
Explorer
Explorer
magik235 wrote:
We just got back from Arizona. We put on 4300 total miles. We battled a large storm front on the way down. There was wind and rain through Minnesota, Iowa and part of Kansas. Then the rain stopped and the wind got stronger. The hammering wind popped loose the windshield 70 miles from Wichita. My wife had to hold it in place using a large plastic water bottle and the dog's leash. She wanted to stop for the night in El Dorado but I convinced her we had to make it to Wichita. That night they had tornados in El Dorado. After that, there were no storms until Iowa on the way back. We had heavy rain, wind and hail. The RV ran good and the windshield was the only problem we had.

What was the final resolution to your windshield? you are a real motivator when it come to maintenance, looks like its paying off as well.

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
You have really done some neat stuff in bringing your motorhome to life. Great job. I am thinking you live in the Wausau area and are making use of all the fun places to go in WI and Michigan.

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
Loaded it for the first trip of the season. We leave tomorrow for a 350 mile round trip.

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
Over the weekend, I mounted a rear view camera, aired up all the tires and air bags, reorganized my storage compartments, ran the refrigerator on gas and electric, then ran the air conditioner and furnace.

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
I got it out of storage today and exercised the generator for 30 minutes. Tomorrow I will start working on it.

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered a new GPS. I got a Garmin nรผviยฎ 2798LMT with Backup Camera.

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
I checked to see if the door to the storage building was plowed in with snow but it is still accessible.

magik235
Explorer
Explorer
I sold the boat to focus on the RV. There is not enough time to do everything. I gave the Class C to my brother.