cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Manufacturers or Models for full-timing.

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been researching Class A's for when I retire to full time in. People have said that there are some built for full timing, but then don't say which ones. So, are there manufacturers or models that are built more full timing rather than just vacationing in? If, so please let me know. I want gas rather than a DP. I am not planning on traveling that much. Will be buying a used one.

It is just myself so I am thinking around a 35' would be fine for me. I live in Florida and plan on staying there, moving maybe every 3 months or so. Any recommendations?
51 REPLIES 51

prism
Explorer
Explorer
ThunderingQuiet wrote:
prism wrote:
Coachman especially Diesel pushers are entry level at best

That is true. But what's wrong with entry level?

We had our Cross Country for ten years. In that time we never had any major issues with the coach. I've read horror stories on new motor homes costing in the hundres of thousands dollars that are nothing but major problem after major problem.

Was ours trouble free? No, but we never had to replace anything in the interior. No roof leaks, no delamination, no plumbing leaks, nothing fell apart, nothing fell off, slides always worked.

We did trade, but it wasn't because of problems. It was for more storage space and more interior room.

When the dealer actually saw our trade he said he had never seen a ten year old motor home in such good shape. In fact our Cross Country sold within three days.

The only major problem was with the Cummins engine. We replaced the turbo at 65,000 miles. Not a Coachmen problem.

I just hope our 2012 Phaeton holds up as well as our Cross Country did.

actually I was refering to Late late models.That old CC was a pretty reliable coach as u weel know after owning one

RVER
Explorer
Explorer
Phaeton is a great unit, should last 20 or more years!!!!
2003 Newmar Mountain Aire Vortec engine 35ft
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS On site at campground as a seasonal
Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers

67Cutlass
Explorer
Explorer
prism wrote:

That is true. But what's wrong with entry level?

We had our Cross Country for ten years. In that time we never had any major issues with the coach. I've read horror stories on new motor homes costing in the hundres of thousands dollars that are nothing but major problem after major problem.

Was ours trouble free? No, but we never had to replace anything in the interior. No roof leaks, no delamination, no plumbing leaks, nothing fell apart, nothing fell off, slides always worked.

We did trade, but it wasn't because of problems. It was for more storage space and more interior room.

When the dealer actually saw our trade he said he had never seen a ten year old motor home in such good shape. In fact our Cross Country sold within three days.

The only major problem was with the Cummins engine. We replaced the turbo at 65,000 miles. Not a Coachmen problem.

I just hope our 2012 Phaeton holds up as well as our Cross Country did.
2012 Phaeton 40QBH
2015 Jeep Cherokee
SMI Air Force One
Retired USAF - CEVG and AFTAC
Member of Tiffin RV Network Forum

prism
Explorer
Explorer
escottd wrote:
ThunderingQuiet wrote:
escottd wrote:
There are no manufacturers that I am aware of that do not honor their warranties because you are a full timer.

There is at least one that I am personally aware of - Coachmen. On the Cross Country we owned the warranty explicitly stated that if the motorhome was lived in full time the warranty was void. Now how they would prove that I'm not sure.

Wow, remind me never to by a Coachman..

escottd
Explorer
Explorer
ThunderingQuiet wrote:
escottd wrote:
There are no manufacturers that I am aware of that do not honor their warranties because you are a full timer.

There is at least one that I am personally aware of - Coachmen. On the Cross Country we owned the warranty explicitly stated that if the motorhome was lived in full time the warranty was void. Now how they would prove that I'm not sure.

Wow, remind me never to by a Coachman..

67Cutlass
Explorer
Explorer
escottd wrote:

2012 Phaeton 40QBH
2015 Jeep Cherokee
SMI Air Force One

escottd
Explorer
Explorer
There are no manufacturers that I am aware of that do not honor their warranties because you are a full timer. However, keep in mind that your insurance company does care whether you are full time or part time. Make sure they know. I agree with sdianel as far as a list. What you want to keep in mind is quality of construction, and if you heading north, insulation factor. From experience, we had a 2004 Gulfstream when we started full-timing in New England. We spent two weeks in November 2008 before we realized it wasn't going to cut it. We bought a 2009 Monaco Monarch at Christmas and the different was night and day. Comfortable, minimal drafts in the cold weather. We lived full time in New England for 3 years, and it still looks like new.

67Cutlass
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
gerrym51 wrote:
full timer needs washer/dryer

Not.....

Unless you want to spend lots of time and money in a place you are not familiar with.
2012 Phaeton 40QBH
2015 Jeep Cherokee
SMI Air Force One

prism
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
gerrym51 wrote:

Not.....

absolute a Must have no if ands or buts

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
gerrym51 wrote:

Not.....
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

gerrym51
Explorer II
Explorer II

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
In 4 years (2018) if you want a 5-10 yr RV then you'll be looking at a 2008 to 2013 model so start looking at those now to see what you want to zero in on.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

rollindownthero
Explorer II
Explorer II
I never mentioned what my budget was. I am looking to buy used in about 3 or 4 years. Currently looking to spend no more than 50K. That may go up a little if I'm not finding what I want.

67Cutlass
Explorer
Explorer
prism wrote:

7 years is not written in stone at all even if you personally think it is and this guys spending 11K here NOT 111K or 211K like your making it sound????

Are you referring to the OP about the 11k? I don't think he ever mentioned a figure on what he wants to spend.:h
2012 Phaeton 40QBH
2015 Jeep Cherokee
SMI Air Force One