Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Michelin LTX Recall BLOWOUT!!!

chaeworld
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,
I am new to forum and new to RVing.

I bought a almost mint 2003 Winniebago Minnie 29B last September.
It basically sit up for several years so we have had to do work on the RV from sitting up parked but nothing major.
One thing I was not worried about was the tires they had been changed in 2011.They were Michelin LTX M/S LT225/75/R16.No dry rot cracks separation anything had check several times even taken off the RV,all okay.
Well weekend before last The wife and I were going to take a get out of town over night trip 100 miles from home. Well we got 45 miles out of town and the right inside rear tire blew. The blown tire caught the exhaust pipe threw it on top of the tires and pushed the exhaust and muffler against the drive shaft which popped one of the keepers on the rear u-joint, broke the fiberglass and trim on the wheel well and bent a gas line going to the furnace.
I first thought it was bad luck and Michelin was now making bad tires so last week I started looking for new tires and found out the LTX was a recall.
Discount Tire is replacing them with XPS Rib since LTX is on backorder. so that's a good thing...Better tire.
My next question to every one has anyone had experience with Michelin Customer Service? Michelin is having us fax over the road service call and the U-joint replacement. Michelin is needing 2 quotes on everything else and has assigned a adjuster for our warranty issue.
I am considering keeping the blown tire and not giving it to Michelin yet until everything is resolved.

Has anyone had these issues also and if so do you have advice?

Chae
37 REPLIES 37

chaeworld
Explorer
Explorer
Michelin reimbursed me for my tires with XPS Ribs. They reimbursed me for the initial service call the body damage to the wheel well area,exhaust and storage box they would not pay. So I had to file on my insurance and got repaired.
Michelin did tell me they had no record that the tires were regeristered by the person I bought the RV from.
Any excuse Michelin should have owed up. IMO.
My days of buying Michelin tires are over with. When I need to change tires on the RV it will be Bridgestone or Firestone. My E250 work van and my Nissan has Bridgestone. The wife's Mercury has Michelins now it's next set will be Bridgestone or Cooper.
I am a little too young for Vietnam but I read about the Michelin Rubber Plantation. After reading about the plantation pre,during and post Vietnam war and the problems I had with Michelin has made me decide that my hard working money will not go to Michelin anymore.

Chae

Bea_PA
Explorer
Explorer
Noted some one asked about website for recall. We just bought a 2012 unit with all 2014 tires on it, must have been recalled. Here is website.

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/help/safety-recalls/ltx.html
Bea PA
Down sized Winnebago 2012 24V Class C
2003 Gold Wing 1800 recently triked (Big Red)

chaeworld
Explorer
Explorer
Oops,

chaeworld
Explorer
Explorer
Update on my blowout.
Michelin set us a check for the roadside service call, Have not cashed the check yet.
The wife called our claim agent with Michelin. He told her they have not even checked the tires in yet. With the massive amount of tires they have received from this recall it may be up to 6 months before they settle up on the damages.
I don't think they are blowing smoke.

Wait and see.

Chae

chaeworld
Explorer
Explorer
I am glad they exchanged mine for the XPS RIB.
As far winter weather goes I don't see me driving north during the winter, not that where I live doesn't get ice and snow. Sometimes.
Most of any RVing for me will be in winter. With my job busy season is now through mid September.
If I get stuck in a ice storm while I am out with my motorhome I will park it. I hope.

Chae

rmmpe
Explorer
Explorer
I just had the 7 recalled LT225/75R16 (LRE) speed rated R (106 MPH) tires replaced with Michelin XPS Rib 225/75R16 (LRE) speed rated Q tires (date code 4713), which were recommended by the 2 Michelin Consumer relations people I spoke with. However, per the Michelin web site, the XPS Ribs are shown as not recommended for use on our E450 Phoenix. I suspect it's because of the speed rating only.

After replacement and a 46 mile trip back to my home, a preliminary report would be they seem ride a little better and track at least as good as the LT225/75R16 (LRE) tires they replaced.

The XPS Rib tires are rated as summer tires but as we've never (and I don't expect to) been in mud or snow, they should serve us well.

As of 3 days ago, the LT 225/75R16 M/S and LTX 225/75R16 M/S2 tires are back ordered for at least 8 weeks. Consequently, Michelin will pay for replacing the recalled LT 225/75R16 (LRE) tires with any competitor's tire as long as they have an LT rating; be load range E, have a minimum speed rating of R and be replaced by a Michelin dealer.

Michelin's recommendation is to replace the recalled tires with either Uniroyal Laredo HD/H LT225/75R16/E 115S or B. F. Goodrich Commercial T/A LT225/75R16/E 115Q All Season tires (both companies are owned by Michelin).
Bob (Squidly Down Under) & Peg
"In God we trust"
2013 Ford Focus pushing a 2011 Phoenix Cruiser 2552S
Carry on, regardless...............

chaeworld
Explorer
Explorer
+1

jdog
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
chaeworld wrote:
Discount Tire is replacing them with XPS Rib since LTX is on backorder. so that's a good thing...Better tire.

I don't know about the XPS being "better". However, it is a "different" tire than the new LTX M&S2.

The main purpose of the XPS Rib's steel is for more sidewall puncture and scuffing resistance on delivery vehicles that may rub against curbs a lot. For RV use, the steel in the XPS Rib's sidewalls probably will make for a rougher ride, and ... perhaps a more important negative ... the XPS has a rather smooth highway tread design.

"M&S" of course means "Mud & Snow", which IMHO is a better all around tread design for general RV use.

What I REALLY WISH was available as a super-rugged tire for Class C motorhome use is a quality Load Range G M&S tire in the 225/75/R16 or 215/85/R16 size and type. I'd use these with my stock rims at only Load Range E pressures, but travel much more at ease due to the extra plies in the Load Range G tires.

The steel in the side wall is for strength for supporting heavier loads and lessen tire roll. It stiffens the side wall of the tire. A very good thing in Motorhome tires!

chaeworld
Explorer
Explorer
I have had no problems with the tire swap out at all except for Discount Tire trying to sell me extra warranty.

tireman9

Since I have owned the RV {Sept2013} The tires were inflated properly I made sure of it. I used to drive a truck so I know the importance of properly inflated tires. The LTX did not show any signs of dryrot or cracking. I had the tires inspected as well by the mechanic I use and a tire shop I trust.
Before September 2013 I cant say how the tires were maintained. The RV for a 2003 looks new But it wasn't driven that often I put more miles on my RV in 8 months than the previous owner put on it in 4 years.

Chae

Explorer
Explorer
Bought new MICHELINS last year, drove for several thousand miles no problems, a member posted this on the BIGFOOT OWNERS WEBSITE last fall

http://www.michelin.ca/safety-recall.page

When I contacted MICHELIN they advised not driving on them, I see why now. Changed my tires this spring when preparing for new season replacement process was seamless, no problems.

Tireman9
Explorer
Explorer
chaeworld wrote:
Everyone ,

I got the exhaust fixed from the blowout $124.00 , the gas line fixed $364.00.
Michelin wants two estimates on the body dammage. One estimate was $4500.00 from a company I had a bad feeling about the second was $3400.00 from a company I trust. Also I know his wife she works at our bank. Plus he just remodeled one of Tony Stewart's motor coaches. I trust he would do the work right.
The found rubber across the back two storage bin boxes with 3 cracks where the tire remains hit. Dented my water and hot water tanks but it doesn't seem cracked. That goes along with the cracked fiberglass and destroyed fender trim.
Sending FedEx Michelin the estimates, receipts and paperwork tomorrow.
Put it in Michelin's hands and see what happens.
I could take a weekend getaway with it now. I am worried about it raining and getting moisture in the cracks.

Tireman9,
Your pics came through finally on my computer. The tire looks like the second pic the under inflated blown tire. The perplexing thing is the tire was check before I left. I understand that's what the recalled tires were doing separating the tread.

Glad you saw the pictures. Now you have a better understanding of the importance of a better description than "My tire blew out". A good inspection would be with tire off the ground and viewing the runout as seen HERE. But many simply look at the tread for wear in one part of the tire (and not 360 degrees).

Underinflation (run low flex failures) can be avoided by using TPMS which should warn of air loss due to puncture or valve leaks.
40 years experience as tire Design & Quality engineer with focus on failed tire forensics.

chaeworld
Explorer
Explorer
Everyone ,

I got the exhaust fixed from the blowout $124.00 , the gas line fixed $364.00.
Michelin wants two estimates on the body dammage. One estimate was $4500.00 from a company I had a bad feeling about the second was $3400.00 from a company I trust. Also I know his wife she works at our bank. Plus he just remodeled one of Tony Stewart's motor coaches. I trust he would do the work right.
The found rubber across the back two storage bin boxes with 3 cracks where the tire remains hit. Dented my water and hot water tanks but it doesn't seem cracked. That goes along with the cracked fiberglass and destroyed fender trim.
Sending FedEx Michelin the estimates, receipts and paperwork tomorrow.
Put it in Michelin's hands and see what happens.
I could take a weekend getaway with it now. I am worried about it raining and getting moisture in the cracks.

Tireman9,
Your pics came through finally on my computer. The tire looks like the second pic the under inflated blown tire. The perplexing thing is the tire was check before I left. I understand that's what the recalled tires were doing separating the tread.

chaeworld
Explorer
Explorer
It was LTX produced from 2010-2012. Your good.

synergy_58
Explorer
Explorer
paullac wrote:
synergy_58 wrote:
Is there a process for checking to see if my tires are under this recall?

Camper World installed 6 new Mich. LTX MS2's on my Navion last year May 2013. I now have 7000 miles on them. They sat for 7 months through the winter.

I will be leaving on several trips this spring/summer and then on a 8000 mile trip in September 2014. I want to make sure I have safe tires.

M/S tires were recalled.
M/S2 tires are the new & improved model so the speak.
So, if you have M/S2 tires - emphasis on the 2 at the end - you are fine.

Well that's good to know. I have the M/S 2's, thankfully!
[img/Users/Frank/Pictures/iPhoto Library_2/Originals/2014/Apr 2, 2014/2009_1306_Nav_BlueMoon.jpg[img]