cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

minnie winnie i found for sale

zippyphil
Explorer
Explorer
I found a 1973 minnie winnie with a Dodge 360 and 37K miles. owner claims no leaks, new brakes, clean & started with updates on the inside, outside looks a bit rough. he is asking 6K. It also has 6 new tires, cv joints and full tune up. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Phil
20 REPLIES 20

zippyphil
Explorer
Explorer
now he puts the ad up

https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/rvs/5057078835.html

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Old rigs often used 8:00x16.5 bias belted tires that are hard to find now or they may have wrong type radials installed. Redneck/amateur repairs to housebox electrical systems, water leak damage and other stuff can give you fits.
Unless you have multiple truck mechanic and RV repair skills, tools, time, workspace and help, and want to take on a lengthy and expensive hobby, try to buy a much newer rig with modern V-10 engine and engine cooling system. Get independent estimates for parts and labor for any repairs or upgrades needed before deciding to buy any used rig. A motorhome is a box truck full of appliances, roof and dash AC units, fresh water and sewage plumbing, batteries and charging circuits, leak prone roofs, and external stuff including the awning all of which are "limited life items". Not like buying a used car!!

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
mr61impala wrote:
klutchdust wrote:
Gonzo42 wrote:
Those slant 6's are bombproof. If you find one, check it out.

Slant 6, chevrolet 283 and 5 cylinder mercedes diesel. By far best engines ever made in my opinion.

I would add 300 Ford and B Series Cummins to your list.

I have seen too many 300's make it past 400k miles in delivery service to exclude it, the B series speaks for itself.

Good choices also.

mr61impala
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
Gonzo42 wrote:

Slant 6, chevrolet 283 and 5 cylinder mercedes diesel. By far best engines ever made in my opinion.

I would add 300 Ford and B Series Cummins to your list.

I have seen too many 300's make it past 400k miles in delivery service to exclude it, the B series speaks for itself.
Shopping for Travel Trailer

shooker99
Explorer
Explorer
New price when bought in 73?????????

1rickw
Explorer
Explorer
Just turn around and run, not walk away!!!
2004 Jamboree 26Q

+ great wife to travel with

:B
2012 Honda Fit towing 4 down with BrakeBuddy

zippyphil
Explorer
Explorer
well this guy is sticking to 6K and the RV still needs work. he has rednecked everything. So this will be a PASS. He says he already turned down $4500. lol

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gonzo42 wrote:

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I'd sooner have a 318 than a 360, but neither one will move that thing very well in a strong headwind. We had a 22' Winnie about 5 years earlier vintage with the 360 when I was a kid, and one time my dad couldn't get much past 50 mph driving into a fierce wind.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

zippyphil
Explorer
Explorer
agreed I WILL not pay for than 2000-2500. I don;t like it when people overprice their stuff for sale. he had also told me over the phone he re roofed it and put 3 layers on. makes me suspicious.

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
It doesn't look bad for a 73 but its way too much money. For about the same $$$, you can get something at least 20 years newer...

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd examine the frame in back of the rear axle very carefully, as there appears to be some deformation especially on the left side at the lower skirting. It may be nothing of importance, just some minor cosmetic damage, but to my eye it looks plausible that it could be a substantial structural problem as well, perhaps exacerbated by the cantilevered platform on the back.

$7K does seem steep for something that old, but maybe it would be worth that if it's in excellent condition. I guess it's really worth whatever someone is willing to pay, which for old and relatively uncommon units (or no longer common units) doesn't always have much to do with scientifically sound judgment.

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
My son just sold a 1978 larger version of that unit for $2000.00 and everything in it worked.
2014 Heartland Wildness 2775RB, 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Mega Cab

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
zippyphil wrote:
Ok thats what I was thinking also. he claims he needs $$$ for his wifes surgery. I am also in Florida and we had a ton of rain the past 2 days. I would like to see how the RV really held up. I like those older Dodge engines. I had a 319 and slant 6 back in the 80's.

thanks for the quick input. My guess is this guy will try to stick to 4K

Well, it has a disabled plate, and the back bumper looks like it was modified to carry a wheelchair-so the story about his wife's surgery could be true. I love the retro look. Check for musky odors, rodents/bugs, rust and LEAKS!