cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Mirrors in high winds

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody else have the problem of mirrors flopping in when driving head on into winds of 45 mph and going 55-60mph?

Mirrors flopped back about 7 times today. I suppose the spring or maybe even plastic bracket or something is getting worn out. Finally got home, felt like I had to fight for every mile. Checking mirrors I do not see any way to adjust them to make stronger.

Bad enough mpg was down to about 6. Really couldn't go any slower without holding up traffic or creating a hazard.

Anybody have a practical fix that will work?
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"
8 REPLIES 8

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Hank85713 wrote:
I used some plastic shims made from a plastic gallon drum and used RV goop to hold in place. Problem solved.

Sounds like good idea, will check out further on mine. Thanks

path1
Explorer
Explorer
grampachet wrote:
Where did you find a 45 mph wind on the west side? If so it sure couldn't have lasted long from what I have seen in the past 69 years I have been here.

Tried to find where wind speeds listed on some web page somewhere, but didn't find any. Yesterday on I-90 from Vantage to Cle Elum.

The Perkins at Ellensburg (exit 101 I think?) has a great big flag (holiday flag?)and it was standing straight out. Maybe the wind speed wasn't that much; don't know for sure? Unsure of exact wind speed in MPH but sure was blowing hard. Along the side of road we saw 1 awning, 1 A/C cover, 1 boat seat.

Also noticed those electric windmills at the wind farm were not turning. I think they shut them down, wife says maybe they gave them Sunday off:)

Bet people going the other way got very good MPG.

It appears that not very many people has the problem of mirrors flopping in. So it must be mine that have seen there better days?

Never had that problem before. I thought it might be common problem and someone had a good fix for them flopping in. Old style I would put in rubber washer and tighten bolts. Newer models I don't know.

DaHose
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1983 with door mounted CIPA 45000(IIRC) mirrors and I made some extensions to hang them out further.

They stay put just fine in the wind. Although I did tighten the bottom pivot, because they would shift when we close the doors.

Jose

grampachet
Explorer
Explorer
Where did you find a 45 mph wind on the west side? If so it sure couldn't have lasted long from what I have seen in the past 69 years I have been here.
2004 F-250 KIngRanch,CC,SB,SRW,4x4,V-10,3.73
2008 Montana 3000RK

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
The arms should lock into place, dont know what year or model of rv you have so it is a guess at best. If its an older model well they could have enough wear to do just what you said, if a newer model they may just be part of the cheaper newer stuff available. If you change out now may be a time to install electric ones check craigs list and ebay for replacements.

I do not nor have I ever had this as an issue on the current rv or when towing with the pickup and yes we have been in significant winds with all. I have cheap aftermarket mirrors on my DD ranger, and yes they would vibrate bad in winds from speed or just the winds by ma nature. I used some plastic shims made from a plastic gallon drum and used RV goop to hold in place. Problem solved.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
the whole arm swinging back?

Yes, the whole arm swung back, very windy but didn't see other people having problems, so thought it was my mirror that was giving problem.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you can make 60mph going into a 45mph headwind towing, that by itself is impressive.

If they are like mine where they pull out for towing, you probably just exceeded the design.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
If they are OK in normal driving, I don't know of a fix. Flopping at the end of the arm, or the whole arm swinging back?

For the first, there is usually a setscrew (beyond the plastic cap that looks like a setscrew) that can be tightened a little. If the whole arm is swinging from the base, you might try a whole new mirror assembly, but I can't guarantee that will have been made to withstand the load.

45 mph headwind + 55 mph = 100 mph. I haven't been there yet, the engine in my motorhome is not powerful enough reach that speed. I think I might need 100 HP more than I have.

Much more than 20 mph headwinds (which are pretty common on the Great Plains) I pull off and wait for the wind to die down. 55 mph into a 20 mph headwind, my C is downshifted to direct and screaming at almost 4000 rpm. That's time to quit.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B