cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mitchell class A

rwplusrw
Explorer
Explorer
I'm as green as one can be in the world on RVing. I have found a beautiful 1996 Mitchell coach and it is perfect budget wise for a newbe. I know this coach is out of business so I'm asking all the questions you can think of on if I should or shouldn't buy the coach. any input is openly welcome. If you will take a look at it. Thank you ahead of time.

http://www.rvt.com/Mitchell-Coach--1996-Alvarado-TX-ID5626129-UX50219
16 REPLIES 16

rwplusrw
Explorer
Explorer
My MAJOR problem is I live in Georgia. I really want to see this coach. To bad there are not RV inspectors like residential inspectors. I am very interested in this coach but ......

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
The interiors of some motorhomes are going back to the light colors. It looks to be a well kept coach. If it checked out mechanically, I wouldn't hesitate to buy an older coach.

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
After reviewing your coach again, I can tell you that in most every interior detail(with minor differences) that coach is a exact replica of ours! The refer has definitely been replaced with a residential unit. The leather interior looks to be in great shape other than the passenger seat. Ours also came with a combo washer/dryer which is a plus if still operational(its the more sought after vented unit)... the bathroom and shower looks great too and the shower size is the same large area that we have. All I can say is Wow.....my wife just said, maybe we should buy another one after looking at the info and pictures!!!!
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
That price seems to be Very Good....if the interior looks anything like the exterior, can't see how you could go wrong providing the engine/trans are still going strong. Frankly, I find the build quality and attention to detail in the Vogue excellent...in other words, their build like a brick S... house. You might expect to possibly have to replace some house items if everything is still original but even so, when I replaced my air conditioners, they both were still functional(switched from 13.5 to 15,000 BTU). With this in mind, even those 13.5 airs could keep the coach "Cold" in 115 degree plus weather! The insulation and the fact its a no slide coach makes for a well sealed unit.

Some other items to look for which I didn't notice in the write up:
Does it have Webasto diesel fired heat?

Is it the Allison HD 4060 trans? (this model Allison was only found in the highest end coaches of the day, Bluebirds, Prevost, Newells etc.) Its a rock solid tranny?

Does it have a true "Jake Brake"?

A Howard Power center steering stabilizer?

I only ask these questions because my coach was appointed with these and it would not be a deal breaker even if the one your looking at doesn't but it would be great if it did.
Good Luck once again and just for reference, I bought mine from a friends repo lot some 11-12 years ago and I paid 40-45,000 less that wholesale Bluebook at the time and Bluebook was roughly 90-95,000! In a word, Id say the price on your unit is EXCELLENT.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

rwplusrw
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Dwight for your valuable post. How do you feel about the purchase price of this coach? Rwplusrw

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seeing that I've owned a Mitchell Motor Coach Vogue for about 11 years now, I can speak fairly confidently about them. Although mine is the Prima Vista 37' with a Cat engine. Mechanically, it has always been fantastic(knock on wood) and in the years I've owned it, I have replaced several house items....Refrig, air conditioners, tires, of course plus I've redone the TV's. That coach your looking at appears to have the original TV's installed particularly if the TV is still between the front seats, just as mine was.

Keep in mind these coaches sold for upwards of 300,000.00 when new and were considered a high end coach in their day. Featherlite bought the Vogue name after Mitchell and continued to build the Vogue coach for several years following 1996, but these were buiult of the Prevost chassis.

The one your looking at appears in Great shape still with a paint scheme close to mine(recently have had issues with clear coat peeling.) I would not worry about the "orphan" status at all...the components of the Vogue, both House and Chassis, were top of the line for there day and are all easily repaired/replaced/maintained. Good Luck with your choice. If you have any questions, feel free to message me.
Dwight
96 Vogue Prima Vista

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I called about that coach almost two years ago. They are a great coach. Do a search on Google for the Mitchell family for some great reading.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

rwplusrw
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for your post. I am three weeks into the world of rv's and I'm not in a rush to make a purchase but......if there is a great deal, ya never know. But at this point I wouldn't know a great deal if it bit me on my hind leg. So much to learn and research. This is a great place to get me on the good road.

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
That is a great looking coach. Before you buy check the code dates on the tires. If they are over seven years old you will need to look at replacement. That is not an issue just be aware that new tires will add another $3500 to your purchase price. Good luck with your decision.
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is that the TV on the floor between the front seats? If it is it might be a little difficult to see and it may be tough to find another location with good visibility.
The TV in the bedroom is one of the older types and might need to be changed to receive the newer over the air channels. Not a big deal to change out.
Do an internet search for 1996 Vogue Prima Vista 300 and you will find them listed for from $69,000 to $88,000. This makes me wonder why this one is so much less. I think it looks fantastic but the lower price makes me want to make sure that I get it thoroughly inspected.

st687
Explorer
Explorer
Parliament Motor Coach in Clearwater Fl. should have the paper work on the Vouge line of coach's
Doris &Bill
97 U270 Foretravel
08 Saturn Vue 3.6L
University of Parris Island March 1966
Semper Fi.:)

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
rwplusrw wrote:
I'm as green as one can be in the world on RVing. I have found a beautiful 1996 Mitchell coach and it is perfect budget wise for a newbe. I know this coach is out of business so I'm asking all the questions you can think of on if I should or shouldn't buy the coach. any input is openly welcome. If you will take a look at it. Thank you ahead of time.

http://www.rvt.com/Mitchell-Coach--1996-Alvarado-TX-ID5626129-UX50219

WOW, that is one clean looking well taken care of coach (from the pics). The good.... it's been driven and used. 100,000 miles is not too bad as those engines, if maintained, can go many, many more miles.

Let us know what you end up doing.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

rwplusrw
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Clicky

Welcome to the forum.
If a coach is an 'orphan', or is no longer built, that would not stop me from buying one.
Condition is the important thing when purchasing a used unit.

The chassis and drivetrain components are available.
The interior systems are usually made by individual companies, so replacements will be available.

You may want to hire a RV Tech and/or mechanic to do a pre-purchase inspection.

Keep us updated on your decision.

Thank you gbopp. I'm not sure we are ready to pull the trigger just yet but I really love the look of the Mitchell even without slides.

rwplusrw
Explorer
Explorer
Effy wrote:
I don't know much about this brand, but by all appearances it looks very nice. Well kept. As long as you don't mind the Don Jonson 80's white interior.

I actually don't mind at all. It's rather refreshing after looking at some RV interiors that leave me scratching my head.