cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Motor homes and earth quakes.

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
We are headed for Bakersfield with our 40 ft. Newmar in a few days and they have experienced some strong quakes in that are in the past couple days. Has anyone had any experience with earth quakes?
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !
40 REPLIES 40

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Southern California resident for 48 years. I can't recall seeing or hearing about any parked/stored RV flipping over.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE wrote:
I'd rather be it a Motorhome than a house. It's made to bounce around.

assuming it stays upright.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
TNGW1500SE wrote:

X2
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
It will dance around some, but not to worry. The big springy things will handle it.

We've been on some pretty rough ferry rides, nothing to worry about.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
If the shake, rattle and roll of the highways don't ruin your MH under normal driving directions, I don't see where the earthquakes are going to do much to you except scare the wits out of you. MHs are sure to be safer than being inside any structures - even if you're steadying it with your levelers.

(Unless there's a quake like the 1959 quake in Alaska.)
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
if you think driving a motor home through some of calif's pot holes is bad, wait until you ride it out in a quake.

2bzy2c
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am in Southern California and for a few days, it was really rocking and rolling. (I am on the coast).

The main area is inland from Bakersfield. Yes the strong aftershocks might be felt, but I would not be overly concerned. You are in an RV and it rocks more that an earthquake just driving on the freeway.

The people in the desert nerves are worn, no doubt. But away from the epicenter, it is business as usual.
My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
MHs will be fine in most earthquakes...just like you. No reported deaths from either of the two big boys or the aftershocks. You are a Californian without quake experience?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
yes but on tbe top floor of a13-story bldg, not in a vehicle. wasn't a major quake but not something i'd want to experience again. aftershocks in SoCal are likely to continue for the next 10-14 days and some could be big. if you don't have to go i wouldn't.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have seen minor ones but nothing like SoCal got. If I were you I would stay home and make sure the larder is fully stocked, there is no defense when ma nature decides to flex her muscle.